Grrr...penance for yesterday's free time

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
We did have a lovely afternoon yesterday...3 night minimum for the holiday weekend so we had no check-ins. We got to go for a nice ride in the country, and some hiking with the dog. It was lovely!
Today we have had 4 out of 6 check-ins show up before noon. The first set arrived at 9:45! Thank goodness for DH...he has just been handing out keys and checking them in as they get here...I do NOT have the grace today to be sweet...I'm annoyed and it shows so I am hiding!

Ouch. I'm upset when I get one early arrival, much less 4. Does anyone ever give a reason for arriving so early? Either they were in town already or up at the crack of dawn to get there before 10!

Ours were early today, too. We were out to lunch with friends and they rang the bell twice. Oh well... they are all settled in now.
=)
Kk.

Still waiting for the last two. One used a travel agent to book and she has called twice now today asking for things that we could have easily arranged had she let us know when she made her reservation in March...now it is too late so she's getting a nasty attitude with us on the phone. Blech.
The other one's Webervation said they'd be here at 11 and they still are not! You can't win. Usually getting one here early is the kiss of death, and there's no way they'll all be here on time.

Our B&B sets 1/4 of mile off the road. I close the gate before 3pm. check-in. Problem solved.

Our B&B sets 1/4 of mile off the road. I close the gate before 3pm. check-in. Problem solved..
Nice! We sit right on a major road so no gate but that would be cool...maybe I can get some more of that chain...
teeth_smile.gif

The people who helped themselves to our yard earlier are out there drinking beer again, and all but ran over the 80 year old couple checking in now in their haste to get to the fridge to get more beer. Nice.

The early bird last week (7:45AM) that I posted about had driven overnight I think the trip was 13-15 hours and when they reserved they said they would be here right at 3 as they were driving overnight. After they called again at noon I knew they were just beat so told them to come at 2 instead (this so I could get away earlier to get some items. Then of course, they call at 1:45 asking for a place to get lunch before coming in. GRRR you never win with some folks, never. After they booked they asked for bunches of info to plan their days while here. I think they left much of this at home as they asked me about some things about the big city the next morning. They spent about 1/2 a day there, took a nap then asked where the theatre was. Then the next day they went shopping, and then rest of the time in their room. NO time in the pool or gardens which were dewelled on before booking.
I sure wish I had a long drive and a gate like you Texan. I could do the chain thing too but I would have to chain the entire front yard as I am sure they would drive on the grass - I've experienced that too even with a driveway with entry signs!

The early bird last week (7:45AM) that I posted about had driven overnight I think the trip was 13-15 hours and when they reserved they said they would be here right at 3 as they were driving overnight. After they called again at noon I knew they were just beat so told them to come at 2 instead (this so I could get away earlier to get some items. Then of course, they call at 1:45 asking for a place to get lunch before coming in. GRRR you never win with some folks, never. After they booked they asked for bunches of info to plan their days while here. I think they left much of this at home as they asked me about some things about the big city the next morning. They spent about 1/2 a day there, took a nap then asked where the theatre was. Then the next day they went shopping, and then rest of the time in their room. NO time in the pool or gardens which were dewelled on before booking.
I sure wish I had a long drive and a gate like you Texan. I could do the chain thing too but I would have to chain the entire front yard as I am sure they would drive on the grass - I've experienced that too even with a driveway with entry signs!.
Yes, I was thinking the chain would go well across my drive, but I've had 2 drivers go right across the lawn, completely missing the the entryway between 2 large stone walls. One drove across the lawn and luckily stopped before he went over the stone retaining wall and down the hill. He had to jump the sidewalk to perform that manoeuvre. Made a colossal mess trying to back up.

Hi! I had a check-in show up three hours early while I was still cleaning one of the units! I just welcomed them to Hidden Cove and let them put their bags in the room. I gave them a quick tour and they were off to see the sights until check-in time. No problem! But, I am a beginner. I am sure after years of this, I might get a bit jaded as I go along! I hope not. I want the spirit of this place to be the draw.........the feeling.......the things left unsaid......I want people to create cherished memories here.
Every morning I say a little prayer of meditation to bless my property. Good spirits reside here and I want to encourage more. Two of my guest stays were mother and son, father and daughter. They are both facing life threatening diseases and were here to have special time together. I am honored they chose Hidden Cove.

You have a really good attitude hiddencove. It is important to think the way you do and have the positive thoughts flowing. I try to do that but sometimes I forget and get upset. I get quite a few people trying to check in early when I am in the process of cleaning. It is annoying to have to go down and answer the door and get behind on the work but usually I just have them fill out the paper work and give them their key and they can come back at 3pm and the room will be ready. This way I don't need to wait around any longer for them to check-in. There have been times though where I am totally swamped and can't have interuptions so in that case I don't answer the phone and I put up an sign we have on the front door that says "Sorry we missed you. We will be back at check-in time 3pm. Please take a brochure."

Hi! I had a check-in show up three hours early while I was still cleaning one of the units! I just welcomed them to Hidden Cove and let them put their bags in the room. I gave them a quick tour and they were off to see the sights until check-in time. No problem! But, I am a beginner. I am sure after years of this, I might get a bit jaded as I go along! I hope not. I want the spirit of this place to be the draw.........the feeling.......the things left unsaid......I want people to create cherished memories here.
Every morning I say a little prayer of meditation to bless my property. Good spirits reside here and I want to encourage more. Two of my guest stays were mother and son, father and daughter. They are both facing life threatening diseases and were here to have special time together. I am honored they chose Hidden Cove..
Good for you hidden cove! Keep up the good work. I started with the same attitude and try mightily to hang onto it but sometimes the work gets the better of you. Thankfully there are more good days than bad.
regular_smile.gif

Back