Greetings fron A Newbie!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello dear folks! I am happy I found you! I am a disabled, married, woman who came up with the idea to turn a familie's house into a bed and breakfast after their last renters trashed it.
The man and his wife were very interested and asked me to do the numbers/basically write a business proposal. Thing is, they don't want to run it and so I recruited the people I knew would reflect an excellent work ethic and diverse skills. They and I will run the place...literally.
Now, I don't know that if the owners will go through with it once they see the numbers; after all, they really don't know me but I know that the place will make more than it does now and it will be cared for and protected.
I came here to find mentors and friends to help me sort through a few issues with what I am trying to do. I appreciate any positive, honest advice/counsel.
Thank you!
Mama Bea

Welcome. Search and read some past threads. We have been through lots of them with aspirings. Have you taken any aspiring workshops? That is the first thing you should do. Have you ever worked or even stayed in a B & B?
When you stated "disabled" a red flag went up for me. I don't know what your disability is, but you have got to work hard and long running a B & B. Can you do this???

Welcome. Ask away - and be prepared for the answers. Some have asked and gone away angry when we answered truthfully from our point of view(s). "Sugar-coated" in not in the vocabulary here.

Kind of curious what your role will be? You said you've come up with the right folks to run the place, someone else owns it and you're drawing up a business plan. So, when the place opens, what hat will you be wearing?

Welcome!
Read the message boards, then tell us more about your vision.I'm curious though, you're going to do the business plan and you're going to run it. I hope that if this thing comes together, you'll have a percentage of ownership.

Hello Folks,
Thank you for your responses. I will answer each as I am able.
Although I am disabled (please do not be as prejudicial and presumptuous as to think a disabled person is not fit for hard work). Many are not physically able but most that I know have been discouraged by such attitudes of prejudice. I will state that my disability allows me to be a high-functioning, creative, resourceful and practical person; I maintain both my dignity and self discipline.
My Role will be as The Primary Innkeeper. I will develop the SOP, help set the tone of the environment, do the marketing, train housekeepers, cook the breakfast, dinners and some catering when needed. I will be the liaison between the Inn, employees and the owners. My percentage will be enough to keep me motivated and enjoy the work. Later, as per contract, the percentage will increase as the Inn's revenues increase.
The second lady's role is as a Relief Innkeeper, trainer, housekeeper and PT office management.
The third lady is the office manager. She will set up and maintain all office need; reservations, requests and do all the book keeping except the taxes and stand in where needed.. Someone else is already paid to do the accounting.
Each one of us will learn each others jobs so that all bases are covered, no matter what. The other 2 ladies will be on salaries that will meet the need of the Inn for the first year and those said salaries will be re-negotiated every 3 to 6 months, based on increasing or decreasing revenues.
The owner will receive the lions share because they are willing to put up the financing (the building, running costs, inventory labor costs, etc), for the next 3 to 5 years.
I, myself, have a very diverse list of skills. I recently retired from the vocation as an Executive Housekeeper and Manager for estates, ran a rather large B&B alone for 2 years, trained in carpentry, stone work, sous chef and performed post and pre-construction cleaning over the last 20 years. My Vocation as a Professional Domestic spans 44 years. I am married 25 years and until recently, we grew and processed 90% of out own food. LOL So, yes, I am well aware of the hard work of running an Inn and making it profitable.
This said, I am not an arrogant person. I KNOW that I still have a great deal to learn and continue to do so. I seek it out tenaciously and refuse to be dissuaded by negative or malicious advice.
People are often very mean-spirited these days. I let them have that. I have dreams to explore, a wonderful friend/husband and work to do. I am 58 years old (sometimes going on 80 and other times 30). IF I feel angry over someone's comment, I ask myself why first, observe and then craft an answer or response that hopefully brings forth clarification. It usually leads to understanding and always seems to provide me with information I can use.
As a Black woman, I have never had the luxury of people sugar coating anything they say or do when it concerns myself.
So, there you have it.
I appreciate the questions and I will continue to seek out any counsel in the forum that will propel me forward. The rest will vanish in the ether.
My mother says, "Even fools and the hate-filled have kernels of truth hidden within their statements. Put it on their coat for what warmth it will provide you and hand it back."
Thank you for the welcome!
Mama Bea

