Grrr...I find out I'm annoying

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CafeMae

Reaction score
We just opened and for the past couple weeks, this potential guest has been flirting with staying at our inn...so many emails, and an offer of how she would like to pay in an alternative breakdown - a 5% reservation fee instead of the whole shebang up front. End of story, she ends up not staying with us and in a budget hotel instead -OK, no biggie.
But get this, after visiting the area, she follows up with me, because she really wants to "help me". She writes me an email suggesting some updates to the pictures on my website. Not that we don't have pictures, just that she would like different angles. She doesn't like an aerial view, she wants a picture looking out from our terrace...with more trees...grr...because she wants to be my friend and is considering moving to the area...grr...
And the worst part - I believe she's sincere in really trying to "help me". And I could picture myself in another world trying so earnestly trying to "help someone" just like she is....and I realize I can be really annoying.
Drat.

Congrats on opening!
Our first month here everyone wanted to tell us how to do everything better than we were doing it. This is after the inn had been open for 17 years. But we were new so we must not know anything.
Listen to all suggestions and if something strikes you as a good one, use it. Otherwise, it's your baby!
Every last person on this forum is annoying. We're always trying to 'help'.
wink_smile.gif

Welcome to the "Oh you are only new at this" club, that goes on for years... it is some form of innkeeping initiation me thinks.
Congrats on opening and have fun with the great guests who will come across your threshold and enjoy all your efforts!
cheers.gif

Tell her you'd like to see some pictures of her trapped overseas with no way to send email or otherwise communicate.

I had one guy tell me all about how the light was comming through a crack in the curtains - with helpful schematics of light hoods and all sorts! was very polite with him and we did put up a black out blind that no one uses.
I usually just smile and say well I hadn't thought of that and I will certainly have a think about it.

Congrats on opening! Now welcome to the world of guests thinking they need to tell you how to do everything. It gets better as time goes on. I was so glad after my first year of being an innkeeper because it sounded so much better when asked how long I'd been doing it.
I think you also probably learned a good lesson with this woman. You want to find guests who are a good fit for your property and you. Someone who from the beginning of their conversation with you asks to break your rules (bending is ok, breaking only means trouble) is not a good match!
Listen to what they say, take the good and toss the bad.
Oh yeah.....welcome to the annoying club! We're all in it!

With a lot of these crazies its all about them feeling like they are heard - its as simple to make them happy as pretending to take them seriously.

I had a guest tell me I needed to provide local marketing, things to see and do around here. (Yeah me, you all know me that is what I do 100%, even in the guest rooms I have pages of hikes and itinerary and things to see/do). Advice is worth what you pay for it. In this innstance, zero value.

Their opinions and 25c might get you a phone call at a phone booth... if you can still find one and it's still just 25c for the call.

Unless she heads up the biggest web design company in the world. tell her to butt out!!! Actually, just avoid having anything more to do with her. You don't need this kind of help. We can give you all the help you want right here.
poke.gif

Unless she heads up the biggest web design company in the world. tell her to butt out!!! Actually, just avoid having anything more to do with her. You don't need this kind of help. We can give you all the help you want right here.
poke.gif
catlady said:
poke.gif
Agreed, if you want some feedback, you know we are here for ya!

Thanks guys, it was great to hear from you...made me laugh and stop growling...mostly...

Congrats on your new inn, just like everyone said-just take whats good and throw the rest out. And if its e-mail you know you can just delete delete delete her e-mails or better just send them the junk drawer
he he he :)

Remember the feeling... it will help you fine tune your PITA radar. Congratulations on your opening.

Congratulations on your recent opening! We'll try not to annoy the hell out of you!
welcome.gif

Back