Guest Hugs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendydk

Reaction score
I think the greatest compliment we can get from a first-time guest is a hug at checkout. Really reminds me why I love doing this. Last two nights had two rooms here together, and a third un-related couple checked in last night. They all lingered over dessert last night and over breakfast this morning. Lots of laughter all around, and this morning they all exchanged hugs and phone numbers when most of the group departed. And, hugs for DH and I from everyone...leaves me with a warm glow and the feeling that "yes, we are doing it right"!
OH, and finding this forum's "Easy button" last night has made this morning doubly enjoyable. Triple thumbs up!
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

Happy Father's Day to all forum dads....hope you don't have to work too hard tomorrow!

You made them feel so welcome! Congrats on a job well done and hitting the mark. I feel sad when guests stay in BnB's that are void of innkeeper interaction. Innkeepers make or break the stay. It doesn't have to be helo-hovering, just small touches and simple gestures such as a smile.
Happy Father's Day to all the Dads and Granddads.

How cool! That is such a good feeling as an innkeeper. You've obviously created a really inviting atmosphere for everyone to feel so at home together.
thumbs_up.gif

Little Blue said:
OH, and finding this forum's "Easy button" last night has made this morning doubly enjoyable. Triple thumbs up!
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

Did I miss something? Where is the Easy Button?

Little Blue said:
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

Did I miss something? Where is the Easy Button?.
The button that allows me to NOT be subject to... [things I don't want to read -edited by swirt to keep the peace.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
]
I just thought calling it the easy button would be easier.

The lady that checked out this morning gave me a hug as she left even though - the lamp in her room broke the glass shade when it fell last night, she could not take a shower this morning, breakfast was like leather with the egg bake and the English muffin bread hard as a rock from being held in the oven for an hour. She DID like the Kenya coffee she chose for me to roast. (The muffins, fruit, and the juices were also good.)

Little Blue said:
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

It is labeled IGNORE USER if you don't want to see posts. Or flag as offensive if you want it to disappear.

Little Blue said:
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

The button that allows me to NOT be subject to... [things I don't want to read -edited by swirt to keep the peace.
]
Welcome Little Blue to the always interesting, never boring; but often irritating forum that is Innspiring,

We had a guest who arrived last night with family. She and I had had several phone conversations to arrange their visit. She hugged me at arrival! Never had that happen before.
regular_smile.gif

We get lots of hugs from departing guest and I always get a kick out of those who attempt to clear the breakfast dishes to "help out". It lets you know that they feel at home.

Little Blue said:
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

]
Hmmm, interesting. I probably could have made my point a little more nicely, but some people just don't get the hint if you keep being nice in the face of their petulance. And, in truth, I thought calling it the easy button would be something everyone would get and I wouldn't have to explain myself.
I always post my OWN opinion, based on my own experiences...and NEVER attack anyone elses statements or opinions, even when I strongly disagree. I'm very even tempered, and people who fly off the handle and get nasty immediately (especially when they don't know you) just rank me to no end.
So, sorry if anyone was offended...and that includes Toad. I've read and reread my posts that bound his undies, and I just don't get it (altho I have my theories).
HOWEVER, now I know what upsets him and he knows what upsets me...what happens henceforth will be with that information fully in mind.

Little Blue said:
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

]
Hmmm, interesting. I probably could have made my point a little more nicely, but some people just don't get the hint if you keep being nice in the face of their petulance. And, in truth, I thought calling it the easy button would be something everyone would get and I wouldn't have to explain myself.
I always post my OWN opinion, based on my own experiences...and NEVER attack anyone elses statements or opinions, even when I strongly disagree. I'm very even tempered, and people who fly off the handle and get nasty immediately (especially when they don't know you) just rank me to no end.
So, sorry if anyone was offended...and that includes Toad. I've read and reread my posts that bound his undies, and I just don't get it (altho I have my theories).
HOWEVER, now I know what upsets him and he knows what upsets me...what happens henceforth will be with that information fully in mind.
Hopefully you both have each other on ignore, in which case the added bit of drama can actually be put to rest. - Please.

Little Blue said:
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

]
Hopefully you both have each other on ignore, in which case the added bit of drama can actually be put to rest. - Please.
Thus the apology.

Little Blue said:
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

]
The price you pay for having an active forum with opinionated innkeepers is a snarky comment from time to time. For those of you who don't know the definition of snarky it is:
[tr][td] [/td] Critical in a curmudgeonly sort of way.
[/td][/tr][/table]As popularized recently by Dane Cook in Vicious Circle.

Little Blue said:
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

]
Aw Swirt. You know that occasional drama is the only thing that separates us from that snoozefest over at Cheers.

Little Blue said:
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

]
Little Blue said:
Sorry, but I took the Hospitality Management 101 as a personal attack. I was totally satisfied with your explanation after that and hopefully you were equally satisfied with mine. Your directness with that comment is acceptable, but being confronted about it is perceived as petulance, and nastiness.
I dropped it that day, it would be nice if you could too.
We've exchanged other more constructive posts related to innkeeping subjects since then which is what I'm most interested in reading and doing here.
In my opinion though, singling out, talking about or around other members even if not by name and if not topic related isn't all that constructive or helpful to forum unity and mutual respect building. And appears to be something many of us could work a little harder at.

thumbs_up.gif
!
On the topic at hand, hugs are huge around here as are any sincere displays of affection and especially after the fact correspondence intitiated by the guest.
We aren't shy about our displays of our affection for guests we really connect with, but we walk a fine line showing it when "regular" type guests who keep us at arms length, don't warm up to us and never let us forget we're just here to serve them. We look forward to the day when the first type outnumbers the latter by a wide margin.
Not that its anyone's fault, most people in the society at large are pretty guarded and protective of their "space" and emotions. Some of our most stone faced, unemotional guests surprise us with the most loyalty and praise to others who end up here.
Look for my thread on the flip side though. The "Squishy Handshake" upon arrival.

Back