Hello Folks,
Although I am disabled (please do not be as prejudicial and presumptuous as to think a disabled person is not fit for hard work). Many are not physically able but most that I know have been discouraged by such attitudes of prejudice. I will state that my disability allows me to be a high-functioning, creative, resourceful and practical person; I maintain both my dignity and self discipline.
My Role will be as The Primary Innkeeper. I will develop the SOP, help set the tone of the environment, do the marketing, train housekeepers, cook the breakfast, dinners and some catering when needed. I will be the liaison between the Inn, employees and the owners. My percentage will be enough to keep me motivated and enjoy the work. Later, as per contract, the percentage will increase as the Inn's revenues increase.
The second lady's role is as a Relief Innkeeper, trainer, housekeeper and PT office management.
The third lady is the office manager. She will set up and maintain all office need; reservations, requests and do all the book keeping except the taxes and stand in where needed.. Someone else is already paid to do the accounting.
Each one of us will learn each others jobs so that all bases are covered, no matter what. The other 2 ladies will be on salaries that will meet the need of the Inn for the first year and those said salaries will be re-negotiated every 3 to 6 months, based on increasing or decreasing revenues.
The owner will receive the lions share because they are willing to put up the financing (the building, running costs, inventory labor costs, etc), for the next 3 to 5 years.
I, myself, have a very diverse list of skills. I recently retired from the vocation as an Executive Housekeeper and Manager for estates, ran a rather large B&B alone for 2 years, trained in carpentry, stone work, sous chef and performed post and pre-construction cleaning over the last 20 years. My Vocation as a Professional Domestic spans 44 years. I am married 25 years and until recently, we grew and processed 90% of out own food. LOL So, yes, I am well aware of the hard work of running an Inn and making it profitable.
This said, I am not an arrogant person. I KNOW that I still have a great deal to learn and continue to do so. I seek it out tenaciously and refuse to be dissuaded by negative or malicious advice.
People are often very mean-spirited these days. I let them have that. I have dreams to explore, a wonderful friend/husband and work to do. I am 58 years old (sometimes going on 80 and other times 30). IF I feel angry over someone's comment, I ask myself why first, observe and then craft an answer or response that hopefully brings forth clarification. It usually leads to understanding and always seems to provide me with information I can use.
As a Black woman, I have never had the luxury of people sugar coating anything they say or do when it concerns myself.
So, there you have it.
I appreciate the questions and I will continue to seek out any counsel in the forum that will propel me forward. The rest will vanish in the ether.
My mother says, "Even fools and the hate-filled have kernels of truth hidden within their statements. Put it on their coat for what warmth it will provide you and hand it back."
Mama Bea.
She didn't mean it like that - we have had many many people through this forum who were burnt out by the work required to run a B&B - they like many others believed it was flitting about doing a bit of breakfast and then the rest of the time being the gracious host.
My question would be what's the average room rental where you are? and how many rooms? its just I myself am 11 bedrooms and have myself, husband and 1 chamber maid who easily do everything - 3 staff plus paying the owner seems a little staff heavy - but it depends on size and other extras ie could you do weddings etc = which would require extra staff - our biggest expense is our chamber maid despite the fact she has 8 weeks of holiday a year (4 unpaid)!

Hello Folks,
So, there you have it.
Mama Bea.
Is this going to be a really large inn? Or in a really busy location? I'm reading there are at least 3 employees plus the principals.
I have a 7 room place and no way could I support myself and 3 employees. When we have help it's no more than 1 person for 20 hours/week. And that person only does the room cleaning.
Being the primary will you also be given a place to live? Will it be required by the state, town, county, insurance that a staff member be on site at all times?
Tons of regulations you'll need to find out about for wherever you are. Altho, many states have no regulations at all!

