guest admits damage

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somewhere in Paradise

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am in a big dilema on what to do with this situation...
We almost experience some type of damage from each guest, usually small - like a broken glass, broken beach chair, beach towel left in rental car, etc. usually just enough to irriate, but not enough to call a guest about it. Only 2 times has a guest every apologized or replaced the item.
We just had the most wonderful guests check - out. I am sure they will be repeats and I am sure they will recommend others.
He accidently put a burn mark on my rug with an iron - in a very obvious spot of course, one of his kids knocked it over. After he left he sent a very apologetic e-mail about it - and offered to pay for it.
The rug is not very expensive - maybe about 100.00 to replace, but is only a few months old and will absolutely need to be replaced.
Our room rates are about 90.00 per night , and he stayed 5 nights......
Do I take him up on it?
Do I charge replacement value?
Is it better to say forget it? Just please say nice things about us?
If I say forget it will he feel weird about coming back?
I really appreciate the input. I guess I never realized how delicate of a situation something like this could be. All the complaining about guests doing damage then just leaving, now that I have a good one I don't know what to do! I wish he would have just left a note and some cash!

Somewhere in Paradise said:
Do I take him up on it?
Definitely take him up on it. If it were me, I'd charge replacement value. So is it still in new condition and worth $100 or would you say it's somewhat depreciated?
For something like an iron burning a rug, I don't think it's better to just forget about it. I think he would, indeed, most likely feel weird about coming back if he didn't pay something.
The only question is how much. Chances are, though, that he's going to be pleasantly surprised at the relatively small amount the rug will cost.
If I really wanted him to come back, I'd probably offer him something in the way of thanks for coming clean so quickly on the damage. A free upgrade next time he visits perhaps. Something, though, to let him know that despite the damage (and subsequent charge) that he and his family would be welcome to come back.
But still, I would charge him for the damage he did.

I've had two guests admit to breaking water glasses. I appreciated them telling me. Thankfully they were cheap. I told them not to worry about it, but thanks for letting me know.
Last year I had minor surgery but the doc didn't want me to strain my abdomen. I stepped on a wooden stool to get to the taller bed. I let the innkeeper know and she said she would just glue it again. (You mean it was GLUED???) I am a larger person, but do not think my weight should have broken that stool.
Last year a patio door screen was bent. The previous guests would NOT have done it. We had countless construction guys in between the two guests. When our next guests from Germany left, we noticed it. They consumed massive quantities of beer, but were always ultra polite. I asked each couple of there was a problem with the screen door, but did not get a reply from either. COULD have been the construction guys I guess...

It was damage done by his child and he is offering to pay. If you think the replacement will be $100, then charge $100. If they were coming back anyway, I don't think taking the money will make them change their minds, but you just never know. Sometimes people tell these stories to their friends and the friends say, 'You PAID them? They made all that money and they CHARGED you? I would never go back there.'
It's irrelevant, I think, about the price of the room. Probably because the higher the price of the room, the more expensive the furnishings are likely to be, so it's relative.
Look at it this way...you let it go, they come back next year and the kid does something equal or worse. They won't expect to be charged, will they?

Do I take him up on it?
Definitely take him up on it. If it were me, I'd charge replacement value. So is it still in new condition and worth $100 or would you say it's somewhat depreciated?
For something like an iron burning a rug, I don't think it's better to just forget about it. I think he would, indeed, most likely feel weird about coming back if he didn't pay something.
The only question is how much. Chances are, though, that he's going to be pleasantly surprised at the relatively small amount the rug will cost.
If I really wanted him to come back, I'd probably offer him something in the way of thanks for coming clean so quickly on the damage. A free upgrade next time he visits perhaps. Something, though, to let him know that despite the damage (and subsequent charge) that he and his family would be welcome to come back.
But still, I would charge him for the damage he did..
Good point, IF he pays up, to let them know they are welcome back. Which, the way I think, could cause this reaction, 'Of course we're welcome back, look how much they charged us for that ratty rug.' (NOT implying the rug was anything less than wonderful, just saying how things get turned around in someone's mind.)
Maybe they went home and did research on area rugs which is why they didn't just fess up in the first place!

Do I take him up on it?
wow you guys are good! I feel better already!
What do you think if I offered the money he paid towards replacing the rug towards his next visit ? Assuming he will be staying a week or so next time?

Do I take him up on it?
What do you think if I offered the money he paid towards replacing the rug towards his next visit ? Assuming he will be staying a week or so next time?
No.
Then you are still out the money, still have to replace the rug, etc.
How about this...if you feel you MUST do something, have a LITTLE thank you in the room next time. But that's like a continual reminder.

