Guest Food Allergies

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Well this was a new one, I found very humorous.
A couple just arrived. They booked on the Stash Tea BOGO offer. Atop their car they have a bicycle built for two. I let them know the temp tomorrow is to be 96 degrees, so if they would like an early breakfast I can do that (the other room is breakfast delivery to the cottage).
He said to me, Oh you didn't ask if we have any food allergies?
I said, oh, didn't you get the confirmation? He said, yes I did, but were you going to ask?
I said, sure, do you have any food allergies?
He replies, No.
I sa,y Are you vegetarian? Do you eat pork for breakfast?
He replies, Yes.
Okay well we are all set here. Enjoy your stay! ha ha

Well, that is odd. When I ask, I usually get, 'No one has ever asked us that before!'

Someone called today checking on availability for their neice, and mentioned that she was a vegetarian, could we work with that. After saying of course I could, I asked what kind of vegetarian... it makes a big difference. Later the neice called and booked the room... no meat, no fish. Gosh, guess I can do that!
=) Kk.

I have one I am waiting to call me back that I think is a no gluten. She called just before I went to Kentucky and while my modem was cashed and booked online per request but has not answered the phone since. She still has a week before she is due in.......

Huh?? Didn't he understand that was two questions?
They don't read. So far, I've remembered to ask in person about 90% of the time. Oops! Like new guests in tonight. I forgot to ask. BUT they were seeking Southern BBQ for dinner, soooooooooo......

This is from the inn the news website: A two-day advance notice of dietary needs and restrictions is necessary to accommodate requests.
Is it just me or does this rule NEVER apply to those who actually have dietary restrictions? ha ha

This is from the inn the news website: A two-day advance notice of dietary needs and restrictions is necessary to accommodate requests.
Is it just me or does this rule NEVER apply to those who actually have dietary restrictions? ha ha.
Hey, you know who's gonna abide by that...the ones that Tipsy gets who hand her (literally) a laundry list of what they want her to buy in anticipation of their arrival! Or, another innkeeper I know who got a page long email of wants and needs for her breakfast.

Perhaps this is a carry over from the charteryacht side of our business, but we send out a Preference Sheet with the booking confirmation asking questions like what kind of food likes and dislikes they have, including a big emphasis on food allergies. When we get the sheet back, I am able to plan a menu generated specifically around what my guests like and don't like. This also helps me curtail the grocery list so I don't have to have every kind of juice, milk, soda, fruit, and bread on hand - I know in advance what they really want. Our Eggs Benedict and Hashbrown Casserole are the most requested breakfast items. I have one guest who says that's the first breakfast he wants during his stay, and the last one before he leaves at the end of his stay.
The Preference Sheet also helps me identify dietary restrictions for guests who have had health issues such as heart disease, diabetes, etc. In order to be assured of getting their responses back, I tell them that if they don't return the Preference Sheet, they'll be eating Beanie-Weenies because I won't know what they want! I realize this kind of personal attention may not be feasible in a larger operation filled to capacity, but we are restricted to a maximum of six overnight guests. Our guests really like that personal attention they get and some are actually surprised by it.

Perhaps this is a carry over from the charteryacht side of our business, but we send out a Preference Sheet with the booking confirmation asking questions like what kind of food likes and dislikes they have, including a big emphasis on food allergies. When we get the sheet back, I am able to plan a menu generated specifically around what my guests like and don't like. This also helps me curtail the grocery list so I don't have to have every kind of juice, milk, soda, fruit, and bread on hand - I know in advance what they really want. Our Eggs Benedict and Hashbrown Casserole are the most requested breakfast items. I have one guest who says that's the first breakfast he wants during his stay, and the last one before he leaves at the end of his stay.
The Preference Sheet also helps me identify dietary restrictions for guests who have had health issues such as heart disease, diabetes, etc. In order to be assured of getting their responses back, I tell them that if they don't return the Preference Sheet, they'll be eating Beanie-Weenies because I won't know what they want! I realize this kind of personal attention may not be feasible in a larger operation filled to capacity, but we are restricted to a maximum of six overnight guests. Our guests really like that personal attention they get and some are actually surprised by it..
That is a good plan. I may just mention the beanie weenies on the online booking section. That's where the issues arise...guest who book themselves (so we didn't ask them specifically) and omit entering anything and then don't respond to emails.
I could say, 'If we do not know of your food allergies in advance, feel free to eat cereal if the breakfast we've prepared is not something you can eat.'

