Guess I should have Explained

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussie Innkeeper

Reaction score
Yesterday...One family of 4 from Italy; one couple from France. Fortunately, the Italians were very fluent in English and also spoke French, cuz I don't speak either.
Anyway, knowing that our European guests usually perfer the sweet rather than the savory breakfast, I served an apple and cranberry tart as the main entree with an apple cider reduction on the side in a little shot glass to pour over the tart.
They drank the reduction! Guess I should have told them what it was!

That's hilarious!
I wish we were in a location that had more foreign travelers. I really enjoy the interaction with them.

Brilliant!
Like my Greek Opera singer who was told "No No No! You cut the biscuit in half and butter it!" and he cut it right down the center, in half.
(PS where we live, there is a term called Apple Pie that comes to mind, but typically comes in a mason jar)
cheers.gif
They must have thought they were in the Appalachians

I have had French guests put sour cream in their cereal, thinking it was yogurt.... 14% fat sour cream.

I have had French guests put sour cream in their cereal, thinking it was yogurt.... 14% fat sour cream..
I've had a run of guests lately who pick up the pint bottle of half and half and dump it on their cereal. Then look at me when they realize, hey, that was pretty thick and it tastes awful.
I am now, right now actually, making a little sign that says 'Half and half, not milk' in the hopes that even if they don't hear me saying, 'That's not milk,' they will read the little sign. (ha ha ha, my little fantasy world)
We used to do individual pats of butter in seasonal shapes. Almost every single UK guest exclaimed, 'Oooo, chocolates!' Sorry, but really? Chocolates on the table at breakfast? Sign me up if that's what happens back home!

I have had French guests put sour cream in their cereal, thinking it was yogurt.... 14% fat sour cream..
I've had a run of guests lately who pick up the pint bottle of half and half and dump it on their cereal. Then look at me when they realize, hey, that was pretty thick and it tastes awful.
I am now, right now actually, making a little sign that says 'Half and half, not milk' in the hopes that even if they don't hear me saying, 'That's not milk,' they will read the little sign. (ha ha ha, my little fantasy world)
We used to do individual pats of butter in seasonal shapes. Almost every single UK guest exclaimed, 'Oooo, chocolates!' Sorry, but really? Chocolates on the table at breakfast? Sign me up if that's what happens back home!
Alibi Ike said:
Milk with have in an old milk bottle. And cream is a small creamer, marked "coffee cream". For the French, they want warm milk for their coffee anyway.... they don't want it cooled by cold milk.

Alibi Ike said:
Milk with have in an old milk bottle. And cream is a small creamer, marked "coffee cream". For the French, they want warm milk for their coffee anyway.... they don't want it cooled by cold milk.
France French or Canadian French?
We have mini moos out for anyone who wants 'room temp' creamer.
Couldn't do my sign. The printer won't accept the small placecard I was trying to use so I have to find a bigger card that is not overwhelming.

ive had really cute guests this week from Brazil and Portugal the brazil ones never made it down to breakfast! (in 4 days) every day they swore they would! never mind. but they love us they love england they love etc everyone they have met here is lovely etc (getting a bit much mind) but beats the pants of PITA's

Well that is really interesting, we get many visitors from Europe and they all seem to prefer savory breakfasts hands down. I always cringe when it is something sweet, they will devour the meet and then pick. But eggs, they eat every bite. We have folks from UK here today and I'm serving pancakes, we'll see!!!

Well that is really interesting, we get many visitors from Europe and they all seem to prefer savory breakfasts hands down. I always cringe when it is something sweet, they will devour the meet and then pick. But eggs, they eat every bite. We have folks from UK here today and I'm serving pancakes, we'll see!!!.
Don Draper said:
Well that is really interesting, we get many visitors from Europe and they all seem to prefer savory breakfasts hands down. I always cringe when it is something sweet, they will devour the meet and then pick. But eggs, they eat every bite. We have folks from UK here today and I'm serving pancakes, we'll see!!!
Our overseas guests HATE sweet breakfasts, they detest them. But they love sweets. Just not at breakfast.

Well that is really interesting, we get many visitors from Europe and they all seem to prefer savory breakfasts hands down. I always cringe when it is something sweet, they will devour the meet and then pick. But eggs, they eat every bite. We have folks from UK here today and I'm serving pancakes, we'll see!!!.
Don Draper said:
Our overseas guests HATE sweet breakfasts, they detest them. But they love sweets. Just not at breakfast.
*Sigh* Vegetarian...sure would have been nice to know in advance!
This has been a real bear of a breakfast week. Yesterday made a beautiful vegetable and egg frittata and 6 full pieces of it came back untouched. I did NOT offer anything else. I love when adults act like children and just push the food around on the plate. If you can't even TRY it then just forget it. GROW UP!!!!

