Guest biorhythms

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Not sure if that was the right term.
It is so strange how one weekend we can have all old geezers, ahem, I mean older folks, then this weekend we have all young people - up to age 35. Strange the way it plays out. Not sure what the cause is, they are all here for different reasons, not one is the same.
Is it the moon and the sun? Is it the start of the month versus the end?
Have you noticed any patterns like this at your place?

It's not so much the old vs the young so much as it is the US vs the rest of the world. Unless they are here for a wedding, we don't generally have a really young crowd. I haven't met everyone who checked in today (I fell asleep at 5 PM) but I think they are from teens to 50's. Coming up this week I think it ranges from 8 yo to the 8 yo's great grandmother (80-something).
Maybe I notice it more that there are people from around the world than how old they are.
Speaking of 'where guests are from' we have a couple here from GA. I told hubs to buy Diet Coke for breakfast.
regular_smile.gif
The store had 12 pks for $2.50.

It's not so much the old vs the young so much as it is the US vs the rest of the world. Unless they are here for a wedding, we don't generally have a really young crowd. I haven't met everyone who checked in today (I fell asleep at 5 PM) but I think they are from teens to 50's. Coming up this week I think it ranges from 8 yo to the 8 yo's great grandmother (80-something).
Maybe I notice it more that there are people from around the world than how old they are.
Speaking of 'where guests are from' we have a couple here from GA. I told hubs to buy Diet Coke for breakfast.
regular_smile.gif
The store had 12 pks for $2.50..
Hey! Are you saying all folks from GA drink Coke for breakfast?? haha...
teeth_smile.gif
Or is it just the South in general?

Samster - I was wondering that about that Diet Coke statement myself!
Seeing that I was raised in GA, I think my Mama would have taught me that - A GA peach should always have a (diet) coke in hand. (As we run barefoot around the outside of our trailer yellin' for BillieBob to hang up our new Confederate flag.)
Sorry - I could not resist this - GEEZ! Bless all your pea-pickin hearts.

Samster - I was wondering that about that Diet Coke statement myself!
Seeing that I was raised in GA, I think my Mama would have taught me that - A GA peach should always have a (diet) coke in hand. (As we run barefoot around the outside of our trailer yellin' for BillieBob to hang up our new Confederate flag.)
Sorry - I could not resist this - GEEZ! Bless all your pea-pickin hearts..
I was pulling Bree's leg :) Since she's been here to visit us where Coke was invented, I couldn't help myself. Bless her heart....
Actually, I have some Cokes here in the dining room for any Coke drinkers at breakfast & so far the only takers are Yankees! hahahahahahahahaha!

We have what is referred by most our guests as the "Coke Room". A room totally surrounded with coke collectibles and a few other kitchen antiques. We have a 1954 Coke machine (5 ¢ still displayed), 2 button (4ft) signs, large display of trays including the first one with the Coke girl, lots of coke bottles - some from Japan, etc too.
Athough there are signs up on the collectable unopened cokes, we had one idiot guest who took one overnight and left me a note and 2 dollars. It was one of a -then- unboken 6 pack. I was livid. Of course that was only the icing on the cake of the many things she did while here 3 days. Her BF left a sizable tip, not enough to keep her off my PITA and DNR lists.

regular_smile.gif
The store had 12 pks for $2.50..
teeth_smile.gif
Samster said:
teeth_smile.gif
These folks never even asked...but I was READY this time!

I have not had any soda drinkers at breakfast for a few months at least.
Did have decaf today, that is even unusualy around here too. I only get about one per year, isn't that odd. More are tea drinkers for the decaf angle I think.

My group was from southern WV (and Honey, peaches and these girls taalk alak) and one had to have her diet Pepsi (she even brought it with her). I surprised her this morning with a 2-liter bottle of it.
My best friend from NC cannot LIVE without her Diet Dr. Pepper.
I had about 4 requests for decaf in the last 3 weeks. Most want strong coffee.

