Guest car accident in parking lot

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooseTrax

Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea what the inn's responsibility might be in this? We have motorcycling guests here tonight who have taken up 4 of the parking spots- they also have 4 of the rooms, that's not the issue. From the window I just saw an SUV pull in next to the last bike and cut it very close, to the point I thought they hit the bike.
Has anyone ever had a guest accident incident? Do you think the inn has any responsibility if the parking is paved, lined and lighted?

That's a good question. If you have a fender bender in the parkinglot of a store, no one ever holds the store responsible....wonder if it would be different with a B&B, but sure hope not.

That's a good question. If you have a fender bender in the parkinglot of a store, no one ever holds the store responsible....wonder if it would be different with a B&B, but sure hope not..
I had not cinsidered the grocery store situation, so maybe that applies as well. It's just easier at a B&B to involve the owners as the guests are all there. This SUV guest could just have moved over a space and not admitted anything, but I saw it. Sort of saw it as I don't think the bike was hit but it was close.

That's a good question. If you have a fender bender in the parkinglot of a store, no one ever holds the store responsible....wonder if it would be different with a B&B, but sure hope not..
I had not cinsidered the grocery store situation, so maybe that applies as well. It's just easier at a B&B to involve the owners as the guests are all there. This SUV guest could just have moved over a space and not admitted anything, but I saw it. Sort of saw it as I don't think the bike was hit but it was close.
A relative of mine just had a similar experience..he was in the store, his truck obviously parked.....a lady cut too close to get in the parking spot next to him and scrtched the whole side of her car with his bumper.
Insurance and Cops said it was 100% her fault....

Talk to your insurance agent and/or lawyer. I MEAN IT. You need to make sure you have your butt covered.
We state in our policies that we are not responsible for our guests personal property including their automobiles. Of course people get sue happy and will try to recover losses from you.

I was backed into at the convenience store parking lot (I realized he was not stopping a nano-second before the crunch) and the front end crunched when a car cut too close at the grocery store parking lot (she came in and had me paged - yeah B & B signs!). Never thought about involving the stores.
Most parking lots have signs posted - Management Not Responsible For Vehicles - or some such wording.

Why would it be your responsibility? Does someone who runs into another car in the mall parking lot blame the mall??? Why should you worry about this? I sure wouldn't.

This matter would be between the 2 parties involved, not you.
I had asked my insurance agent a hypothetical question regarding something along these lines and was told that "that is what they have car insurance for" and that we should never state anything or show any emotion or guilt. But as someone else pointed out - in this sue happy world we live in today, anyone can be sued for anything (or nothing) so protect yourself (and your B&B) as much as you can.

I had asked my insurance agent a hypothetical question regarding something along these lines and was told that "that is what they have car insurance for" and that we should never state anything or show any emotion or guilt. But as someone else pointed out - in this sue happy world we live in today, anyone can be sued for anything (or nothing) so protect yourself (and your B&B) as much as you can..
Copperhead said:
But as someone else pointed out - in this sue happy world we live in today, anyone can be sued for anything (or nothing) so protect yourself (and your B&B) as much as you can.
I don't know why this fallacy keeps getting perpetuated by very smart people.
According to actual court filing records in all districts in America, civil lawsuit rates have not only dropped in the last couple decades, but have never surpassed the "sue happy" days of the late 1870's when they peaked.
Yes, thats the 1870's
Thank you sensationalist TV reporting and powerful anti-tort forces for keeping the fire alive on this cannard.

I had asked my insurance agent a hypothetical question regarding something along these lines and was told that "that is what they have car insurance for" and that we should never state anything or show any emotion or guilt. But as someone else pointed out - in this sue happy world we live in today, anyone can be sued for anything (or nothing) so protect yourself (and your B&B) as much as you can..
Copperhead said:
But as someone else pointed out - in this sue happy world we live in today, anyone can be sued for anything (or nothing) so protect yourself (and your B&B) as much as you can.
According to actual court filing records in all districts in America, civil lawsuit rates have not only dropped in the last couple decades, but have never surpassed the "sue happy" days of the late 1870's when they peaked.
Yes, thats the 1870's
Thank you sensationalist TV reporting and powerful anti-tort forces for keeping the fire alive on this cannard.
Tim the stats may show this, but having worked in the legal profession for 18 years, I saw quite a few. Just because they sue, does not mean that it makes it through the court system. Many go to lawyers who will issue demand letters and threating a suit to see if they can bully someone out of $$$ without going through the legal system. Regardless of how far it goes, it costs $ to defend yourself if this happens. I have seen it, I have experienced it personally and I really think reform is needed.
So I will reiterate my statement: Anyone can be sued for anything or nothing, so protect yourself and your B&B as much as you can.

Copperhead said:
Yes, thats the 1870's
Maybe it's the sensational amounts of money that get handed out over the stupidest things that make it seem like there are so many more lawsuits out there now.

Copperhead said:
Yes, thats the 1870's
Tim the stats may show this, but having worked in the legal profession for 18 years, I saw quite a few. Just because they sue, does not mean that it makes it through the court system. Many go to lawyers who will issue demand letters and threating a suit to see if they can bully someone out of $$$ without going through the legal system. Regardless of how far it goes, it costs $ to defend yourself if this happens. I have seen it, I have experienced it personally and I really think reform is needed.
So I will reiterate my statement: Anyone can be sued for anything or nothing, so protect yourself and your B&B as much as you can.
Good point. And the ratio of lawyers to population of the US is not the same as it was in 1870
1880-1910: 1 lawyer for every 786 US citizens (according to the US census)
Current: 1 active lawyer for every 300 US citizens (according to the American Bar Association)

Copperhead said:
Yes, thats the 1870's
Also I bet it does not count the number of suits settled by the insurance companies as "nusance suits" not worth defending. Our City has has several of these and it galls every Councilman to have the insurance company say we settle because $3oo or $500 (or even $1000) is cheaper than going to court. Many litigants (and lawyers) count on this.

Copperhead said:
Yes, thats the 1870's
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Copperhead said:
Yes, thats the 1870's
I'm going to sue you for saying that!!!!
smileystooges.gif

I think it gets perpetuated by stories like the woman who split hot coffee on herself then sued McDonalds and won.

Copperhead said:
Yes, thats the 1870's
Also I bet it does not count the number of suits settled by the insurance companies as "nusance suits" not worth defending. Our City has has several of these and it galls every Councilman to have the insurance company say we settle because $3oo or $500 (or even $1000) is cheaper than going to court. Many litigants (and lawyers) count on this.
GH this is a good example of what I was referring to in my statement. It costs lots of $ to defend a lawsuit, so many do not make it to the court system at all. This is driving up insurance costs across the board.
Swirt glad to see these #'s...
Stats are subjective and be swayed to represent any number of opinions.

Copperhead said:
Yes, thats the 1870's
GH this is a good example of what I was referring to in my statement. It costs lots of $ to defend a lawsuit, so many do not make it to the court system at all. This is driving up insurance costs across the board.
Liars figure and figures lie....

Copperhead said:
Yes, thats the 1870's
gillumhouse said:
Good one! I will remember that.

Copperhead said:
Yes, thats the 1870's
gillumhouse said:
You got it sister!

Back