Hello Folks,
So, there you have it.
Mama Bea.
If I came off as being hateful, I am really sorry since it was not meant that way. No one was trying to "get your back up". Re disabled, having been married to someone with one non-working leg and one non-working hand and arm for almost 40 years, I know what disabled can do and not do - depending on WHAT is disabled, which you did not state. Good luck to you.

Hello Folks,
So, there you have it.
Mama Bea.
She didn't mean it like that - we have had many many people through this forum who were burnt out by the work required to run a B&B - they like many others believed it was flitting about doing a bit of breakfast and then the rest of the time being the gracious host.
My question would be what's the average room rental where you are? and how many rooms? its just I myself am 11 bedrooms and have myself, husband and 1 chamber maid who easily do everything - 3 staff plus paying the owner seems a little staff heavy - but it depends on size and other extras ie could you do weddings etc = which would require extra staff - our biggest expense is our chamber maid despite the fact she has 8 weeks of holiday a year (4 unpaid)!
I am not sure what she meant but I stated what I meant and what often occurs. None of what was written did I interpret as hateful; I answered honestly and to the point.
As I stated: 3 staff...(.the owners carry the financials and they actually will not be running the place at all. (The owners will get the lions share of the profit because they put up the capital for ALL of it.) They have 2 other properties they want developed if this one is profitable in 6 months. By that, they mean a 25% profit over what they have made on the house just renting it out as a family home. The previous tenants trashed it so badly it cost them 2 months rent to barely get it clean. That is why they are entertaining the B&b idea.
4 Rooms and a Casita under construction. The services we offer, render the need for what you call a heavy staff. Executives, government reps and corporations demand labor intensive service as do honeymooners, visiting entertainers and bridezillas. LOL.
Wedding staff will be sub-contracted as will catering for over 20 people. We have very talented small businesses here and I want to keep the resources as locally produced as possible.
The average hotel here is 100 to 189 per night. None offer the services we will.
The market study and return letters of interest show that the room rates are attractive to our target markets.
We have one B&B which does not offer high end services but fixes unholy-great breakfasts' and they have a small bakery we will use for specialty breads.
We will also have a Macro Spa for the guests by reservation, using independents in the area and will be booked for locals on other days.
It's a lot of work and we haven't even started spending money. The upside is that the house and land is free and clear as is the other properties.
The numbers will tell the whole story though which then the owners will have to decide if they really want to put up or shush up. They may even decide to use a professional agency specializing in this kind of development (I gave them a list of reputable companies).
Either way, I benefit from the process and the effort I have put into writing out the plan and SOP. I'm excited, amazed, happy, driven, intimidated and tenacious...all at the same time. No one loses; even if the numbers scare the heck out of them.
We have stayed in a lot of B& B's over the years. All of them had different personalities and specialties and we loved every one of them. I can only hope this one (if it manifests) is nearly as wonderful.

Hello Folks,
So, there you have it.
Mama Bea.
I am not sure what she meant but I stated what I meant and what often occurs. None of what was written did I interpret as hateful; I answered honestly and to the point.
As I stated: 3 staff...(.the owners carry the financials and they actually will not be running the place at all. (The owners will get the lions share of the profit because they put up the capital for ALL of it.) They have 2 other properties they want developed if this one is profitable in 6 months. By that, they mean a 25% profit over what they have made on the house just renting it out as a family home. The previous tenants trashed it so badly it cost them 2 months rent to barely get it clean. That is why they are entertaining the B&b idea.
4 Rooms and a Casita under construction. The services we offer, render the need for what you call a heavy staff. Executives, government reps and corporations demand labor intensive service as do honeymooners, visiting entertainers and bridezillas. LOL.
Wedding staff will be sub-contracted as will catering for over 20 people. We have very talented small businesses here and I want to keep the resources as locally produced as possible.
The average hotel here is 100 to 189 per night. None offer the services we will.
The market study and return letters of interest show that the room rates are attractive to our target markets.
We have one B&B which does not offer high end services but fixes unholy-great breakfasts' and they have a small bakery we will use for specialty breads.
We will also have a Macro Spa for the guests by reservation, using independents in the area and will be booked for locals on other days.
It's a lot of work and we haven't even started spending money. The upside is that the house and land is free and clear as is the other properties.
The numbers will tell the whole story though which then the owners will have to decide if they really want to put up or shush up. They may even decide to use a professional agency specializing in this kind of development (I gave them a list of reputable companies).
Either way, I benefit from the process and the effort I have put into writing out the plan and SOP. I'm excited, amazed, happy, driven, intimidated and tenacious...all at the same time. No one loses; even if the numbers scare the heck out of them.
We have stayed in a lot of B& B's over the years. All of them had different personalities and specialties and we loved every one of them. I can only hope this one (if it manifests) is nearly as wonderful.
Good that you already have your target market lined up and have contacted them to find out if they were willing to work with you.
That's a lot of the work already taken care of.
Sounds like another innkeeper on here who decided to open a tea room, contacted everyone, got set up and opened within 2 weeks. Last we heard things were going well.

