Guest biorhythms

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to respectfully disagree, I spent 1.5 years living in Tuscany when I was a bit younger and being a barista was the only job I could get because my Italian is so poor. If you order a cafe, you will get an espresso, no one in Italy or most of Europe really knows any other type of coffee and they don't usually have US style coffee pots at all. A 'latte' as we think of it in the US, doesn't exists in Italy either, it just means you want milk in your coffe,which is alwats served warm, akin to a cafe au lait in france. At home, most people use a moka or a mangenette, which is a stove top espresso maker that you boil, and then flip to brew the coffe when it's ready. A moka makes coffee a bit thinner than a pro espresso machine, but it's nowhere near US coffee in taste or consistency. A few places, like hotels in Roma and Firenze will have 'American Style' coffee available at breakfast for tourists, but this is somewhat uncommon as well. A cafe 'Americano' is espresso and boiling water. Just my two cents as a coffe junkie..
I think it sometimes depends on where you are in the country. I found while growing up in Europe that just like we have "soda" "pop" and "cola" here in diferent parts of the country, you can order a type of coffee in one place and 10 miles away they don't know what you are talking about.
For example, when we were in Vienna, Austria, we loved ordering the "Einspinner" coffee. That's coffee with whipped cream on top instead of milk. When we drove to the next town and tried to order it nobody knew what the heck we were talking about.
Riki

If you order coffee in EU you get an espresso, if you order an 'Americano', you get espresso watered down with a bit of hot water..
IvyLee said:
If you order coffee in EU you get an espresso, if you order an 'Americano', you get espresso watered down with a bit of hot water.
Ireland is in the EU and you don't get good stuff there! You get instant coffee loaded with cream and sugar! LOL! But that's okay they have fivebucks there now.
I make a medium roast for decaffers. The thing with decaffers is MOST used to be heavy coffee drinkers, so they like some good flavor in there.

An Americano is just that at fivebucks, espresso watered down with hot water. My husband orders "an Americano with room" and has for 10 years. Room meaning space at the top for half and half creamer.
At home, most people use a moka or a mangenette, which is a stove top espresso maker that you boil, and then flip to brew the coffe when it's ready. A moka makes coffee a bit thinner than a pro espresso machine, but it's nowhere near US coffee in taste or consistency.
We use a moka pot. We take it with us wherever we go as well. The coffee is STEAM DRIVEN upward versus dripped down through a filter. The coffee is ten times better - closer to espresso (we brew it strong) , but actually people here would say similar to a PERCOLATOR. We use a percolator for all guest coffee. The acid is not as high as in drip brewed coffee.

Dh, the coffee lovah, makes the coffee... it doesn't matter if it's decaf or regular, all of his coffee is STRONG, dark roasted, fresh, and potent.
We have cream available for the wussies...
=)
Kk.

Back