Guest Damage

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Just had a guest pull me aside and tell me he knocked a lamp over in his room, as he had a nightmare and fell out of bed.
He was apologetic. SHE stood there and said "It is really no big deal, just a chip, you can probably just glue it." I could tell he felt terrible. I said thank you for telling me, let's go have a look.
This is what I found. Glass is shattered on the floor, it is not "glueable"
Lamp%20Damage092011.jpg

Lamp%20Damage_b092011.jpg

Lamp%20Damage_c092011.jpg

She said "You can just put it on your insurance." I said, "Guests are responsible for things they damage." (which is also printed on the statement they just got at check out). She said "Don't you have insurance?" I said again "Guests are responsible for damages, just like anywhere you go, if you broke it you need to replace or repair it."
Here are a couple photos, I have no idea how much it will cost to replace this lamp. I also have no idea how much it will cost to repair this stained glass. So basically, if I have it repaired I have a room without a lamp til it is done. Not to mention stuffing around, as always!
Your advice on this, how much do you think this lamp is worth for a replacement value? I guarantee it is less than our deductable even if we did claim it, which I would not.
(I just found more damage on the lamp, see the third image) and another crack on the other side. This is not a LOWE's lamp, it is art deco from the early 1900's.

Yes, they never think about the deductible when they say, "I'm sure you're insured." Also, if you have enough claims I guess your premiums might go up.
If you have a stained glass shop nearby, you could probably have it repaired cheaper than replacing it, though it would probably still be over $100.
Gluing it would not be a solution. It would still be a broken lamp and the gluing would be obvious.
You'll have to do some research to come up with a replacement cost.
I agree that they should pay to repair or replace. Hundreds of people have stayed in that room without breaking. When they're the rare exception, it's their fault and they should pay.

I have put a note with these photos out on our town's facebook page, there are a few stained glass artisans in the area. Now I get to run around and get quotes. ugh.
On the other hand, I found THIS today which made me smile, and asked the owner of the photo (in our town) if I could useit and he said sure thing, this was from this weekend.

I have put a note with these photos out on our town's facebook page, there are a few stained glass artisans in the area. Now I get to run around and get quotes. ugh.
On the other hand, I found THIS today which made me smile, and asked the owner of the photo (in our town) if I could useit and he said sure thing, this was from this weekend..
I've always wanted a cannon! Tried to build one in high school but was afraid to fire it.
Our town has a little civil war history and we're working hard to exploit that during this sesquicentennial period of the civil war. In fact, my "St. Charles" building was headquarters when a confederate general when they occupied our town, then was headquarters for the union general who later occupied the town (and burned the town, but not his headquarters, luckily).
Ah, those were the days!

You signed that you were responsible - its that simple. Had this same problem with a very similar lamp (how weird is that) guests tried to hide it (its one of a pair of bedsides so Im not going to notice?) was very lucky that one with an identicle shade the lamp part broke but kept the shade. was absolutely furious mind!

I bought an antique floor lamp in Arkansas with a shade that was perfect colors for the room I wanted it for. I had them ship the lamp home BUT thought hand-carrying the shade would be safer. Problem was the puddle-jumper said I could carry on my purse or the bag (containing the shade) and I made the wrong decision - I kept my purse. As I picked up my bag I heard the chink-chink I dreaded. The airline paid for the lamp - big whoop, it needs a shade to be used. I started looking at antique & junk shops. I was able to find a shade that fit the colors of the room, although was not as pretty as the original, for $10. If it is a pair of lamps, your only options are: get repairs made or use it as a single. Good luck. Minimum of $100 charge.
Edited to add: I just sent your photos (copy/paste) to a woman in town who used to have a stained glass business asking for a cost to fix estimate.

What a beautiful lamp, I really hope it can be repaired. The guest definitely has to be responsible!

My source gave a phone number. Maybe she has e-mail to send the photos to. I knew my source could not do it but was asking for estimate. She says the person she recommended is fair price-wise.

Thanks K, I won't be shipping it out, I would only have someone local do it to come and collect or me to drop off. I have a stained glass artisan in mind, I think I can have it repaired, just put some ugly lamp shade on it til I get it back. Should look lovely in the room, ugh

Joey Bloggs said:
She said "You can just put it on your insurance." I said, "Guests are responsible for things they damage." (which is also printed on the statement they just got at check out). She said "Don't you have insurance?" I said again "Guests are responsible for damages, just like anywhere you go, if you broke it you need to replace or repair it."
What a twit. If it were MY insurance provider, they'd tell me that they weren't going to pay it because the guests take responsibility when they agree to the policies.

and see there is a chunk out of the wall and big scrape and a chunk out of the wood nightstand. I am not here the next couple days, there is no way to repair this and we have guests booked in there! This is such a PITA.

What a beautiful lamp. Hope your local artist comes through. And the idjit that did it pays up.

