Groups

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenW

Reaction score
just reading a post from Arks and it was something I am working through now. We have a few groups that stay we enjoy hosting.Then there is the neighbor rv/camping business just down the road from us who is in the beach/adventure wedding business. They don't have accommodations and refer them to us which we don't want because of issues we have had with things being broken, unwanted guests on our property. For you that exclude groups, how do you handle it? With direct bookings we sometimes can catch it because of emails we receive. Is it posted on your site? Do you cancel bookings that are group?

We require a 50% deposit, 30 day cancellation, and entire stay paid in full 30 days out, no refunds, must book all rooms. That tends to weed out people who are not serious.

However, they get around us by booking individually days apart. At that point we’re three rooms in and they’ve already screwed up the balance between the group and everyone else. It doesn’t happen often, but it’s a pain when it does.

You could try tightening your policies and making them very prominent. Include language like, “please do not invite guests to join you here.” “ quiet hours are 9-7 and are strictly enforced. Please respect our neighbors and other guests.”
Then, when you suspect a wedding group, go over the policies verbally at checkin and remind them that they are strictly enforced.

I think we say groups or related parties of more than 2 rooms fall under different rules. Like Arks, I see a group as more work, not someone to get a discount (maybe I should qualify that as a weekend/holiday group). Our issue is with youth or ski groups that tend to fall apart and desire to cancel with little or no notice if weather is not ideal. Usually the requirement to pay in advance with no cancellation is sufficient in our case.

...pay in advance with no cancellation is sufficient in our case.

I like that! I don't really want their business, and this helps assure I won't get their booking, and if I DO get it, that I'll be paid for the risk of booking the whole place with great possibility of cancellation, and the risk of the mess the housekeepers and I will have to deal with after they leave.

This is on the confirmation, should the guest actually read it:
"Guests and Non-Registered Guests:
For everyone’s safety and consideration, only registered guests are permitted on the property unless permission has been obtained by the innkeepers. If you are planning activities that may include non-registered guests, please call and ask if we can accommodate you before you make your reservation. Only registered guests are allowed in the guest rooms at any time. Non-registered guests are permitted to use the common areas (dining room, parlors, porch) with registered guests. Non-registered guests are not allowed on the premises after 10:00 PM."

We used to have the guests sign their registration when they checked in. When they book online, they have to acknowledge they have read the policies. We are doing a trial with Whistle, so we can reintroduce a registration form via text for the guest to sign electronically - this will be helpful for phone reservations.

Back