Guest Food Allergies

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a call where the guest actually said she noticed I ask about food allergies. So, she started rattling off the list...no sugar, no honey, no white bread, she's a vegetarian.
So I said, 'Looks like you can have scrambled eggs for breakfast.'
No, she won't eat just a scrambled egg, she wants an omelet. So I explain that I will be feeding up to 19 guests and I can't get fancy. We don't have a freezer, we don't stock foods, we buy for one day and we rarely have veggies on hand. I can throw some cheese in there.
So she asked if I had sausage or bacon, she would eat that. So much for being a vegetarian. But she kept pushing for an omelet. Hey, everyone will want one and this ain't no restaurant.

sounds pretty good right now, can I have an omelet too?.
I always make extra, just in case I get a really big eater. My husband always complains I give the people too much food. Very rarely do I get anything back on the plates, and the extras I make always go to hubby, he doesn't complain about that too much!

Had a call where the guest actually said she noticed I ask about food allergies. So, she started rattling off the list...no sugar, no honey, no white bread, she's a vegetarian.
No, she won't eat just a scrambled egg, she wants an omelet. So I explain that I will be feeding up to 19 guests and I can't get fancy. We don't have a freezer, we don't stock foods, we buy for one day and we rarely have veggies on hand. I can throw some cheese in there.
So she asked if I had sausage or bacon, she would eat that. So much for being a vegetarian. But she kept pushing for an omelet. Hey, everyone will want one and this ain't no restaurant..
Maybe since the pig was vegetarian, that makes her a vegetarian too, you are what you eat and what it ate.
wink_smile.gif

So she asked if I had sausage or bacon, she would eat that. So much for being a vegetarian. But she kept pushing for an omelet. Hey, everyone will want one and this ain't no restaurant..
Maybe since the pig was vegetarian, that makes her a vegetarian too, you are what you eat and what it ate.
wink_smile.gif

LOL sounds like the line in "Walden" where Thoreau comments on the absurdity of someone saying you have to eat beef to in order to have strong bones because there is nothing in plants to make bones.
confused_smile.gif

Unless you're a commercial kitchen (i.e. lots of cooking surfaces) with a staff of sous chefs, making omelets for a crowd is out of the question. I have some really good omelet recipes that are more than just your average ham and cheese omelet, but I only pull those out when we just have 2 guests, and I don't put them on our "Sample entrees" listing because I don't want a yacht full of guests expecting omelets.

I was 'working' today at a tea room. She serves tea. (And the usual tea fixin's like scones and finger sandwiches and dessert.) But, other than water, there are no other beverages served. It's a tea room. No pretense at anything else. You have to make reservations in advance and she does work with food allergies and with folks who cannot have caffeine, but you have to tell her about the food allergies in advance.
So, today, in walks a family group with a reservation and one member is a child. Mother says, 'She doesn't drink tea, she'll just have a soda, whatever you have on hand.'
I love my friend dearly and it's fun to watch her in action as she goes on to explain the different teas she has on offer. She never batted an eye at the soda request and she also didn't deign to respond to it with anything other than her explanation of what teas she has. The kid drank all the milk in all the pitchers set out for the tea.

Bree does she serve coffee as well?
In Australia afternoon tea, mainly Devonshire Tea is a choice of coffee or tea. Has been for years now.
Soda? What the!

Bree does she serve coffee as well?
In Australia afternoon tea, mainly Devonshire Tea is a choice of coffee or tea. Has been for years now.
Soda? What the!.
TEA room. That's it. 74 varieties. Nothing else, not even hot cocoa for me.
sad_smile.gif

lesson well learnt ... full house (for us that is 8 people or 9 if we are nice and put a small single bed in one of our rooms) ... offered eggs ... any way you would like doh doh doh.
One 4 minute egg, the lady next heard that and said oh that would be too soft for me, I'd like mine 5 or 6 minutes. I knew I was in trouble from that second on. I'll have mine 2 over easy, I like mine sunny side up... I almost died. I like mine broken ... broken?? what is broken??
Off to the kitchen, broken done and sent out, over easy well they broke, why didn't I do the broken ones last, sunny side up, broke as they went on the griddle... I could have cried. This is our first week. Oh the 4 and 5 minute eggs, well they were 6 minutes and went out. Thankfully these were guests that we "knew" and all the eggs went out right in the end but the boiled 4 and 5 minute eggs.
Last time, now I say, I am making quiche or omelettes or waffles or ... as we give coffee/juice/fruit/yogurt/cereal/egg dish with toast and salsa or roasted potatoes/and a sweet bread (muffins or scones or?) or strawberry crepes or?? what ever I feel like. There is enough to choose from so if you don't like the egg dish, you can have the other things. We do a sit down breakfast and not a buffet. So far, no one has turned any thing down.
Cathy

