Guest Food Allergies

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My scrabled eggs are now a Southwest type or ... plain. lol Oh i have learnt. As soon as those guests left, I gave myself a good stern talking to ... and will NEVER offer that again.
Oh my but what a learning experience. I have a wonderful stove, but it was not producing these egg orders all at the same time by itself. It is all singing and all dancing but came up short on this day. Or was it just me in panic mode.
I am laughing about it now, but being at the bottom of the learning curve can make for some hard learning experiences. It is good to read that others have a menu of the day set. I was feeling a bit bad only offering the egg dish of the day.
It is great to have all of you that know better.
Cathy.
My breakfasts are "cook's choice" meaning what ingredients do I have on hand, how early is breakfast, and/or what do I feel like making. Another decidubg factor is what do I have on the agenda for tomorrow. If I have a meeting, temp job, etc, breakfast will be something I can do the scut work the night before.
One of my dinners the night before? there will be peach or blueberry bread pudding in the morning with the left over bread. (it is also a scut work the night before item)

Anyone here ever hear of a GRAPE allergy? It's a first for me!
I have a VERY full house 14 this weekend. (Family vacations are in full swing). One has a nut allergy, another a grape allergy, another a milk allergy.
Oh - Cathy, I would refrain from the term sweet breads that you used to refer to muffins and scones. The English use the term sweetbread (as 1 word) for "the thymus gland (in the throat) and the pancreas (near the stomach) in calves, lambs and pigs." Now I am not sure how it is cooked, just remembered someone told me this long ago when I used the term for our muffins. I haven't used that term since! LOL

I thnk of sweetbread as being pancreas and innards as well.
I know the mexican sweetbread I have had it is called "PAN" so if she uses that with a definition I think that would work good. A bakery in Mexico is a Panaderia. People coming to Mexico SHOULD know some Spanish or take it upon themselves to learn a bit anyway.

ok ... all I have to say as an almost vegetarian is eeewww. I will now only refer to bread that is sweet as Pan Dulce but for the English speaking guests I will now just say it will be my choice of muffins or scones or what ever I decide to make in the morning
confused_smile.gif
. Sweet bread /sweetbread now has a totally different meaning for me. lol
People coming to Mexico and a lot of ex-pats living here do not even try speaking Spanish. Funny how you can move to another country and not even try.
Question regarding the formula for breakfast ... pancake = bread but do you serve a side dish as well with pancakes/waffles? I usually just use a strawberry for a garnish.
My egg dishes are served with a side of toast and either a salsa (mango / pico de gallo) OR potatoes. What other sides do you have? (oh if I am feeling rich or it is a special occassion, I will serve asparagus tips)
Cathy

ok ... all I have to say as an almost vegetarian is eeewww. I will now only refer to bread that is sweet as Pan Dulce but for the English speaking guests I will now just say it will be my choice of muffins or scones or what ever I decide to make in the morning
confused_smile.gif
People coming to Mexico and a lot of ex-pats living here do not even try speaking Spanish. Funny how you can move to another country and not even try.
Question regarding the formula for breakfast ... pancake = bread but do you serve a side dish as well with pancakes/waffles? I usually just use a strawberry for a garnish.
My egg dishes are served with a side of toast and either a salsa (mango / pico de gallo) OR potatoes. What other sides do you have? (oh if I am feeling rich or it is a special occassion, I will serve asparagus tips)
Cathy.
If it's a stack of pancakes, waffles or other large serving of "bread", I leave out the potatoes, but other than that I serve all the sides. I base the sides and any fruits & veggies on what's in season around here.
Funny that you see the "Gringos" making no effort to learn the language there, yet here at home, when someone can't speak English, most of the time the non-English speakers are told to get out of the country! Interesting...

confused_smile.gif
Cathy.
If it's a stack of pancakes, waffles or other large serving of "bread", I leave out the potatoes, but other than that I serve all the sides. I base the sides and any fruits & veggies on what's in season around here.
Funny that you see the "Gringos" making no effort to learn the language there, yet here at home, when someone can't speak English, most of the time the non-English speakers are told to get out of the country! Interesting...
I think we are ok then, as we offer a fruit plate and yogurt for the first round of breakfast. Funny how some people say they don't eat a large breakfast and then finish off the fruit plate, yogurt, a bowl of cereal if offered, the egg dish plate, plus the muffin/scone or what ever else we put out for the dessert. They just pack it all away. Jokingly complain about the weight they are gaining eating all that food. We don't force it down them. The only plate that is dished out for them is the egg dish with what ever else I choose to put on that plate. But they are forced to eat that either. People are just funny.
We have met people from the ex-pat club that have been here for over 5 years and do not and seem to have no intention of learning the language except for a few basic phrases and numbers (like to know those when bargaining for lower prices). We just find it interesting. We do find it more the Americans than any other country that don't care or want to learn.
I was in language school with in a month of my arrival. My Spanish still isn't excellent, but I can have a conversation and understand most things. It is time for me to return to school for more language, but right now am having trouble fitting that into my schedule as most classes start at 8.
Cathy

Back