Guest Amenities

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That article that was out a couple of weeks ago said that the more you paid for your hotel room, the fewer amenities that came with it. But $4 for in-room Coffee!!??? OMG!! That's highway robbery! Did it come with a barista, too?
Bath sheets - that's all we have. I hate the little 'standard' sized towels. Those things don't fit anything 'standard' unless you're talking about a 6 y/o.
We also offer soda, bottled water, beer, wine and port. Rarely have we ever had anyone take advantage.

I recently returned from a few days in Las Vegas, stayed at "THE hotel" at Mandalay Bay. The in-room coffee was $4/cup!! I couldn't believe it. The coffee packet was shrinkwrapped inside the coffee cup and the sticker on it said if you open the coffee package, $4 will be added to your bill.
The room came with a really nice, lighted minibar with fridge below the granite counter, a bar sink, and glass shelves above where they had on display the various alcoholic treats they had to offer. There as a note on the minibar that said, "This minibar is not for private use. If you use the minibar without buying any of its offerings, $25/day will be added to your bill".
So, if you set your own bottle of wine or whiskey on the minibar, instead of buying theirs, they threaten to charge you a $25 "corkage fee".
It was a beautiful place. Every room there is a suite with large flatscreen TVs in the living room and bedroom and a smaller flatscreen in the bathroom. Each suite has a bath and a half, with two sinks in the main bathroom, plus separate tub and shower. Just pure luxury. But the silly coffee charge and minibar threat will assure I'll never stay at that place again. Couldn't believe the extra charges for what anybody these days expect to be included amenities..
That is shocking! So you just get the bed and the bathroom? Too funny. I would be afraid to touch anything.
Happy Keeper said:
That is shocking! So you just get the bed and the bathroom? Too funny. I would be afraid to touch anything.
You also get a fabulous view of the Las Vegas strip and use of the furniture and 3 TV's, but yes, I was a bit paranoid about the minibar. I used it, of course, with the ice and wine glasses they furnish and for the bottle of wine and bottle of Scotch I brought with me, but was careful to move them to the bedroom dresser when I left the room, for fear a housekeeper would see what a bad boy I am. Just silly.
Fabulouse suite, though. Here's a virtual tour. At the bottom you can select to tour the living room/half bath or the bedroom/full bath. In bedroom view, just keep "driving" right through the closed bathroom door to see the bathroom with double sinks, separate water closet, huge deep tub and separate shower stall. I could have lived there!

Just thought I'd mention something that we're trying that actually seems to be working. I know this won't work for larger B&Bs, but for smaller ones that have a set time for breakfast, this might work for you. I mention this, because you might be able to modify it for your situation.
From the get go, we have had a set breakfast time of 8:30. We only feed four people at a time because we only have two rooms.
We've made a wonderful connection with a local wedding venue not to mention that many of our guests are here for a romantic weekend. Though there was never any grumbling to our face, we sensed that 8:30 was too early for some, especially honeymooners.
Enter the "Lazy Morning Option". Breakfast time is extended to 10 a.m. and checkout is extended from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. We've had several takers and most end up coming to breakfast not too much later than 8:30 and leave about noon. We charge an extra fee for this "service" that doesn't cost us a cent. The 1 p.m. checkout gives us enough time to turn the room by 3 p.m. and breakfast is usually something that's easy to spread out over several hours like omellets or pancakes.
We include the "Lazy Morning Option" as part of our romance package (slightly discounted) so we can sell all the extras like flowers, champagne and chocolate with a greater profit margin.

I recently returned from a few days in Las Vegas, stayed at "THE hotel" at Mandalay Bay. The in-room coffee was $4/cup!! I couldn't believe it. The coffee packet was shrinkwrapped inside the coffee cup and the sticker on it said if you open the coffee package, $4 will be added to your bill.
The room came with a really nice, lighted minibar with fridge below the granite counter, a bar sink, and glass shelves above where they had on display the various alcoholic treats they had to offer. There as a note on the minibar that said, "This minibar is not for private use. If you use the minibar without buying any of its offerings, $25/day will be added to your bill".
So, if you set your own bottle of wine or whiskey on the minibar, instead of buying theirs, they threaten to charge you a $25 "corkage fee".
It was a beautiful place. Every room there is a suite with large flatscreen TVs in the living room and bedroom and a smaller flatscreen in the bathroom. Each suite has a bath and a half, with two sinks in the main bathroom, plus separate tub and shower. Just pure luxury. But the silly coffee charge and minibar threat will assure I'll never stay at that place again. Couldn't believe the extra charges for what anybody these days expect to be included amenities..
Happy Keeper said:
You also get a fabulous view of the Las Vegas strip and use of the furniture and 3 TV's, but yes, I was a bit paranoid about the minibar. I used it, of course, with the ice and wine glasses they furnish and for the bottle of wine and bottle of Scotch I brought with me, but was careful to move them to the bedroom dresser when I left the room, for fear a housekeeper would see what a bad boy I am. Just silly.
Fabulouse suite, though. Here's a virtual tour. At the bottom you can select to tour the living room/half bath or the bedroom/full bath. In bedroom view, just keep "driving" right through the closed bathroom door to see the bathroom with double sinks, separate water closet, huge deep tub and separate shower stall. I could have lived there!
Being we have a certain fancy for the whiskeys of Scotland, I think we would have used it as well.

