Guest Confidentiality

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Had a strange experience last evening when someone booked a room and mentioned "reason for the visit" as visiting a relative here locally. I asked within the context of conversation "Oh do I know them? What is their name?" and the name was a name I did know, and the person mentioned helping them move as they were divorcing (a prominent person in our community.)
And now of course, I can't say anything to anyone. So I am telling you.
Have you ever had a guest confidentiality issue? How did you handle it?

With open ears and a closed mouth.
tounge_smile.gif

How do I handle it? It's none of my business. Their money is as green as anyone else's and although it's nice to know reason for visiting in the area it's not a requirement, some people are more private than others and we have no right to demand more
But thats just IMHO

Don't do anything. In your town I am sure the word will get out soon enough. I wouldn't open my mouth about it to anyone.

Don't do anything. In your town I am sure the word will get out soon enough. I wouldn't open my mouth about it to anyone..
catlady said:
Don't do anything. In your town I am sure the word will get out soon enough. I wouldn't open my mouth about it to anyone.
Are you kidding? You are aren't you? JB is probably the ONLY person in town who did NOT know it.

When I worked at a big hotel this one chap checked was booked for a week left all his stuff and then disappeared. After 2 days never used the room we started to get a bit concerned (ie hit by a truck) rang the agency that booked him and they rang his contact number which was his home number. Turns out he was having an affair with someone here and we grassed him up to his wife. Thankfully it wasn't me that made the call but I always remember that and keep stum.

Two very different cases....
A mother who left her son to nap and we discovered he was hiding/consuming alcohol. He was off age, but they were here to pick him up from alcohol rehab. And I (very reluctantly) had to tell her and break her heart. But he wasn't our guest and she needed to know.
The national statistics bureau called me a few days ago and they mentioned that they wanted information and to see my guest list. I told her that people have an expectation of privacy and that I don't believe that I need to comply with that, under the national privacy act. She hemmed and hawed about it. When I got off the telephone with her my next call was to the privacy commissioner's office and then to their office to lodge a complaint. I got a call the next morning from the stats bureau chief telling me that I don't have to disclose. Good decision, because I was going to make her get a court order... I want it explained to a judge before I had over someone else's private information.

we have a slightly weird arrangement with a hotel up the street as our name is camberley and their name is kimberley so we often have guests trying to check into the wrong place so I simply call and say is Mrs Jones your guest so I know to send them or they do the same for my also taxi companies drop people to the wrong place and try to pick up from the wrong place. So we cooperate for the guests convenience. Otherwise I would not let anyone know who was staying hear what if they were a stalker or weirdo or something?

Back