Did have decaf today, that is even unusualy around here too. I only get about one per year, isn't that odd. More are tea drinkers for the decaf angle I think..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Did have decaf today, that is even unusualy around here too. I only get about one per year, isn't that odd. More are tea drinkers for the decaf angle I think.
This has to be a regional thing. I'm going to keep track someday of who drinks decaf and where they came from. Some mornings that is ALL that anyone drinks. And we'll be set up to pump out the caf and I have to redo the coffee machine with the decaf.
We make both kinds each day and at least one guest will have decaf. Some mix it- half caf.

Did have decaf today, that is even unusualy around here too. I only get about one per year, isn't that odd. More are tea drinkers for the decaf angle I think..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
This has to be a regional thing. I'm going to keep track someday of who drinks decaf and where they came from. Some mornings that is ALL that anyone drinks. And we'll be set up to pump out the caf and I have to redo the coffee machine with the decaf.
We make both kinds each day and at least one guest will have decaf. Some mix it- half caf.
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Not the case this morning, but I can say way more over 65's drink decaff than anyone else.
Afternoon or evening coffee is a diff sit altogether. This is the morning cuppa I am talking about.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Not the case this morning, but I can say way more over 65's drink decaff than anyone else.
Afternoon or evening coffee is a diff sit altogether. This is the morning cuppa I am talking about.
Yeah, just the morning cuppa. We only have the coffee singles out for later on and I replace more cafs than decafs on those.

My group was from southern WV (and Honey, peaches and these girls taalk alak) and one had to have her diet Pepsi (she even brought it with her). I surprised her this morning with a 2-liter bottle of it.
I had about 4 requests for decaf in the last 3 weeks. Most want strong coffee..
Not to change the subject. But how do most guests like their caffinated coffee? Personally, we like ours dark roast and strong. We are anticipating using a Medium roast to cover our bases, but now you have me wondering.

Not to change the subject. But how do most guests like their caffinated coffee? Personally, we like ours dark roast and strong. We are anticipating using a Medium roast to cover our bases, but now you have me wondering.
That's hard to say because we only serve one kind. We go for medium-dark so it's hearty but not overpowering. What I have seen guests do is pour a cup of coffee and then take a coffee single and put it in. In that case, they wanted a much stronger coffee.
Europeans think our coffee is wimpy. (US coffee in general, not mine in particular.)

I've found that most people like good, strong coffee - they really like the fact that we use organic, free trade & fresh ground coffee. Might have something to do with the 4Bucks craze.
I have only had 2 guests in 4 months that wanted decaf coffee. Fortunately, I brewed some for myself on those days...luck of the draw as I stopped making it because most of it was getting tossed.

If you order coffee in EU you get an espresso, if you order an 'Americano', you get espresso watered down with a bit of hot water.

If you order coffee in EU you get an espresso, if you order an 'Americano', you get espresso watered down with a bit of hot water..
That's not exactly accurate. In Italy, if you order café, then you will get strong coffee usually accompanied with a small pitcher of steamed milk. If you use the milk it's similar to our café latte we have here. You have to ask for espresso to get an espresso. When we're there, we never touched the Cafe Americano.

I have to respectfully disagree, I spent 1.5 years living in Tuscany when I was a bit younger and being a barista was the only job I could get because my Italian is so poor. If you order a cafe, you will get an espresso, no one in Italy or most of Europe really knows any other type of coffee and they don't usually have US style coffee pots at all. A 'latte' as we think of it in the US, doesn't exists in Italy either, it just means you want milk in your coffe,which is alwats served warm, akin to a cafe au lait in france. At home, most people use a moka or a mangenette, which is a stove top espresso maker that you boil, and then flip to brew the coffe when it's ready. A moka makes coffee a bit thinner than a pro espresso machine, but it's nowhere near US coffee in taste or consistency. A few places, like hotels in Roma and Firenze will have 'American Style' coffee available at breakfast for tourists, but this is somewhat uncommon as well. A cafe 'Americano' is espresso and boiling water. Just my two cents as a coffe junkie.

Back