Just thought I'd mention something that we're trying that actually seems to be working. I know this won't work for larger B&Bs, but for smaller ones that have a set time for breakfast, this might work for you. I mention this, because you might be able to modify it for your situation.
From the get go, we have had a set breakfast time of 8:30. We only feed four people at a time because we only have two rooms.
We've made a wonderful connection with a local wedding venue not to mention that many of our guests are here for a romantic weekend. Though there was never any grumbling to our face, we sensed that 8:30 was too early for some, especially honeymooners.
Enter the "Lazy Morning Option". Breakfast time is extended to 10 a.m. and checkout is extended from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. We've had several takers and most end up coming to breakfast not too much later than 8:30 and leave about noon. We charge an extra fee for this "service" that doesn't cost us a cent. The 1 p.m. checkout gives us enough time to turn the room by 3 p.m. and breakfast is usually something that's easy to spread out over several hours like omellets or pancakes.
We include the "Lazy Morning Option" as part of our romance package (slightly discounted) so we can sell all the extras like flowers, champagne and chocolate with a greater profit margin..
Proud Texan said:
We include the "Lazy Morning Option" as part of our romance package (slightly discounted) so we can sell all the extras like flowers, champagne and chocolate with a greater profit margin.
that is a great idea! When we have an employee I may just steal and copy it. We can't do it now because of our wine tours - we leave the inn at 12:30 to run them. But I love that idea as an add on. Do you mind telling me what you charge for it?
RIki

We include the "Lazy Morning Option" as part of our romance package (slightly discounted) so we can sell all the extras like flowers, champagne and chocolate with a greater profit margin..
Proud Texan said:
that is a great idea! When we have an employee I may just steal and copy it. We can't do it now because of our wine tours - we leave the inn at 12:30 to run them. But I love that idea as an add on. Do you mind telling me what you charge for it?
RIki
You can see how I've packaged it: here
egoodell said:
Proud Texan said:
RIki

Proud Texan said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Proud Texan said:
RIki
Just had a special emailed to me for NY's eve - 5pm checkout! Nice one. Obv not expecting anyone in that room the next day.

Proud Texan said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Proud Texan said:
RIki
Proud Texan said:
I keep forgetting they have trees in east Texas.
On the bullet point below, when I click the link it just reloads the same Basic Romance Package page. Is it supposed to go some place else?

Proud Texan said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Proud Texan said:
RIki
Proud Texan said:
On the bullet point below, when I click the link it just reloads the same Basic Romance Package page. Is it supposed to go some place else?
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
You must have pop up blocked, it is a window that pop ups. here it is on a browser page

What about ROOM SIZES? Is this an amenity? I believe so!
I have added a pub table and stools to our largest room. The gal who got the free upgrade and had the teen who refused to eat, was in that room, and the room they actually picked would not even be large enough for their luggage, they had A TON OF LUGGAGE.
Do you boast room sizes on your website? I just decided to add the size of that room to the website, it is tad under 350 sq ft.

Proud Texan said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Proud Texan said:
RIki
Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
You must have pop up blocked, it is a window that pop ups. here it is on a browser page
Joey Bloggs said:
Yes, I block popups but when one tries to appear it always has the "a popup has been blocked...do you want to allow it" message at the top of the screen. This doesn't. It just links to http://www.oakcreekbnb.com/romance.htm# which gives me an "error on page" message.
I guess that's a problem with using popups. Not everybody will see them.

