Guess I should have Explained

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that is really interesting, we get many visitors from Europe and they all seem to prefer savory breakfasts hands down. I always cringe when it is something sweet, they will devour the meet and then pick. But eggs, they eat every bite. We have folks from UK here today and I'm serving pancakes, we'll see!!!.
We alternate savory-sweet. So, the Brits will get 2 of each while here. Scrambled eggs-pancakes-omelets-french toast. They haven't left anything behind yet AFTER the ubiquitous bowl of cereal!
We just serve whatever is up 'next' no matter who is here. It is what it is.
Alibi Ike said:
We alternate savory-sweet. So, the Brits will get 2 of each while here. Scrambled eggs-pancakes-omelets-french toast. They haven't left anything behind yet AFTER the ubiquitous bowl of cereal!
This is exactly how we do it too, hubs sits down every week and does a schedule. First priority is making sure the multi-nighters get something different every day, then incorporating special needs (veggie, no nuts, etc.).
We have repeat guests coming in on Monday for 10 nights. I used to struggle coming up with something different for them every day, but finally realize they are not picky and they eat everything, so we will plan a 5 day menu and just repeat it.
That is how I did it...I would plan it out for at least a week. If we had longer stays, then I would plan it out for that period of time. I found that it was easier to shop that way and also cooking breakfast was one of the most fun parts for me as an innkeeper.
chef.gif
Of course, sometimes the menu might have to be tweaked a bit if there were special needs but I had items in the pantry.

Well that is really interesting, we get many visitors from Europe and they all seem to prefer savory breakfasts hands down. I always cringe when it is something sweet, they will devour the meet and then pick. But eggs, they eat every bite. We have folks from UK here today and I'm serving pancakes, we'll see!!!.
Alibi Ike said:
This is exactly how we do it too, hubs sits down every week and does a schedule. First priority is making sure the multi-nighters get something different every day, then incorporating special needs (veggie, no nuts, etc.).
We have repeat guests coming in on Monday for 10 nights. I used to struggle coming up with something different for them every day, but finally realize they are not picky and they eat everything, so we will plan a 5 day menu and just repeat it.
Don Draper said:
Alibi Ike said:
When we 'run out' of ideas (day 8) we ask the extended stays which breakfasts they liked best.
That tickles me...you plan a week in advance. We plan 2 minutes before he walks out the door to go to the grocery store!
You plan that far in advance? I wake up in the morning and start thinking about what I'm going to make. I only think a little ahead when it's GF, like this morning. I had to be up at 7AM to make the GF batter, because it had to sit for an hour.
Which reminds me.... I have some coffee left over, time to make me some cold coffee for the afternoon.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
You plan that far in advance?
;) We have to have the food in the house, so we need that extra 16 hours...
You normally don't have food in the house?
We will do up to 14 days of different breakfasts if a guest is staying that long. When it gets that long I usually have to start keeping a list. Of course, in the past week we haven't had a guest stay past 3 days... so I can repeat at will. We do switch sweet to savory and try to not always do so many "egg" dishes. But there is one dish you will never see me serve unless it's a very special request... eggs and bacon. In fact, we hardly ever make bacon.
Now, my pumpkin ginger bread... that even the neighbour comes running for!
I have to admit that I certainly have more than 14 different breakfasts. I likely could easily go another 14 days without repeating, but we do have the factor of seasonality of products. I'm almost past scape season. Peach season is about to begin. Strawberries are still plentiful, but I'm not sure how long that will last. Yellow plums have started.

Alibi Ike said:
That is how I did it...I would plan it out for at least a week. If we had longer stays, then I would plan it out for that period of time. I found that it was easier to shop that way and also cooking breakfast was one of the most fun parts for me as an innkeeper.
chef.gif
Of course, sometimes the menu might have to be tweaked a bit if there were special needs but I had items in the pantry.
Yes, I enjoy cooking too and it's so much easier when it's time to cook and you can just get started because everything you need is right there in the fridge! We also find we waste much less if we plan meals that "go together" (i.e., a French Toast dish followed by an egg casserole that uses up the end pieces of the bread that you used for the French Toast).
DH is an engineer so we're pretty stream-lined. Plus the grocery store is far and a MAJOR hassle, so needing to go only once a week makes for much happier innkeepers. We are fortunate to get eggs and milk delivered fresh every week which keeps our supplies up to date.

Alibi Ike said:
Don Draper said:
Alibi Ike said:
When we 'run out' of ideas (day 8) we ask the extended stays which breakfasts they liked best.
That tickles me...you plan a week in advance. We plan 2 minutes before he walks out the door to go to the grocery store!
You plan that far in advance? I wake up in the morning and start thinking about what I'm going to make. I only think a little ahead when it's GF, like this morning. I had to be up at 7AM to make the GF batter, because it had to sit for an hour.
Which reminds me.... I have some coffee left over, time to make me some cold coffee for the afternoon.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
We will do up to 14 days of different breakfasts if a guest is staying that long. When it gets that long I usually have to start keeping a list. Of course, in the past week we haven't had a guest stay past 3 days... so I can repeat at will. We do switch sweet to savory and try to not always do so many "egg" dishes. But there is one dish you will never see me serve unless it's a very special request... eggs and bacon. In fact, we hardly ever make bacon.
I have to admit that I certainly have more than 14 different breakfasts. I likely could easily go another 14 days without repeating, but we do have the factor of seasonality of products. I'm almost past scape season. Peach season is about to begin. Strawberries are still plentiful, but I'm not sure how long that will last. Yellow plums have started.
Right now I have the fixings for FT because that's what we're having. Tomorrow we'll be having some sort of egg dish and we'll have to go out for more eggs. I've already made zucchini bread for the starter for tomorrow. There's probably a half loaf of whole wheat bread in the fridge. A couple boxes of sausages. Some bacon (we do serve it rather frequently). Random bits and bobs.
We shop everyday unless it's really quiet. It's not just about getting the food, it's about the other half getting out of the house everyday. But we've been doing it like that for years and it helps him, so we keep doing it that way. If he is gone and I'm in charge, I make a menu plan and shop once. I hate shopping.