lesson well learnt ... full house (for us that is 8 people or 9 if we are nice and put a small single bed in one of our rooms) ... offered eggs ... any way you would like doh doh doh.
One 4 minute egg, the lady next heard that and said oh that would be too soft for me, I'd like mine 5 or 6 minutes. I knew I was in trouble from that second on. I'll have mine 2 over easy, I like mine sunny side up... I almost died. I like mine broken ... broken?? what is broken??
Off to the kitchen, broken done and sent out, over easy well they broke, why didn't I do the broken ones last, sunny side up, broke as they went on the griddle... I could have cried. This is our first week. Oh the 4 and 5 minute eggs, well they were 6 minutes and went out. Thankfully these were guests that we "knew" and all the eggs went out right in the end but the boiled 4 and 5 minute eggs.
Last time, now I say, I am making quiche or omelettes or waffles or ... as we give coffee/juice/fruit/yogurt/cereal/egg dish with toast and salsa or roasted potatoes/and a sweet bread (muffins or scones or?) or strawberry crepes or?? what ever I feel like. There is enough to choose from so if you don't like the egg dish, you can have the other things. We do a sit down breakfast and not a buffet. So far, no one has turned any thing down.
Cathy.
OH! That's not anyplace I want to go...'How do you want your eggs?' Oh no.
I say, 'How do you want your scrambled eggs? Hard or soft, with cheese or no?' That's the only kind of 'cooked to order' egg that hubs does.

My scrabled eggs are now a Southwest type or ... plain. lol Oh i have learnt. As soon as those guests left, I gave myself a good stern talking to ... and will NEVER offer that again.
Oh my but what a learning experience. I have a wonderful stove, but it was not producing these egg orders all at the same time by itself. It is all singing and all dancing but came up short on this day. Or was it just me in panic mode.
I am laughing about it now, but being at the bottom of the learning curve can make for some hard learning experiences. It is good to read that others have a menu of the day set. I was feeling a bit bad only offering the egg dish of the day.
It is great to have all of you that know better.
Cathy

Bree Wrote: OH! That's not anyplace I want to go...'How do you want your eggs?' Oh no.
I say, 'How do you want your scrambled eggs? Hard or soft, with cheese or no?' That's the only kind of 'cooked to order' egg that hubs does.
Then of course there is me:
"Here's your eggs."

Bree Wrote: OH! That's not anyplace I want to go...'How do you want your eggs?' Oh no.
"Here's your eggs.".
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
"Here's your eggs."
We only do the scrambled eggs because the guest has stated they cannot eat anything else. So not everyone in the dining room is getting eggs, usually just one person. You know, like the one who kept pushing for the omelet. SHE did NOT want scrambled eggs at all. So, now I've got down to make a quiche for that day. She can pick it out of the crust (she said she would) because hubs WILL NOT make crustless quiche.

Cathy.
Hi Cathy!
Here's the formula:
bread (Pancake, etc) + potato + egg+ fruit + meat = There's sure to be SOMETHING on the plate they can eat!
Even rhymes!
I don't tell guests what we're having unless they request something they saw on the website...
Haven't had a returned plate yet. In fact, all plates were empty this morning, surprised they weren't licked clean!
Oh, forgot the other two menu items:
Take it or leave it!
tounge_smile.gif

WW

Cathy.
Hi Cathy!
Here's the formula:
bread (Pancake, etc) + potato + egg+ fruit + meat = There's sure to be SOMETHING on the plate they can eat!
Even rhymes!
I don't tell guests what we're having unless they request something they saw on the website...
Haven't had a returned plate yet. In fact, all plates were empty this morning, surprised they weren't licked clean!
Take it or leave it!
tounge_smile.gif

WW
winewitch said:
Hi Cathy!
Here's the formula:
Even rhymes!
Take it or leave it!
tounge_smile.gif

WW
There are days that the 'other 2 menu items' would be great to offer! We do announce what's for breakfast when the guests check-in, doesn't stop them from turning it down in the morning as it's being put in front of them. I hate waste so I ask what 'sides' they want on the plate with the main course.
Like today's 'sides' were toast and sausage, main course was quiche. One guy said, 'Skip the quiche, I'll have toast and sausage.' Then I get the carbophobes who won't eat the toast, but load 'em Nellie on the sausage. The vegetarians had veggie sausage.

Cathy.
Hi Cathy!
Here's the formula:
Even rhymes!
Take it or leave it!
tounge_smile.gif

WW
We are glad you're here!!!!
JBJ will love your two other menu items.
Love your User Name, too.
=)
Kk.

As nice as it is to offer a menu and all that, cook's choice is cook's choice. It ain't no short order diner! Take it or leave it (unless there is a dietary restriction of course) is what is for breakfast!
Did you ever go to grandma's and tell her what you would have and what she could just leave off the plate? People have no manners these days, whatsoever.
The amazing thing about it is that guests love the take it or leave breakfast. They take it!

Cathy.
Hi Cathy!
Here's the formula:
Even rhymes!
Take it or leave it!
tounge_smile.gif

WW
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
I DO!
HEY ANOTHER ALTER-EGO with no effort at all! I am really liking all these innkeepers who just joined the forum of late. They have spunk. There is this little diddy as well "If you want breakfast in bed, sleep in the kitchen!"

Cathy.
Hubs says if you want a four minute egg, they'll be out in 4 minutes OR here, you have 4 minutes to eat these eggs, which sometimes is the case, if it's a puffy egg dish!

Back