Welcome!
Read the message boards, then tell us more about your vision.I'm curious though, you're going to do the business plan and you're going to run it. I hope that if this thing comes together, you'll have a percentage of ownership..
My vision is to create a more resort-like B&B that although community minded, will cater to the high end clients who come to Safford but drive from an hour and a half to stay in Tucson or fly out of here and stay in Phoenix resorts. They would rather stay in town but dislike the lack of amenities and services they receive in a resort (or so they tell me).
I want to keep our inventory and other services supplied by local businesses and court local business owners to use the B&B for their meetings, cocktail and business parties and their visiting families, bishops.
As for percentage of ownership, it will be an LLC and frankly, I don't care to own it....any of it. I want to create a very different kind of B&B, enjoy it, love cooking and decorating it and retire quietly 10 years from now, having brought to life a dream I have had since learning the domestic arts. The beauty and importance of providing people with a memorable experience in lodging and community, is priceless to me. LOL However, if it comes about, rest assured, I WILL be paid fairly for my work.
This forum is GREAT! Thank you all so much for asking me the hard questions. It helps more than you may know.

Hello Folks,
So, there you have it.
Mama Bea.
Good that you already have your target market lined up and have contacted them to find out if they were willing to work with you.
Sounds like another innkeeper on here who decided to open a tea room, contacted everyone, got set up and opened within 2 weeks. Last we heard things were going well.
WOW! Now that is WAY amazing! The permits alone here will take 2 months .lol

Hello Folks,
So, there you have it.
Mama Bea.
WOW! Now that is WAY amazing! The permits alone here will take 2 months .lol
She was already running her b&b so knew everyone to contact. :)

Hello Folks,
So, there you have it.
Mama Bea.
The Safford Inn said:
I'm excited, amazed, happy, driven, intimidated and tenacious...all at the same time.
Good qualities to have!
thumbs_up.gif

Welcome!
Read the message boards, then tell us more about your vision.I'm curious though, you're going to do the business plan and you're going to run it. I hope that if this thing comes together, you'll have a percentage of ownership..
My vision is to create a more resort-like B&B that although community minded, will cater to the high end clients who come to Safford but drive from an hour and a half to stay in Tucson or fly out of here and stay in Phoenix resorts. They would rather stay in town but dislike the lack of amenities and services they receive in a resort (or so they tell me).
I want to keep our inventory and other services supplied by local businesses and court local business owners to use the B&B for their meetings, cocktail and business parties and their visiting families, bishops.
As for percentage of ownership, it will be an LLC and frankly, I don't care to own it....any of it. I want to create a very different kind of B&B, enjoy it, love cooking and decorating it and retire quietly 10 years from now, having brought to life a dream I have had since learning the domestic arts. The beauty and importance of providing people with a memorable experience in lodging and community, is priceless to me. LOL However, if it comes about, rest assured, I WILL be paid fairly for my work.
This forum is GREAT! Thank you all so much for asking me the hard questions. It helps more than you may know.
I would say if you are organising services ie massages etc make the client pay up front - otherwise you will get people who change their mind last minute (ie its a sunny day we would rather do XYZ) and you end up in a problem with your supplier - and you have to carry on living and working with them, the client doesn't.

Back