Guest Blames Us For Her Being Cheap!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
Well, we lost have an eye on TA today all become of a recent review from someone who... didn't communicate with us, we could have changed the sheets, we could have shown her the common room, etc. But also, because she herself picked a SMALL room (when larger rooms were available) and then complained that there wasn't any ROOM. Seriously, do they ever take responsibility for their own choices in life?

Seriously, do they ever take responsibility for their own choices in life?
Of course not, silly man. Where would the fun of that be? Ever since they stopped keeping score in games and telling kids how wonderful they are just because they are breathing, it is someone else's fault for everything that is bad or goes wrong and ONLY their fault if something is successful. Didn't you know that?

You have the slideshow, too. And lovely room photos!
I'd be more flummoxed by that review stating they only do 5 stars after they've been back and it's still as good as the first time. What kind of lame review is that? Either you like it or you don't. That one is looking for some sort of perk on the return trip.
And, you have 4.5 when I look at it. So, half a circle knocked off, not a whole one.

I'd be more flummoxed by that review stating they only do 5 stars after they've been back and it's still as good as the first time. What kind of lame review is that? Either you like it or you don't. That one is looking for some sort of perk on the return trip.
And, you have 4.5 when I look at it. So, half a circle knocked off, not a whole one..
Thank you
Half an eye, that took me MONTHS to get back last time. And all because she was so damn cheap. (The large room next to it is so large we have two chairs and a couch, but she was too damn cheap to book it.) I hope she's comes back to try to stay with her beer budget in the old part of town. A room even that size will cost her double and breakfast isn't included.
Funny part is, we just had guests leave from just that room, with the same sheets and they left us a beautiful thank you note. Loved the bedding, loved the room, wanted to know how they could get the mattress at home. And seriously... fabric would prevent A/C from flowing into the room? Is this some sort of unbreathable magic fabric?
I don't know if the 4 will be back. Not because of me, but because of what they book.... single night weekends, PB only. I only sell single orphan nights on weekends and I only have one room with PB. The GF repeatedly said that she's a hotel girl and gets all kinds of perks at one of the local hotels. But I don't do bribery, either. (Though, GFs do change). But yeah, it's a bit odd, that review.

And, you have 4.5 when I look at it. So, half a circle knocked off, not a whole one..
Thank you
Half an eye, that took me MONTHS to get back last time. And all because she was so damn cheap. (The large room next to it is so large we have two chairs and a couch, but she was too damn cheap to book it.) I hope she's comes back to try to stay with her beer budget in the old part of town. A room even that size will cost her double and breakfast isn't included.
Funny part is, we just had guests leave from just that room, with the same sheets and they left us a beautiful thank you note. Loved the bedding, loved the room, wanted to know how they could get the mattress at home. And seriously... fabric would prevent A/C from flowing into the room? Is this some sort of unbreathable magic fabric?
I don't know if the 4 will be back. Not because of me, but because of what they book.... single night weekends, PB only. I only sell single orphan nights on weekends and I only have one room with PB. The GF repeatedly said that she's a hotel girl and gets all kinds of perks at one of the local hotels. But I don't do bribery, either. (Though, GFs do change). But yeah, it's a bit odd, that review.
I have never gotten the full circle back after the 1 star review last summer. I never will.

Thank you
I have never gotten the full circle back after the 1 star review last summer. I never will.
Well, I have the "awards" that they sent me. This years, had half an eye missing.... it went right into the trash. I can't put it up next to the others without people asking me why I lost have an eye.

Thank you
Well, I have the "awards" that they sent me. This years, had half an eye missing.... it went right into the trash. I can't put it up next to the others without people asking me why I lost have an eye.
I didn't put mine up either. Why bother?

Oh Geeze, sorry. You work so hard to make every thing really nice and then this! I've had guests say that the room was small even though they booked the smallest (read that as least expensive) room when two larger ones were available. That is exactly the kind of review that deserves a response from you stating the obvious....room rates depend on size of accommodation and extra amenities.
Take heart, many people will click on the low reviews just to see what people are complaining about so if you do a response, it will give them more time reading about how wonderful your place really is. I went so far as to give the actual dimensions of the rooms in my response as well as the extra amenities that are included with our larger suites. I consider a response to one of these reviews as an opportunity for free advertising!

Oh Geeze, sorry. You work so hard to make every thing really nice and then this! I've had guests say that the room was small even though they booked the smallest (read that as least expensive) room when two larger ones were available. That is exactly the kind of review that deserves a response from you stating the obvious....room rates depend on size of accommodation and extra amenities.
Take heart, many people will click on the low reviews just to see what people are complaining about so if you do a response, it will give them more time reading about how wonderful your place really is. I went so far as to give the actual dimensions of the rooms in my response as well as the extra amenities that are included with our larger suites. I consider a response to one of these reviews as an opportunity for free advertising!.
Silverspoon said:
I consider a response to one of these reviews as an opportunity for free advertising!
That's what I've been using the mgmt responses for. If the guest says they didn't get XYZ, I explain what IS on offer. Our last one was obviously someone who bases 5 stars on free food and drinks. (If you read her other reviews, all the 5 stars go to places where there was a lot of free food, wine, afternoon tea.) So I explained what is available and why other things are not.

Take heart, many people will click on the low reviews just to see what people are complaining about so if you do a response, it will give them more time reading about how wonderful your place really is. I went so far as to give the actual dimensions of the rooms in my response as well as the extra amenities that are included with our larger suites. I consider a response to one of these reviews as an opportunity for free advertising!.
Thank you. I was actually wondering if I should reply, I mean it's so wacky a review, I wonder if replying to her would legitimize her. But I do see the point of talking up the other rooms that should have chosen.
We certainly would have changed her bedding if she had asked. (Besides, who the heck goes to read the labels. Guests keep on asking us where they can get a set like that!) And seriously, believing that AC wouldn't work because there is material in front of it? Fabric doesn't breath? And of course, we have a common room and a patio, neither of which she asked about... just ASSumed we didn't have.

Thank you. I was actually wondering if I should reply, I mean it's so wacky a review, I wonder if replying to her would legitimize her. But I do see the point of talking up the other rooms that should have chosen.
We certainly would have changed her bedding if she had asked. (Besides, who the heck goes to read the labels. Guests keep on asking us where they can get a set like that!) And seriously, believing that AC wouldn't work because there is material in front of it? Fabric doesn't breath? And of course, we have a common room and a patio, neither of which she asked about... just ASSumed we didn't have.
Just reiterate that you have everything she needed, albeit perhaps she might have chosen a larger room if she needed more space. If she wasn't a 'city' person you might explain that this is the 'old' part of town with traditional gorgeous high ceilings, mouldings, parquet floors and ambiance ala Europe. Use it for selling the next person on the beautiful rooms.
We have a lot of guests who drape the curtains over all sorts of things to allow the A/C to 'flow'. If they don't, even with lace panels, the windows fog over and it's not as cool as could be.

Just read the review and it is really 'out there'. Then I read your most recent review and it almost handles your reply for you.... Large room, common area...
So you can use this to sell you place, rates graduate with amenities and so forth. Just focus on the NEXT guest, not this one.
We all know what assuming does!!!
poke.gif

Write a reply, file it away and come back to it in a couple of days and re-think if it's worth posting.

A/C would mean the curtains would be lifting up and away from the windows, I think that is what was meant, so if they put them over it they would be open anyway. ?

Back