The Preference Sheet also helps me identify dietary restrictions for guests who have had health issues such as heart disease, diabetes, etc. In order to be assured of getting their responses back, I tell them that if they don't return the Preference Sheet, they'll be eating Beanie-Weenies because I won't know what they want! I realize this kind of personal attention may not be feasible in a larger operation filled to capacity, but we are restricted to a maximum of six overnight guests. Our guests really like that personal attention they get and some are actually surprised by it..
That is a good plan. I may just mention the beanie weenies on the online booking section. That's where the issues arise...guest who book themselves (so we didn't ask them specifically) and omit entering anything and then don't respond to emails.
I could say, 'If we do not know of your food allergies in advance, feel free to eat cereal if the breakfast we've prepared is not something you can eat.'
What do you do when you are serving breakfast & you've adhered to someone's preferences (like no meat or a certain fruit) and then they say, "You can give my breakfast meat (or kiwi or whatever) to so & so?" Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?? I am not a restaurant. If you didn't want it, I didn't cook/prepare your portion!

I tend to cook enough breakfast for crew, as well, but guests eat first. So, I always have a little extra sausage, eggs, or whatever is on the menu, left over and do offer seconds to my guests. So, I've never been caught with not having enough servings. If I were to run out, the crew can have an alternative breakfast. I'm quite happy with muffins or cereal. Like my grandmother, I've always had this fear of not having enough food for the guests, so my portions tend to be a little oversized as I'd like to err on the side of caution.

What do you do when you are serving breakfast & you've adhered to someone's preferences (like no meat or a certain fruit) and then they say, "You can give my breakfast meat (or kiwi or whatever) to so & so?" Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?? I am not a restaurant. If you didn't want it, I didn't cook/prepare your portion!
Too true....I like to try an talk DW into making the sausage or bacon for them just in case, and then I get to eat it. (she knows my concern is all about my stomach ;) )

I tend to cook enough breakfast for crew, as well, but guests eat first. So, I always have a little extra sausage, eggs, or whatever is on the menu, left over and do offer seconds to my guests. So, I've never been caught with not having enough servings. If I were to run out, the crew can have an alternative breakfast. I'm quite happy with muffins or cereal. Like my grandmother, I've always had this fear of not having enough food for the guests, so my portions tend to be a little oversized as I'd like to err on the side of caution..
Ooh I have to try that line on DW .... Arggh, make enough fer the crew. (guaranteed to get an eye-roll)

I tend to cook enough breakfast for crew, as well, but guests eat first. So, I always have a little extra sausage, eggs, or whatever is on the menu, left over and do offer seconds to my guests. So, I've never been caught with not having enough servings. If I were to run out, the crew can have an alternative breakfast. I'm quite happy with muffins or cereal. Like my grandmother, I've always had this fear of not having enough food for the guests, so my portions tend to be a little oversized as I'd like to err on the side of caution..
I'm with you... always make plenty. This morning I have guests that JBJ would love... they all eat their fruit! One told me yesterday that's all she'd have, so I knew this morning she wouldn't have the entree. I made fruit splits in part so that she'd have lots. But I made a stuffed croissant for her, just in case. After all, I wouldn't have had one otherwise... Plus my "crew" is also willing to help.
=) Kk.

OTOH, we stayed at a place that takes into account that a certain number of guests will not eat the breakfast. They only make x of whatever it is. If guest x + 1 shows up and wants it, they say it's all gone and make them soemthing else. We thought that was odd, but they've been very successful for a number of years so it works for them.
It also encourages you to GET UP in the morning if you want the breakfast du jour.

OTOH, we stayed at a place that takes into account that a certain number of guests will not eat the breakfast. They only make x of whatever it is. If guest x + 1 shows up and wants it, they say it's all gone and make them soemthing else. We thought that was odd, but they've been very successful for a number of years so it works for them.
It also encourages you to GET UP in the morning if you want the breakfast du jour.
Ooof! I'm frugal, but that's cheap.

Too true....I like to try an talk DW into making the sausage or bacon for them just in case, and then I get to eat it. (she knows my concern is all about my stomach ;) )
I make extra for the guests, just in case & there is generally some left over for us because of that. But I just thought it was cheeky to ask her portion to be given to another member of her party after she made a point of telling me that she NEVER ate breakfast meats when she first checked in. I HATE throwing food away & my dh & I don't always eat the leftover breakfast meats.

This was on a booking this morning:
Special Needs: No ham please - bacon ok. Know the breakfast will be quite good. Thanks.
The words SPECIAL NEEDS and DIETARY REQUIREMENTS are not a menu to pick from people! I read it once, then served breakfast and came back to process the rez and just laughed and said aloud "Ok sausage it is."
wink_smile.gif

This was on a booking this morning:
Special Needs: No ham please - bacon ok. Know the breakfast will be quite good. Thanks.
The words SPECIAL NEEDS and DIETARY REQUIREMENTS are not a menu to pick from people! I read it once, then served breakfast and came back to process the rez and just laughed and said aloud "Ok sausage it is."
wink_smile.gif
You have a wicked streak.
devil_smile.gif

middle of a thread update - I am back on firefox and with no ads and boy is this faster. I don't know what it is with I.E. lately, I have all the latest updates and it is a SNAIL.

Back