Guest Ideas/Suggestions You have Implemented

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
What ideas/suggestions have you gleaned from your guests? Have they mentioned something they enjoyed at another B&B that you thought was a great idea and implemented?

We've had a million suggestions. At this point I can't even remeber everything we've done, but we've done a lot.
  • Changed an in room closet from a 'linen closet' to a 'hanging closet' (no idea why it was a linen closet IN the guest room)
  • Added a microwave to the guest area
  • Keep milk in the guest fridge at all times
  • Got a guest fridge that handles ice
  • Installed a water filter
  • Added nightstands to almost all the rooms (one room I am stuck because there is only 12" on either side of the bed, tough finding 4- 12" nightstands for the 2 beds)
  • Put up a board to tell what's going on that week so guests have options of things to do
  • Not a request, but really loved, is the 'island' in the kitchen where all the guest stuff is stored
Things we haven't done but were told to do...change the name of the inn (we're alphabetically challenged), change our pricing so the least expensive room is MUCH lower than the most expensive (complaint on the part of a guest that she should not have paid 'so much' for her room when the 'best' room was only $20 more), fix the pinging noise when the hot water comes on (can't do that without ripping down the ceiling).
Most of the changes we've made have been to make us happy. To make it easier to function in the space, which makes the space more comfortable for everyone.
  • Stripping wallpaper out of all the bathrooms (it was peeling all the time anyway)
  • Adding extra insulation in that bathrooms to keep the 'running water' noise at a minimum
  • Changing the layout of the gardens

We've had a million suggestions. At this point I can't even remeber everything we've done, but we've done a lot.
  • Changed an in room closet from a 'linen closet' to a 'hanging closet' (no idea why it was a linen closet IN the guest room)
  • Added nightstands to almost all the rooms (one room I am stuck because there is only 12" on either side of the bed, tough finding 4- 12" nightstands for the 2 beds)
  • Put up a board to tell what's going on that week so guests have options of things to do
  • Not a request, but really loved, is the 'island' in the kitchen where all the guest stuff is stored
Things we haven't done but were told to do...change the name of the inn (we're alphabetically challenged), change our pricing so the least expensive room is MUCH lower than the most expensive (complaint on the part of a guest that she should not have paid 'so much' for her room when the 'best' room was only $20 more), fix the pinging noise when the hot water comes on (can't do that without ripping down the ceiling).
Most of the changes we've made have been to make us happy. To make it easier to function in the space, which makes the space more comfortable for everyone.
  • Stripping wallpaper out of all the bathrooms (it was peeling all the time anyway)
  • Adding extra insulation in that bathrooms to keep the 'running water' noise at a minimum
Added nightstands to almost all the rooms (one room I am stuck because there is only 12" on either side of the bed, tough finding 4- 12" nightstands for the 2 beds)
Can you put some sort of a hanging or floating shelf on the wall by the bed instead of a table? No floor space taken up but still someplace for an alarm etc.

Added nightstands to almost all the rooms (one room I am stuck because there is only 12" on either side of the bed, tough finding 4- 12" nightstands for the 2 beds)
Can you put some sort of a hanging or floating shelf on the wall by the bed instead of a table? No floor space taken up but still someplace for an alarm etc.
I've thought about that. If we don't build them ourselves, it's still kind of hard to find something the right size. I have found plant stands generally work out pretty well for those 'corners' but I need 4 of them. I'll check Home Goods again in another month when the spring stuff is all out. Christmas Tree shops had some cute ones, but I'd like at least one side of the bed to have a drawer for the flashlight.

When we were "doing" the bathrooms a guest/now friend asked if we were putting in personal showerheads - her husband likes them. First thought was "that;s nice but no" and then I thought about cleaning a 60 inch shower. Both showers have personal showerheads in addition to the regular ones and when we did our bathroom it only has a personal showerhead and it is wonderful for DH. I never would hve thought about them had it not been for her.
  • hooks on doors
  • CD players
  • extra chairs (since the bench at the foot of the bed was being used as luggage rack
  • tea machine

I've stolen so many ideas from other B&Bs. ;-) haha!
Last year, I started putting snack baskets in the rooms along with their fresh baked treat - usually has about 4 individually wrapped salty items (100 cal packs or snack crackers) and a couple of Mini Moon Pies. I did have small trail mix packs in there for awhile but they made a mess with them. (Were they tossing the bits up in the air and trying to catch them? HA!) Guests loved them....especially since we get late arrivals. That with a cold soda or water seems to tide them over until they head out for something to eat. I usually have fresh fruit in a bowl in the dining room or sometimes at the check-in area that they can grab too.

I've thought about that. If we don't build them ourselves, it's still kind of hard to find something the right size. I have found plant stands generally work out pretty well for those 'corners' but I need 4 of them. I'll check Home Goods again in another month when the spring stuff is all out. Christmas Tree shops had some cute ones, but I'd like at least one side of the bed to have a drawer for the flashlight.
I had this same problem in our old master bedroom, we have a king size bed and it took up just about the whole room. I found a really nice telephone stand at Target. It is 12 inches square and has a nice little drawer at the bottom. Just enough for a flashlight and hand cream, etc in the drawer and a reading lamp and space for my book on top. Overstock might be a good place to look as well.

I had this same problem in our old master bedroom, we have a king size bed and it took up just about the whole room. I found a really nice telephone stand at Target. It is 12 inches square and has a nice little drawer at the bottom. Just enough for a flashlight and hand cream, etc in the drawer and a reading lamp and space for my book on top. Overstock might be a good place to look as well.
I've found simple stools with flat seats on Overstock that did the trick, too.

Back