Alibi Ike said:
chef.gif
Yes, I enjoy cooking too and it's so much easier when it's time to cook and you can just get started because everything you need is right there in the fridge! We also find we waste much less if we plan meals that "go together" (i.e., a French Toast dish followed by an egg casserole that uses up the end pieces of the bread that you used for the French Toast).
DH is an engineer so we're pretty stream-lined. Plus the grocery store is far and a MAJOR hassle, so needing to go only once a week makes for much happier innkeepers. We are fortunate to get eggs and milk delivered fresh every week which keeps our supplies up to date.
The advantage of living in a walkable neighbourhood...
  1. 750 m small grocery store
  2. 800 m small grocery store
  3. 1 km medium grocery store
  4. 1.2 km medium grocery store
  5. 1.5 km large grocery store
The one I like to drive to... is a whole 3.5 km away.
And if I need something in an emergency, the closest corner store is a whole 180 m away. Heck, Costco is only 4.5 km away. And the city's central market... just 5.5 km away.
Now saving money at the grocery store... that involves a heck of a lot more and planning breakfast against what's on sale. I haven't seen a good sale on eggs in a couple of weeks. We keep an extra refrigerator for when items go on sale. One supermarket is getting used to me buying a dozen cartons of eggs when they are on sale :)

Alibi Ike said:
chef.gif
And if I need something in an emergency, the closest corner store is a whole 180 m away. Heck, Costco is only 4.5 km away. And the city's central market... just 5.5 km away.
Now saving money at the grocery store... that involves a heck of a lot more and planning breakfast against what's on sale. I haven't seen a good sale on eggs in a couple of weeks. We keep an extra refrigerator for when items go on sale. One supermarket is getting used to me buying a dozen cartons of eggs when they are on sale :)
I think here what we're saving is sanity. We're definitely not saving money!

Alibi Ike said:
Don Draper said:
Alibi Ike said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Right now I have the fixings for FT because that's what we're having. Tomorrow we'll be having some sort of egg dish and we'll have to go out for more eggs. I've already made zucchini bread for the starter for tomorrow. There's probably a half loaf of whole wheat bread in the fridge. A couple boxes of sausages. Some bacon (we do serve it rather frequently). Random bits and bobs.
We shop everyday unless it's really quiet. It's not just about getting the food, it's about the other half getting out of the house everyday. But we've been doing it like that for years and it helps him, so we keep doing it that way. If he is gone and I'm in charge, I make a menu plan and shop once. I hate shopping.
I usually freeze cinnamon bread for French Toast and today we finished the last one and I don't see the bread on sale this week, so that might have to wait a while. They were having silly sales on hamburger and hot dog buns, so we are using them to make strata or baked french toast.
I do have bacon in the house, both crumbled and pre-cooked. I never have raw bacon in the house... never. I can't stand the smell filling the house. We finished my banana bread, but I have some leftover bananas, so I guess I should make another.
I am planning on making some quiche, though... I have lots of veggies from the farmer, including a new bunch of scape.
garlic+scape,+3.jpg

Alibi Ike said:
Don Draper said:
Alibi Ike said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I usually freeze cinnamon bread for French Toast and today we finished the last one and I don't see the bread on sale this week, so that might have to wait a while. They were having silly sales on hamburger and hot dog buns, so we are using them to make strata or baked french toast.
I do have bacon in the house, both crumbled and pre-cooked. I never have raw bacon in the house... never. I can't stand the smell filling the house. We finished my banana bread, but I have some leftover bananas, so I guess I should make another.
I am planning on making some quiche, though... I have lots of veggies from the farmer, including a new bunch of scape.
garlic+scape,+3.jpg

I should throw those in something this weekend, too.

Alibi Ike said:
Don Draper said:
Alibi Ike said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
garlic+scape,+3.jpg

I should throw those in something this weekend, too.
Either in my omelettes or in the quiche. They have such a nice flavour. I gotta see what the farmer brought and what I have left. Kohlrabi... that gets pureed and put in :)

Alibi Ike said:
chef.gif
we are 5 mins away from a 24hour large supermarket and within 2km of another 3 and a short walk from half a dozen small ones. from my years in the hotel industry who didn't tend to plan very well I had to know what was open on xmas eve or 6am on a sunday. I always say you have to know your emergency shops.

Alibi Ike said:
chef.gif
We are a walkable, historic downtown....with no grocery store!! We've been lobbying for one since we moved here. We do have a street market with local farm goods on Saturday mornings during the Summer and early Fall months.
The grocery shopping is really not good here which is why I try to go to the store as infrequently as possible.

Alibi Ike said:
chef.gif
I think here what we're saving is sanity. We're definitely not saving money!
Often, saving your sanity is a whole lot more important!!
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

DinnerTool is a weekly meal planner helping moms solve the nightly question, what's for dinner? Search for recipes, chinese recipes, create meal plans, and export the ingredients of your dinner recipes to a printable grocery list. Beyond recipes and shopping lists, moms can find articles, videos and blogs on easy dinner recipes, healthy dinner recipes and more

Back