Guest Information Booklet

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to make these available for a limited time only, here are my two info packs in PDF format.
This is the house pack.
This is the things to see and do.
I bind them with a comb, I put a white card front on it which I print and then a sheet of acetate on top to protect it: So they look like this.....
d999aj8
Highlands John, great booklets. I can see you put a lot of work and thought into them.
I used streetview to drive up to your inn. Amazing that the Google camera truck drove so far up your driveway! Beautiful setting. No wonder it's popular!
Arkansawyer said:
Highlands John, great booklets. I can see you put a lot of work and thought into them.
Thank you. Cumulatively, yes, but they've been growing for the past 8 years. Initially they were much smaller, but I've added things as situations occur or I've had ideas. They are very popular with guests and even the tourist board inspector commented on how good they are.
They initially started from my not wanting to put notices everywhere, so I created the booklet so I could put everything the guests would need to know in one place. As the things to see and do part grew one year I decided to split it into the two you see.
It's also a great backup device, the information is there if guests don't read it it's not your fault. Someone recently said on ta that they would have liked a hair dryer, not only is there a hair dryer in the draw but the booklet tells you that there is one in the draw. What more can I do.
I would suggest to anyone creating one of these is to resist the temptation to put everything you can think of in it, as a guest I don't think that's useful. I put in things that if I was visiting this area for a couple of days I would want to do, restaurants we like, unusual things.
The documents sit on my computer, if I have an important update I can print the relevant page and change the room folders. Less important changes get included when I do a complete reprint in the winter (also they get tatty). In reality I update individual pages maybe 2 or 3 times a year, the bus timetable is the one I most frequently have to change.
None of our competitors has anything like this, and I'd like to keep it that way which is why I'll delete them off the server after 48 hours.

I'm going to make these available for a limited time only, here are my two info packs in PDF format.
This is the house pack.
I bind them with a comb, I put a white card front on it which I print and then a sheet of acetate on top to protect it: So they look like this.....
d999aj8
I used streetview to drive up to your inn. Amazing that the Google camera truck drove so far up your driveway! Beautiful setting. No wonder it's popular!
Arkansawyer said:
Google streetview is in our town this week! They are always here when the leaves are down and it looks dreadful. The only reason I know is someone took a photo in front of the VW when the driver ran into our local sheetz to use the toilet. haha

I've been worrying about streetview and how often they re-do their photos, because if somebody looks up the address of my guesthouse, they currently see it as it looked years ago before the restoration, and it just looks horrible.
Does anybody have any idea how often they re-visit rural towns? Once a century?

I've been worrying about streetview and how often they re-do their photos, because if somebody looks up the address of my guesthouse, they currently see it as it looked years ago before the restoration, and it just looks horrible.
Does anybody have any idea how often they re-visit rural towns? Once a century?.
Arkansawyer said:
Well like you, I can tell the exact time they took the image due to the construction status, etc. But I think on here 6 mo's ago we found the actual date of the image on the image. So for us (we are small town) this is like 5 years later for a retake. Unless they are only here filling in the gaps and NOT RETAKING, which could be a possibility. There is no street view out in the county here, so maybe they are doing that now.
Our place looks like death warmed over on streetview. I HATE for anyone to view it who is looking at staying here. It looks like a dump.

Does anybody have any idea how often they re-visit rural towns? Once a century?.
Arkansawyer said:
Well like you, I can tell the exact time they took the image due to the construction status, etc. But I think on here 6 mo's ago we found the actual date of the image on the image. So for us (we are small town) this is like 5 years later for a retake. Unless they are only here filling in the gaps and NOT RETAKING, which could be a possibility. There is no street view out in the county here, so maybe they are doing that now.
Our place looks like death warmed over on streetview. I HATE for anyone to view it who is looking at staying here. It looks like a dump.
They did ours in the Spring on a nice day, so it all looks rather beautiful. I saw the van come up our drive, shame he didn't come up a bit further and you would have seen me on the house steps.
If you follow the road away from our house into the village you will see the Postie's red van, if you turn to the right you will see the Post Office with the Postie at the door, in the middle of the conservatory there is a head, that's me having a coffee and a blether with the Post Mistress when I should be back at the house cleaning rooms. Ha.
There's also a strange effect if you go further down the road to the Do resI nn. The Inn stands on a junctions of two roads, stand in one and the beer garden of the inn is deserted, stand on the other and the garden is full of people enjoying a beer.

Arkansawyer said:
No idea but our street view is horrid. All blurry and if you look up the address it puts you at the corner rather than at the house. Oddly, I just read a book wherein the author says she had just hauled a mattress to the curb when the Google car went by so for years her house on street view had a nasty mattress leaning up against the mail box.

Arkansawyer said:
They took ours in Fall, the WORST season for this kind of thing. But we also posted our pic on Panoramio in summer with all the coordinates. And it got picked for Google Earth, so when you look at the B&B it has the picture there and if you mouse-over, it overlays and looks just beautiful! So you might want to do that and just HOPE that it gets picked as well.
They continuously do big cities, but small towns, I don't know how often they go by. One time they had half the city covered in snow and half during summer for the sat shot, it was hilarious.

Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
...But I think on here 6 mo's ago we found the actual date of the image on the image. So for us (we are small town) this is like 5 years later for a retake...
Yes, the image date is at the bottom of the streetview images, and the one of my place says image date February 2008! So if they ARE doing it every 5 years, maybe they'll get my finished project soon!
Eric had a good suggestion to post a GOOD photo of your place to Panoramio so at least it's there for those who will dig that deeply into things.

OK, I am a BIG DUH!!! How do you get to streetview at your inn?

OK, I am a BIG DUH!!! How do you get to streetview at your inn?.
gillumhouse said:
Oops! Looks like the Google truck didn't drive down your street to photograph. Closest I can get is here <-- click it to go directly into streetview. But you can still use the cursor keys as described below to explore around the part of town they DID photograph in 2007 (you're way past due for another visit).
  1. Start Google Maps
  2. Zoom in to your town, and to your neighborhood.
  3. On the upper left of the map you'll see the icon of a "little man" at the top of the slider that lets you zoom the map in and out.. Assuming you have Windows, "grab" the little man by clicking and holding down your left mouse button, and drag him to the street where your inn is located and drop him there (release the mouse button). You can only "streetview" streets that turn blue when you grab the little man.
  4. Give the computer a moment and street view will come up, showing your neighborhood. You can use the cursor keys (left arrow, right arrow, up arrow, down arrow) to "drive" around on the street and pan left or right to move around and look at things. You can explore your whole town, and "drive" all the way to Los Angeles if you had the time.
  5. Also, you can use your mouse to grab the screen and drag it left right, up down, to see things. You can also click with the mouse to move where you want to go, rather than using the cursor keys.

gillumhouse said:
Oops! Looks like the Google truck didn't drive down your street to photograph. Closest I can get is here <-- click it to go directly into streetview. But you can still use the cursor keys as described below to explore around the part of town they DID photograph in 2007 (you're way past due for another visit).
  1. Start Google Maps
  3. On the upper left of the map you'll see the icon of a "little man" at the top of the slider that lets you zoom the map in and out.. Assuming you have Windows, "grab" the little man by clicking and holding down your left mouse button, and drag him to the street where your inn is located and drop him there (release the mouse button). You can only "streetview" streets that turn blue when you grab the little man.
  4. Give the computer a moment and street view will come up, showing your neighborhood. You can use the cursor keys (left arrow, right arrow, up arrow, down arrow) to "drive" around on the street and pan left or right to move around and look at things. You can explore your whole town, and "drive" all the way to Los Angeles if you had the time.
  5. Also, you can use your mouse to grab the screen and drag it left right, up down, to see things. You can also click with the mouse to move where you want to go, rather than using the cursor keys.
Thanks. The date is 2007. It still shows the rice Building & Shinnston Plumbing. That property is now an open field awaiting our completion of our Capital Campaign to raise $6M for our Multi-purpose Community Center. If you go to Pike & Walnut and do an eyes left (west) you can see my place - or at least the tree I want to take down. You will be able to see how much taller the tree is than my house roof and it is too close for comfort.

gillumhouse said:
  1. Start Google Maps
Thanks. The date is 2007. It still shows the rice Building & Shinnston Plumbing. That property is now an open field awaiting our completion of our Capital Campaign to raise $6M for our Multi-purpose Community Center. If you go to Pike & Walnut and do an eyes left (west) you can see my place - or at least the tree I want to take down. You will be able to see how much taller the tree is than my house roof and it is too close for comfort.
at least you are better off than my friend at Arden House Franklin Mount (she won't mind me commenting as she is going potty about this) if you put her place in you get a picture of the back! they for some unknown reason havn't done the top half of her street! just stopped about half way up! told her to get people complaining as there are other bb's up there to who won't be on the view either! don't see why they show the back though as it makes her building look awful when she has won awards for her front garden flowers etc which is really nice!

gillumhouse said:
  1. Start Google Maps
at least you are better off than my friend at Arden House Franklin Mount (she won't mind me commenting as she is going potty about this) if you put her place in you get a picture of the back! they for some unknown reason havn't done the top half of her street! just stopped about half way up! told her to get people complaining as there are other bb's up there to who won't be on the view either! don't see why they show the back though as it makes her building look awful when she has won awards for her front garden flowers etc which is really nice!
...she won't mind me commenting as she is going potty about this...
Why oh why didn't I start saving a collection of these "camberisms" years ago! I could have compiled a best seller by now!

gillumhouse said:
  1. Start Google Maps
Why oh why didn't I start saving a collection of these "camberisms" years ago! I could have compiled a best seller by now!
Arkansawyer said:
:)
She was being polite, another way to say it is "she has the sh!@3s" which has a totally different meaning in the U.S.

gillumhouse said:
  1. Start Google Maps
Arkansawyer said:
:)
She was being polite, another way to say it is "she has the sh!@3s" which has a totally different meaning in the U.S.
not sure what the fill in word is - but I meant she is very cross! lol

gillumhouse said:
  1. Start Google Maps
and that will be my claim to fame!

This is the house pack.
d999aj8
Sorry, gone now.
I liked the picture on the front - with mine I put the room numbers on the first page as we are that bit bigger with 12 rooms - it means if I borrow one out of a room to change a page etc then I know where it goes back to.

Back