Guest just told us no milk, no eggs...already shopped for breakfast...need a solution

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountain Inn

Reaction score
Guests have arrived...just learned a wife is lactose intolerant. She said she needs soy milk. Also said she cannot do eggs. And cannot eat anything with milk or eggs cooked into it. I think the heat and the fact we have already stocked for next several days breakfast has me brain dead. OTOH, her hubby can "eat anything." I know we have talked of such here on the forum...a quick search did not pop up a thread on both lactose intolerant and no eggs. Means no egg dish, no pancakes or waffles with our usual recipes, no stuffed French toast, no quiche with cheese. No granola parfait with regular vanilla yogurt, I guess. Fruits okay. EVERYONE else can eat anything.
Anyone on now who has fast solution? I will owe you...

Give her plain fruit, no 'parfait'. Toast with jam and some sort of breakfast meat. And don't apologize for not being a mind reader. If you have oatmeal, she can eat that. We always have cereal on hand which she'd have to eat without benefit of milk, but geez Louise people, grow up and own your problems.

Fastest things I can think of...
Roasted potatoes, veggie stir fry, fruit on side.
Oats w/lots of nice fruit, nuts, brown sugar.

Your mantra:
I am not your mother. I am not a restaurant. I am not bending over backwards because you're an idiot. (Ok, leave out the last one as it doesn't help your aura at all.)

Fastest things I can think of...
Roasted potatoes, veggie stir fry, fruit on side.
Oats w/lots of nice fruit, nuts, brown sugar..
OK, I can do the oats. Veggie stir fry? Roasted potatoes? Nothing like that in the house. And she damned well wouldn't be getting MY dinner.
Sorry, I am a tad fed up with last minute dietary issues. Especially the moue when someone sees what's coming up tomorrow. 'Oh, sorry, I can't eat that.' I whip out the reg form...'I don't see any dietary issues listed here...is this new? As of this minute? Sorry, this is what we're making.'

Your mantra:
I am not your mother. I am not a restaurant. I am not bending over backwards because you're an idiot. (Ok, leave out the last one as it doesn't help your aura at all.).
Right. And I like what Alibi said about not apologizing. Instead, "Oh, I wish I'd known, but since I didn't, here's what we can do for you." And I've also used a question like "So what things DO you eat for breakfast? I'll see if I have that."
Maybe she'll learn that she needs to give folks advance notice, but maybe not. But either way, you shouldn't have to stress TOO hard about it....you'll make sure she gets something in her belly and you won't make a big issue out of it. And I wouldn't make everybody else eat lactose/dairy intolerant when you've already planned for them.

Fruit, breakfast meats, some type of breakfast potato.
Tell her if she's out and about today, tell her to pick up some soy milk. Let HER go out of her way.

we have a goats milk lady in but she told us when she booked 3 weeks ago like a normal person! Its not too bad for us as we are round the corner from a 24 hour shop but I know a lot of people here are a good hours round trip to the shops! grrrr. had two ladies last week 9pm on day of arrival oh we only drink skimmed (ie white water pretending to be milk) can you get some in for us/don't you have any in? no one in this whole ruddy country drinks it cos it tastes fricking horrible! of course I don't have any in!!!!!

Like the others said do some roasted potatoes and then stir fry them wtih some veggies and meat on the side that you're serving the others.
And yes, I would tell her to pick up some soy milk when she is out. You had not advance notice.
RIki

Fruit, breakfast meats, some type of breakfast potato.
Tell her if she's out and about today, tell her to pick up some soy milk. Let HER go out of her way..
Had a pregnant guest the other day who BROUGHT the yogurt she wants....didn't wait to see if we had a particular kind. Just brought it and asked me to serve it.
Love.

I use almond milk a lot for no-lactose people, and you can make your own. I never have but my college-age housekeeper brought in some homemade this morning for herself. Here's a link to a recipe.

