Guest add ons - balloons

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Question #1: Do you are have you ever offered balloons for special celebrations at your inn?
Before I go to the trouble of putting this together I thought I would ask, I know we have had people come by with balloons, surprising people for events, and such. Have you ever offered this and has anyone ever taken you up on it?
Next question: How much do you charge? Do you charger per balloon or an amount overall? ie $15 or is it part of a package, cake and balloons?

Nope, never done it. Seems like there wouldn't be much profit margin and a pain to get them because you would have to pick them up close to the arrival time/date.

Nope never did it. If you were close to the dol l a r t r ee, then you maybe could make something on it. But if you have to drive a half hour each way, at the last minute, I wouldn't bother with it.

Nope, never done it. Seems like there wouldn't be much profit margin and a pain to get them because you would have to pick them up close to the arrival time/date..
Never have done them. I agree that you'd have to get them pretty much the same day as arrival or they will start to deflate. Flowers I order and she delivers them to me the day I want. With truffles I can pick them up anytime that same week and they are still fresh and yummy so it gives me more leeway. Also, what if they want to get into picking specific balloon sayings, etc., it could get out of hand.

Balloons as part of the birthday but it's so hard to get even balloons here that last until the guest checks in.
I budget $5 for one balloon. Dh ends up paying $10 because they're all out of everything else and no one is there in the floral dept to blow up more.
Like the idea better than flowers, tho.

I offer a birthday package. I won't piece it out, so I don't know what an acceptable price per balloon would be. My birthday package consists of an 1/8 sheet personalized cake, a birthday banner, and 6 colored balloons and one mylar. I charge $39 for all of it.

I would think you would have to at least double the cost of the balloons to make it worth your trouble. At least double.

we have done it twice this week - makes a nice add on - however we have a party shop 2 mins walk away that does balloons in all shapes styles and anything you need to run any kind of party so its easy for us to do.

I offer a birthday package. I won't piece it out, so I don't know what an acceptable price per balloon would be. My birthday package consists of an 1/8 sheet personalized cake, a birthday banner, and 6 colored balloons and one mylar. I charge $39 for all of it.

I would think you would have to at least double the cost of the balloons to make it worth your trouble. At least double..
BananaE29 said:

I would think you would have to at least double the cost of the balloons to make it worth your trouble. At least double.
and have you had people order it? This is what I want to know, is it popular? Thanks Nanner.
When I lived overseas I worked for a Russian family and when I would say Banana they would all laugh holding their sides. Then tell me "it is Buh-nah-nah" :) I hear that every time I see your name, btw. Of course now, as yourself living south of the Mason Dixon we have Nanner puddin'

we have done it twice this week - makes a nice add on - however we have a party shop 2 mins walk away that does balloons in all shapes styles and anything you need to run any kind of party so its easy for us to do..
Joey Camb said:
we have done it twice this week - makes a nice add on - however we have a party shop 2 mins walk away that does balloons in all shapes styles and anything you need to run any kind of party so its easy for us to do.
How many do you provide if I may ask JoeCambs?

I would think you would have to at least double the cost of the balloons to make it worth your trouble. At least double..
BananaE29 said:

and have you had people order it? This is what I want to know, is it popular? Thanks Nanner.
When I lived overseas I worked for a Russian family and when I would say Banana they would all laugh holding their sides. Then tell me "it is Buh-nah-nah" :) I hear that every time I see your name, btw. Of course now, as yourself living south of the Mason Dixon we have Nanner puddin'
Joey Bloggs said:
It's not as popular as the champagne or wine packages, but maybe six or eight a year? I don't promote it because it is more of a hassle than the others. But it's easy enough to up sell when you find out they're coming for a birthday.

Banana rhymes with my first name, and I was called that all throughout childhood and even at my last job :)

Ok, so I was thinking how this could be easy and I remembered my daughter's graduation when I bought a helium tank for about $35 that would blow up between 30-50 balloons depending on the size. So if you bought some of the balloons at discount store or online and had your own tank, you could make a nice bouquet the day they were arriving and not have to go to the store. Figure about $1-$1.50 for the helium in each and another $1 of the balloon. So for one mylar and 4 small latex it would cost you about $6 so you'd want to charge closer $15-20 to make it worth your time and effort. Is this too much?

I saw someone use hard plastic sticks that you attached the balloons to. It made it look like they were floating with helium, but none of the gas problems. :)

Going to the store is not an issue, we have a dollar store that opened this month. I go to the grocery store across the street a few times a week. That is not the issue, nor the cost, just wondering if anyone is really interested in ordering it, perhaps if it were with a birthday cake, like some suggested. It is a cheap easy thing to do, but not worth the hassle if noone wants it and just takes up more space online. :) Thanks for the replies.

If I know one of the guests is having a B-day, I just put the balloon in the room...no charge - "just because".
If they request a B-day "package", then add on cake or chocolates, then yes I charge based on the cost + about 65% mark-up.

we have done it twice this week - makes a nice add on - however we have a party shop 2 mins walk away that does balloons in all shapes styles and anything you need to run any kind of party so its easy for us to do..
Joey Camb said:
How many do you provide if I may ask JoeCambs?
first was an anniversary - spent a lot of money with us so we did a balloon and chocolates as a comp as we knew it would make them laugh
2nd was a request from the guest ie its himself's birthday could we have 3 helium balloons - charged $2 extra per balloon than cost

Back