I truly feel your frustration and can comiserate, as we just ran into a similar problem. We had a very young couple stay in one of our Guest Rooms. Upon checkout, we noticed that they had completely trashed the room. The majority of the mess was easily cleaned (sticky mess of who-knows-what on the antique, and might I add not cheap, coffee table), but they had used one of the decorative throw pillows as a cushion for an outside chair, and left it out in the rain all night and morning. Not only that, but one of the buttons on the pillow had been torn off. Within the mess on the table was what we could easily tell was ashes. We typically have a $100 fine for any evidence of smoking in the room, so we called them to alert them of the charges for the things we found to be amiss. They said things like "If we'd known we had to clean up after ourselves, we would have stayed home" and "How much was the button? 50 cents? I'll give you 50 cents" clearly not understanding our point of view. I had foolishly hoped they would be reasonable about it, being that I was doing them a courtesy of alerting them to the charges when many hotels would have just charged it without notice. Unfortunately, they had reserved the room under a friend's card, not their own, so we ended up just letting the whole thing go (but rest assured, they have made our BlackList).
Point being that this is exactly the reason why we try to cater to older crowds, as discriminatory as that may sound. They tend to take better care of our things, and have traveled enough to know etiquette and their responsibilities as a Guest. It's as if some people have never heard the phrase "you break it, you buy it." I say, especially when it's in black and white in your policies, and they admitted to being responsible for the damage, go ahead charge them what is fair. Let them dispute it if they disagree, but the credit card company will take your side if you have the documentation to back it up.
PS - Although much of the time it isn't possible with unique one-of-a-kind antiques, we try to buy things in sets of two, just in case something like this does happen. Keep your eyes out for sales and double bargains!!!
wink_smile.gif

I am sorry about your lamp, however you have to consider whether it was really an accident or intentional - I know I would feel horrible if I broke something of someone's but when we open our houses up we sadly take that risk, and ANYTHING that you worry about getting stolen or broken should be kept out of sight.
I know my insurance deductible is $2500 so of course it's not worth claiming unless it's major but maybe you can come to some reasonable settlement with this person or just (sadly) take it as a loss.

Yes, they never think about the deductible when they say, "I'm sure you're insured." Also, if you have enough claims I guess your premiums might go up.
If you have a stained glass shop nearby, you could probably have it repaired cheaper than replacing it, though it would probably still be over $100.
Gluing it would not be a solution. It would still be a broken lamp and the gluing would be obvious.
You'll have to do some research to come up with a replacement cost.
I agree that they should pay to repair or replace. Hundreds of people have stayed in that room without breaking. When they're the rare exception, it's their fault and they should pay..
Here in Virginia, if you have enough claims (which sometimes has been two in two years) you can get DUMPED by your insurance company. I have seen it happen.
RIki

I am sorry about your lamp, however you have to consider whether it was really an accident or intentional - I know I would feel horrible if I broke something of someone's but when we open our houses up we sadly take that risk, and ANYTHING that you worry about getting stolen or broken should be kept out of sight.
I know my insurance deductible is $2500 so of course it's not worth claiming unless it's major but maybe you can come to some reasonable settlement with this person or just (sadly) take it as a loss..
This is not just the cost of doing business. It's not something like a towel or glass that was broken. It doesn't matter if it was an accident or not, it's significant and he needs to take responsibility. Frankly, the story that was given sounds bogus to me, but that's neither here nor there.

Welcome to the forum Morrison, I guess you are new?
Hate to tell ya though, this couple were older/old enough, I would say, probably mid 60's. Saying that makes steam come out innkeepers eyes on this forum (hey I am just replying to what you wrotem not calling anyone old!)
The thing that bothers me is they never said "We are sorry we are happy to pay for the damage we caused" she just said to me "accidents happens...don't you have insurance" and that really ticked me off!
I am not looking out for sales, this was purchased at an estate auction, it is not a pair. I dont want to fill our rooms with garage sale items.
Sorry, the wound is still raw, I just made up the room and have some stupid looking lampshade on that lamp, I was able to use "magic eraser; to take the paint off the wall to hide the scuff and chunk out of it. There is also a chunk out of the wood on the little nightstand.
This is the same room wherein a babay boomer couple used the waste basket as an ice bucket and destroyed the original wood floor. Same room where a couple (these were a bit younger) used the desk as an ironing board, even though yes there is, an ironing board in the closet with the iron.
This room has had it the worst. or I might just be saying that cuz this happened today. LOL

Oh my..sorry this happened. And ..no...this is not just the cost of doing business in my mind. They admitted to breaking it and since it is not a JUNK piece..they should pay. Sure you have insurance with a big deductible ...so what good would it do? People are sooooo dumb. Get a quote, get their credit Card # and let them pay to fix it. That is the least they can do. I certainly would if it were me. HOpe it all works out.

I know my insurance deductible is $2500 so of course it's not worth claiming unless it's major but maybe you can come to some reasonable settlement with this person or just (sadly) take it as a loss..
agoodman said:
I know my insurance deductible is $2500 so of course it's not worth claiming unless it's major but maybe you can come to some reasonable settlement with this person or just (sadly) take it as a loss.
i had a really high (to me) deductible, too. i think it was also $2500. i would bill them .. and address the correspondence to the 'him' that was apologetic when you have the repair bill in hand, with pictures. and hope for the best. accidental breakage rather than malicious or deliberate i'd likely forgive but in my heart i would hope the guest would pay for the damage. such a pretty lamp.
i know it hurts you and your sense of style to have something else in its place, but your rooms are so nice i don't think it is as noticeable to guests as it is to you.

Back