Give her plain fruit, no 'parfait'. Toast with jam and some sort of breakfast meat. And don't apologize for not being a mind reader. If you have oatmeal, she can eat that. We always have cereal on hand which she'd have to eat without benefit of milk, but geez Louise people, grow up and own your problems..
good ideas...we always have oatmeal. and fruit. and we always serve a breakfast meat. will start working on it. If you think of more ideas, i am here. thanks.

Fruit plate with toast or an english muffin, just check the bread label for eggs/milk solids or make your own
Tough for her on the milk but FYI I have started keeping those long life (shelf) boxes of Soy or Almond milk but if someone checked in and not told me ahead and I did not have any I would not stress about it
I always ask on res (calls) if there is anything they don't eat / don't like or allergic to. If they make online it asks same.
And if they don't tell well there is nothing you can do.

JUST back from my Aspiring Seminar. It went well. I have a gluten-free coming in tomorrow. O am planning to make a baked oatmeal for her - no muffins Saturday morning. DH may have to serve - I am schedule to be manning the Kiwanis "toll-road" from 8 to 9 for the Neo-natal Tetnus Project. And she told me gluten-free when she made the online rez.

We ask when we take their reservations and again when we send their confirmation if there are any dietary restrictions and it's also posted in their rooms with a reminder about what time breakfast is served.
If we're given advanced notice, we will go out of our way to accommodate them. However, if they are so inconsiderate not to give us advance notice, then I really don't give a rat's ass if they starve. This ain't no restaurant. The choices are: take it or leave it.

Give her plain fruit, no 'parfait'. Toast with jam and some sort of breakfast meat. And don't apologize for not being a mind reader. If you have oatmeal, she can eat that. We always have cereal on hand which she'd have to eat without benefit of milk, but geez Louise people, grow up and own your problems..
good ideas...we always have oatmeal. and fruit. and we always serve a breakfast meat. will start working on it. If you think of more ideas, i am here. thanks.
These are anything goes muffins makes 6 muffins.
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
3tsp b powder
1/2 cup sugar
2 Eggs replaced (4tbsp ground flax +6tbsp water)- mix in a small bowl and let go gelatinous before adding to recipe
1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup sour soy milk (add 1tsp vinegar to milk)or rice milk or almond milk
1 1/2 cup fresh/frozen fruit of your choice

Preheat oven to 350. In a lrg bowl stir together flour, salt and b powder. Add sweetner, egg replacer, oil, sr milk, and fruit. Stir until just mixed. Scoop into lightly oiled muffin tins and bake for 35-45 min. Use fork to see if done
COMBOS to use
apple, raisin
banana choc chip (remember use dark chocolate-)
strawberry apricot
pear apple\
ginger, apple apricot
opps sorry these are muffins.I serve with lots of fruit.

An Israeli breakfast...
israeli.jpg

http://kosherfood.about.com/od/koshersaladrecipes/r/salad_israeli.htm
Some hummus, eggplant salad and tehina if you have it. Skip the yogurt. Add fruit or cereal.
The salad is rather easy. I know I linked a recipe, but basically you dice cucumber, tomato, a little green pepper and a little onion. To top you can add a little lemon and some salt and it's done. No dressing is needed because there is no lettuce. I can eat this all the time, so simple, so fresh. (And yes, this is part of breakfast in Israel.) And I have served it a few times, especially to diabetics.

If you asked them in advance about dietary needs and they did not reply, then it is their own fault. You are not a restaurant. Let them eat what they can and forget about it.

we have a goats milk lady in but she told us when she booked 3 weeks ago like a normal person! Its not too bad for us as we are round the corner from a 24 hour shop but I know a lot of people here are a good hours round trip to the shops! grrrr. had two ladies last week 9pm on day of arrival oh we only drink skimmed (ie white water pretending to be milk) can you get some in for us/don't you have any in? no one in this whole ruddy country drinks it cos it tastes fricking horrible! of course I don't have any in!!!!!.
oh we only drink skimmed (ie white water pretending to be milk)
Not that's funny!

Back