Proud Texan said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Proud Texan said:
RIki
Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Yes, I block popups but when one tries to appear it always has the "a popup has been blocked...do you want to allow it" message at the top of the screen. This doesn't. It just links to http://www.oakcreekbnb.com/romance.htm# which gives me an "error on page" message.
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Yes, I block popups but when one tries to appear it always has the "a popup has been blocked...do you want to allow it" message at the top of the screen. This doesn't. It just links to http://www.oakcreekbnb.com/romance.htm# which give me an "error on page" message.
I have pop ups blocked on chrome as well, but this one came up. I get the same message as you "do you wish to allow it" message.

What about ROOM SIZES? Is this an amenity? I believe so!
I have added a pub table and stools to our largest room. The gal who got the free upgrade and had the teen who refused to eat, was in that room, and the room they actually picked would not even be large enough for their luggage, they had A TON OF LUGGAGE.
Do you boast room sizes on your website? I just decided to add the size of that room to the website, it is tad under 350 sq ft..
JB, I think that the pub table and chairs is definitely an additional amenity.
regular_smile.gif

More of what I was looking for when I asked the original question before this post when off the track....
wink_smile.gif

Larger room sizes are definitely a plus and you should charge more for them!

Proud Texan said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Proud Texan said:
RIki
Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Yes, I block popups but when one tries to appear it always has the "a popup has been blocked...do you want to allow it" message at the top of the screen. This doesn't. It just links to http://www.oakcreekbnb.com/romance.htm# which give me an "error on page" message.
I have pop ups blocked on chrome as well, but this one came up. I get the same message as you "do you wish to allow it" message.
I think I came up with a workaround using CSS and small javascript. Instead of a pop-up, I created an invisible <div> tag that becomes visible when you click the link. Tell me if it works in Internet Explorer or in browsers with popup blockers. If it doesn't I'll have to come up with a simpler solution.
http://www.oakcreekbnb.com/romance.htm
Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:

Proud Texan said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Proud Texan said:
RIki
Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I think I came up with a workaround using CSS and small javascript. Instead of a pop-up, I created an invisible <div> tag that becomes visible when you click the link. Tell me if it works in Internet Explorer or in browsers with popup blockers. If it doesn't I'll have to come up with a simpler solution.
http://www.oakcreekbnb.com/romance.htm
Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
I think I came up with a workaround using CSS and small javascript. Instead of a pop-up, I created an invisible <div> tag that becomes visible when you click the link. Tell me if it works in Internet Explorer or in browsers with popup blockers.
That works perfectly for me! (IE and popup blocker here)

I just wanted to pass along a quote I just read on the Jumping Rocks blog that's worth...passing along:
A hammock is one of the most inexpensive amenities for a hotel or inn to add--can you think of another amenity that says "relax" for less than $100??

I just wanted to pass along a quote I just read on the Jumping Rocks blog that's worth...passing along:
A hammock is one of the most inexpensive amenities for a hotel or inn to add--can you think of another amenity that says "relax" for less than $100??.
Arkansawyer said:
A hammock is one of the most inexpensive amenities for a hotel or inn to add--can you think of another amenity that says "relax" for less than $100??
We have three and they get used. I highly recommend that you get what is called a "Mayan String Hammock". They are incredibly comfortable. We've actually had guests fall asleep in them and unintentionally spend the entire night sleeping in them.

A hammock is one of the most inexpensive amenities for a hotel or inn to add--can you think of another amenity that says "relax" for less than $100??.
Arkansawyer said:
We have three and they get used. I highly recommend that you get what is called a "Mayan String Hammock". They are incredibly comfortable. We've actually had guests fall asleep in them and unintentionally spend the entire night sleeping in them.
Proud Texan wrote:
I highly recommend that you get what is called a "Mayan String Hammock". They are incredibly comfortable.
Thanks for the tip! I notice that one of the websites that sellst them says, "The Mayan people considered the hammock to be a gift from the gods."
The Jumping Rocks guys said when they had a B&B, then even hung them indoors! Hmmm. Thinking now. Get really good hammocks and forget all that matress, sheets, and bedbugs stuff. ;-)

Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan wrote:
I highly recommend that you get what is called a "Mayan String Hammock". They are incredibly comfortable.
Thanks for the tip! I notice that one of the websites that sellst them says, "The Mayan people considered the hammock to be a gift from the gods."
The Jumping Rocks guys said when they had a B&B, then even hung them indoors! Hmmm. Thinking now. Get really good hammocks and forget all that matress, sheets, and bedbugs stuff. ;-)
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan wrote:
... and the punch line is...the hard way, standing up in a hammock.

Back