Grrrr!New Computer

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
Vent & Cry
Got my new computer today. I looks like my address book is there - YEA! Many Folders are gone - BOO!!! ALL messages after 2007 that were in my folders - GONE!!
My Favorites List is gone. Back on the learning curve! Now if I could just get the out-going mail to work! I lost all the comments I had saved in a folder from the Veterans and civilians, etc. This is cleaning out your e-mails the hard way. I wish I knew why it saved 2007 for me but erased 2010!
I need a new e-mail program I guess. Outlook and I are not seeing eye-to-eye. It seems that now is the time since everything is gone anyway. Is there anything else that is free?

Who did the switch over for you? There might be a couple of files that are holding your email. You've had these email problems before, right? Outlook saves emails with a filename that is all letters & numbers. If you had issues before, you may have several of these files coantaining different years of email.
Other free email readers:
  • Eudora (however, a quick search shows unhappy W7 users)
  • Thunderbird (Firefox app)
  • this list
I wish you luck.

Who did the switch over for you? There might be a couple of files that are holding your email. You've had these email problems before, right? Outlook saves emails with a filename that is all letters & numbers. If you had issues before, you may have several of these files coantaining different years of email.
  • this list
I wish you luck..
The company that did the switch has an excellent rep. Problem is they are a half hour away and I do not want to pay travel time. Will call them tomorrow again. Looks as if I will have to get a new camera for Skype. Skype is not going to the call screen either. Not going to worry about too much tonight. 80 some e-mails to read yet from the time I unplugged the old computer (still have them because they were on the server).

• this list
I wish you luck..
The company that did the switch has an excellent rep. Problem is they are a half hour away and I do not want to pay travel time. Will call them tomorrow again. Looks as if I will have to get a new camera for Skype. Skype is not going to the call screen either. Not going to worry about too much tonight. 80 some e-mails to read yet from the time I unplugged the old computer (still have them because they were on the server).
If they missed some of your emails, they should drive over for free. Not saying they are not reputable, just that they missed something.

How about switching over to a gmail account? I gave up on using the email programs that comes with the computers because of the same problem you are having. I love being able to be at any computer in the world and accessing my mail and it is all there. I've never lost an email since I have been using gmail and i just love it.

Most new computers have free remote access like log me in. The co that fixed it should be able to remote in and look save you the drive. If they or your computer does not have it, you can download a free trial of gotomypc.com
I agree, they probably compressed your files and forgot to unzip, hopefully

Most new computers have free remote access like log me in. The co that fixed it should be able to remote in and look save you the drive. If they or your computer does not have it, you can download a free trial of gotomypc.com
I agree, they probably compressed your files and forgot to unzip, hopefully.
Yeah I love that Logmein program. I use that to help my grandparents when they have a computer problem. I can see what is on their screen as they see it and control their desktop form my computer.

I discovered the sending problem at almost 5 PM. He is coing to call me tomorrow with something he can see my screen with.. If I could get Skype working again we could have used that.
I do not use g-mail or hotmail because I want it to be more professional by having the @myhouse.com address on my e-mail. I just need to check out the stuff Alibi sent me for other programs to use. My server is good, it is just the ourlook that keeps killing me.
All in all, if aI was going to lose something, it is better thazt it was the e-mails than my address book - he DID save that!

I discovered the sending problem at almost 5 PM. He is coing to call me tomorrow with something he can see my screen with.. If I could get Skype working again we could have used that.
I do not use g-mail or hotmail because I want it to be more professional by having the @myhouse.com address on my e-mail. I just need to check out the stuff Alibi sent me for other programs to use. My server is good, it is just the ourlook that keeps killing me.
All in all, if aI was going to lose something, it is better thazt it was the e-mails than my address book - he DID save that!
If there is a new version of Outlook on the new computer it may work much better than the old one. I think the old one was corrupted somewhere along the way and you kept getting that corrupted program loaded and reloaded. Outlook isn't bad, but there are better readers out there. There are days I wish (not too loudly) that Outlook would erase all my email so I could start anew. I'd be in the same situation in a month so why bother wishing. And I'd lose a lot of photos I'm not sure I'd get back kids being what they are.

Thunderbird is a good choice for email.
I think they imported an old backup file of your email and not the most current one.

Back