We alternate savory-sweet. So, the Brits will get 2 of each while here. Scrambled eggs-pancakes-omelets-french toast. They haven't left anything behind yet AFTER the ubiquitous bowl of cereal!
We just serve whatever is up 'next' no matter who is here. It is what it is.

We alternate savory-sweet. So, the Brits will get 2 of each while here. Scrambled eggs-pancakes-omelets-french toast. They haven't left anything behind yet AFTER the ubiquitous bowl of cereal!
Alibi Ike said:
This is exactly how we do it too, hubs sits down every week and does a schedule. First priority is making sure the multi-nighters get something different every day, then incorporating special needs (veggie, no nuts, etc.).
We have repeat guests coming in on Monday for 10 nights. I used to struggle coming up with something different for them every day, but finally realize they are not picky and they eat everything, so we will plan a 5 day menu and just repeat it.

Don Draper said:
This has been a real bear of a breakfast week. Yesterday made a beautiful vegetable and egg frittata and 6 full pieces of it came back untouched. I did NOT offer anything else. I love when adults act like children and just push the food around on the plate. If you can't even TRY it then just forget it. GROW UP!!!!
Don Draper said:
I love when adults act like children and just push the food around on the plate. If you can't even TRY it then just forget it. GROW UP!!!!
Have you seen that V8Fusion commercial where the guy takes his broccoli and dunks it in the veggie dip and then just licks off the dip? "Don't you wish vegetables didn't taste so vegetable-ly?" I get this overwhelming urge to reach right into the tv and SMACK that guy!
I think I need to get out more.

Don Draper said:
Don Draper said:
I love when adults act like children and just push the food around on the plate. If you can't even TRY it then just forget it. GROW UP!!!!
Have you seen that V8Fusion commercial where the guy takes his broccoli and dunks it in the veggie dip and then just licks off the dip? "Don't you wish vegetables didn't taste so vegetable-ly?" I get this overwhelming urge to reach right into the tv and SMACK that guy!
I think I need to get out more.
LOL...YES!!! And yes, we all need to get out more...
regular_smile.gif

Alibi Ike said:
This is exactly how we do it too, hubs sits down every week and does a schedule. First priority is making sure the multi-nighters get something different every day, then incorporating special needs (veggie, no nuts, etc.).
We have repeat guests coming in on Monday for 10 nights. I used to struggle coming up with something different for them every day, but finally realize they are not picky and they eat everything, so we will plan a 5 day menu and just repeat it.
Don Draper said:
Alibi Ike said:
When we 'run out' of ideas (day 8) we ask the extended stays which breakfasts they liked best.
That tickles me...you plan a week in advance. We plan 2 minutes before he walks out the door to go to the grocery store!

Alibi Ike said:
Don Draper said:
Alibi Ike said:
When we 'run out' of ideas (day 8) we ask the extended stays which breakfasts they liked best.
That tickles me...you plan a week in advance. We plan 2 minutes before he walks out the door to go to the grocery store!
You plan that far in advance? I wake up in the morning and start thinking about what I'm going to make. I only think a little ahead when it's GF, like this morning. I had to be up at 7AM to make the GF batter, because it had to sit for an hour.
Which reminds me.... I have some coffee left over, time to make me some cold coffee for the afternoon.

Alibi Ike said:
Don Draper said:
Alibi Ike said:
You plan that far in advance? I wake up in the morning and start thinking about what I'm going to make. I only think a little ahead when it's GF, like this morning. I had to be up at 7AM to make the GF batter, because it had to sit for an hour.
Which reminds me.... I have some coffee left over, time to make me some cold coffee for the afternoon.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
You plan that far in advance?
;) We have to have the food in the house, so we need that extra 16 hours...

Today, a guest took the spoon from the sour cream and put it directly in his mouth, licked it clean... and then put it back in the shared sour cream container. No explaining can help that.

Today, a guest took the spoon from the sour cream and put it directly in his mouth, licked it clean... and then put it back in the shared sour cream container. No explaining can help that..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Today, a guest took the spoon from the sour cream and put it directly in his mouth, licked it clean... and then put it back in the shared sour cream container. No explaining can help that.
EEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back