Green tomato recipes?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I have a bunch of green tomatoes that we are not going to eat. Soooo, the guests need to eat them. We're having the cheesy potato pie tomorrow. So I can't bake anything tomorrow. Frying won't work in the morning. Any other recipes out there that I can make tonight and serve cold or slightly warmed up?

You could do a green tomato salsa on the side for the pie:
[tr][td]Prep Time: 15 minutes[/td][/tr] [tr][td]Serving Description: makes approximately 2 cups[/td][/tr] [tr][td]
spacer.gif
[/td][/tr] [tr]Ingredients[/td][/tr] [tr] [tr] -[/td]
spacer.gif
[/td] 6 green tomatoes, coarsely chopped[/td] [/tr] [tr] -[/td]
spacer.gif
[/td] 1 jalapeño, large, seeded and finely chopped[/td] [/tr] [tr] -[/td]
spacer.gif
[/td] 6 green onions, finely chopped[/td] [/tr] [tr] -[/td]
spacer.gif
[/td] 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil[/td] [/tr] [tr] -[/td]
spacer.gif
[/td] 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice or red wine vinegar[/td] [/tr] [tr] -[/td]
spacer.gif
[/td] 1 teaspoon kosher salt[/td] [/tr] [tr] [/td]
spacer.gif
[/td] freshly ground black pepper, to taste[/td] [/tr] [tr] -[/td]
spacer.gif
[/td] 1/4 cup sweet onion, finely chopped[/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table]Combine them all; cover and let sit for at least two hours at room temperature or overnight in the fridge.

will you try ripening them with an apple in a paper bag? or do you just want to cook up the green ones? i have ripened some hard greens this way, just check the bag every day and remove the ripe ones. surprised myself with success on that.

What??? No fried green tomatoes?! That would be the way to fix them here. I like the idea of Muirford's salsa, too.

will you try ripening them with an apple in a paper bag? or do you just want to cook up the green ones? i have ripened some hard greens this way, just check the bag every day and remove the ripe ones. surprised myself with success on that..
seashanty said:
will you try ripening them with an apple in a paper bag? or do you just want to cook up the green ones? i have ripened some hard greens this way, just check the bag every day and remove the ripe ones. surprised myself with success on that.
I just want to use them as is and get some mileage out of serving green tomatoes. I found a green tomato cake recipe on About. Might try that.

will you try ripening them with an apple in a paper bag? or do you just want to cook up the green ones? i have ripened some hard greens this way, just check the bag every day and remove the ripe ones. surprised myself with success on that..
seashanty said:
I just want to use them as is and get some mileage out of serving green tomatoes. I found a green tomato cake recipe on About. Might try that.
Did you make the green tomato cake? If so, how was it?

seashanty said:
Yes, how did the green tomato cake work out?

seashanty said:
Haven't made the cake, yet. I've been excessively lazy this week...

I make a Green Tomato Breakfast Cake (recipe from Relishmag.com) that the guests love...
Let me see if I can figure out how to post a recipe...
Mary Jo

I make a Green Tomato Breakfast Cake (recipe from Relishmag.com) that the guests love...
Mary Jo.
mjsgeorgia said:
Mary Jo
Click the 'recipe' link and fill in the amounts with a short description. Then fill in the directions.

Mary Jo.
mjsgeorgia said:
Mary Jo
Click the 'recipe' link and fill in the amounts with a short description. Then fill in the directions.
Dumb question...how do i set it to single space instead of double space?

Mary Jo.
mjsgeorgia said:
Mary Jo
Dumb answer...I don't know.

Mary Jo.
mjsgeorgia said:
Mary Jo
OK i think i posted it....

Mary Jo.
mjsgeorgia said:
Mary Jo
No ingredients...see if you can edit it to add the ingredients. If not, just start over. Do NOT do a 'preview recipe' just save it. I think 'preview' or whatever it is, erases everything.

Mary Jo.
mjsgeorgia said:
Mary Jo
No ingredients...see if you can edit it to add the ingredients. If not, just start over. Do NOT do a 'preview recipe' just save it. I think 'preview' or whatever it is, erases everything.
That's what happened, I previewed it. Just edited it...think it's right now.

Mary Jo.
mjsgeorgia said:
Mary Jo
That's what happened, I previewed it. Just edited it...think it's right now.
Looks good.

Green tomato cake is in the oven. It must be something like carrot cake. There's a lot more 'tomato' than batter.
And I didn't use this recipe on here. I had already printed out another one. SImilar, but the tomatoes are in the batter, not on top.

Green tomato cake is in the oven. It must be something like carrot cake. There's a lot more 'tomato' than batter.
And I didn't use this recipe on here. I had already printed out another one. SImilar, but the tomatoes are in the batter, not on top..
Bree said:
And I didn't use this recipe on here. I had already printed out another one. SImilar, but the tomatoes are in the batter, not on top.
Pls let us know how it turns out. I can see this being useful for those who prematurely drop off the vine.

I made it yesterday AM and used just 1 green tomato, it came out great...many compliments! You're right, though, 2 tomatoes seems like too much.
Mary Jo

Back