Wow! Allow him to pay his debt, good for him for being up front and offering to pay like any decent human being would. He wants to make it right, and that is a good thing!

I agree with those that say that he should pay for the damage. Sooo many people say they are coming back, maybe he will, maybe he won't but you are out a rug in the mean time and he (his family) is responsible. If they come back then great! In the mean time you have a replacement for the damage done.
After he has sent you the money, send them a nice thank you card with a personal note hoping they will come back to see you soon. I believe this is what Ms. Manners would say.

I am still fighting the woman who broke the leg off a victorian chair (in JULY)! who admitted to the damage and agreed to pay for it.
I charged her card and now she's claiming that it is not a valid transaction and its a forgery. I have spent endless hours fighting with this person over a $150 repair.
If he agreed to pay for it, great. Strike while the iron is hot and ask for him to send you a check.
Good luck and let us know how it ends up.

Do not make the mistake of making it "too inexpensive". Remember you have an establishment that has value. Too inexpensive and they will think you are not "top drawer".
I would word it that you do have to charge for the damaged carpet but do not want to have them feel you are taking advantage of them, therefore you will only charge them for a portion of the cost and have posted a charge of ______ to their credit card. (Or send an invoice if they are going to pay with a check.) If a portion of the cost is $100 sobeit (consider the sales tax as the rest of the portion. You need not tell the guest what the cost was.

I agree CH. We had a guy call to cancel and I told him the policy and he said okay, then his wife called and went on and on about how she liked the place and looks forward to coming back with two other couples. She wasted my time and I was irritated as I knew what she was about to do.
Then at the end of the conversation after sweet talking she asked meekly "Are you still going to charge us?" I just laughed and said "I already did." Then she hung up ticked off. I said to the phone "And an extra charge for wasting my time!"
I don't fall for that - whatever you call it, I am sure there is a proper term for it. Other than "This isn't my first rodeo lady"

Do I take him up on it?
No.
Then you are still out the money, still have to replace the rug, etc.
How about this...if you feel you MUST do something, have a LITTLE thank you in the room next time. But that's like a continual reminder.
Agreed. The rug's damaged, the guy has owned up to it, agreed to pay. Charge him for it.
If you do something nice for him, it should be really to make sure the guy is not too embarrassed to come back. It doesn't have to be the full value of the rug, if your gentle offering has any value at all.
Oftentimes, just a nice note is all anyone needs.
But the rug won't be happy at all with that. The rug needs to be replaced. Charge him for that.

Do I take him up on it?
No I wouldn't do that. That would be a double hit. You'd be paying to replace the rug and losing income on a return visit. Offer him a discount maybe, but not the purchase price of a new rug.

Update on this one. I sent the guest a very sweet email telling him that I wanted to come up with a fair amount without risking losing him as a guest. I told him the rug cost 100.00 and let him decide what he thought was fair.
He mailed the check within a few days and it cleared.
I guess the only thing to find out now is if he will return.
I really hope he will, he and his family were really wonderful.

I agree CH. We had a guy call to cancel and I told him the policy and he said okay, then his wife called and went on and on about how she liked the place and looks forward to coming back with two other couples. She wasted my time and I was irritated as I knew what she was about to do.
Then at the end of the conversation after sweet talking she asked meekly "Are you still going to charge us?" I just laughed and said "I already did." Then she hung up ticked off. I said to the phone "And an extra charge for wasting my time!"
I don't fall for that - whatever you call it, I am sure there is a proper term for it. Other than "This isn't my first rodeo lady".
"This isn't my first rodeo lady".....I like that one. I have had three damages in seven years (chair, drapes,dish) Two people paid but no one has come back.Guilt feeling I guess ?? One person was very heavy..this could be another subject...Mary in Bridgewater

If a guest destroyed the sheets on a bed would you charge them the replacement value for new sheets or a standard fee?

If a guest destroyed the sheets on a bed would you charge them the replacement value for new sheets or a standard fee?.
Even knowing the 'back story' I would still have to say COB. They didn't 'deliberately' destroy the sheets (like would be the case if they'd used scissors), so it could have happened to anyone. NOW, had it been a comforter, I'd say charge them because I don't expect guests to be SO 'in the moment' that they couldn't get stuff out of their way.
In which case it would be a 'standard' fee as I would have to buy a new comforter and bedskirt in most cases and in some cases a matching set for the second bed.

I charged them. You soil my sheets you pay. I didn't charge for the mattress protector that got soiled as well. I did not charge an extravagant amount either. It isn't the cost of doing business to ruin sheet sets, a small spot here or a small stain is understandable. I took photos and sent with the statement...isn't that special. Hope he enjoys them.
End of year guests suck!

Back