Guest drop shipping in my name

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sappho

Reaction score
I have some folks staying for six days from Columbia, next month. She asked if she could order some things from the internet in my name and ship them to my address so she could have them when they arrive. How would you all feel about that? I think I'm okay with it but.......??

Shipping to me might not bother me, shipping or ordering in my name, nope, wouldn’t be comfortable with that

She should ship in her own name to your (specifically named) B&B. Not just your address.
Then be prepared for the reservation to be cancelled and they'll ask you to forward the shipments to someone else. Do not do that.

Shipping to me might not bother me, shipping or ordering in my name, nope, wouldn’t be comfortable with that.
JimBoone said:
Shipping to me might not bother me, shipping or ordering in my name, nope, wouldn’t be comfortable with that
I agree. No one uses my name, not even my kids.

I agree with the rest. Don't order in my name. Why in your name? Is it's illegal?

We have Canadian guests who often order things to be delivered here when they stay. But never in my name.

In your name? Sorry, in c/o Your B&B and not in your name... unless you want to accept that drug shipment or stolen goods in your name. If they cancel, or ask you to send it on, the answer is... I can't do that, but I can return it.
NEVER in your name.

If you are comfortable with it, ask the guest why in your name. and that you are not comfortable with it. In the U.S. we are used to easy, fairly secure and relatively inexpensive shipping. Maybe not so in Colombia. I know international teachers who have been based there. For them, shipping if any from out of country, was done by one of the air freight companies, extremely expensive. There is also an issue of Columbia's variety of VAT or import duty. If you are comfortable about asking, your guest may not have nefarious motives.

In your name? Sorry, in c/o Your B&B and not in your name... unless you want to accept that drug shipment or stolen goods in your name. If they cancel, or ask you to send it on, the answer is... I can't do that, but I can return it.
NEVER in your name..
Agree: in their name = OK. We get that sometimes when a family group for an anniversary or birthday orders gifts to be sent here and occasionally someone ordering a delivery here for personal use during the trip or to avoid a sales tax in own state -- that could be your guests.

We had a guest who never asked, never replied to emails about arrival, no contact whatsoever after the initial online reservation was made. 23 packages showed up. Guest arrived at 2 AM with a huge, empty suitcase. It was less expensive to ship everything here and pay $100 for the suitcase to go back than it was to pay for the shipping to the home country.
I'm still getting catalogs... But, everything was mailed in the guest's name.

TO: GUEST
c/o YOUR INN
YOUR STREET
YOUR STATE
But aren't a lot of drugs shipped from Columbia? Might be fine, might not be. Never to you in your name. And what if guest cancels and packages arrive and someone else calls for the packages? ugh
I'd probably decline to have things shipped to me and watch the reservation disappear.

Back