Guest Made clothes line for Undies

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini

Reaction score
Yes our guests from Denmark (a 6 night stay ) made themselves a clothesline in our front yard to hang not only their clothes but their undies.
Therefore, all incoming guests got to see this as they drove up and of course think it is our doing.
I offered them our washer and dryer but no they would never use a dryer they said.
I now wish I had taken a picture but they checked out this morning. Don't we get all kinds?

We've never had them hung outside but we have had them draped across the light fixtures (and I did take a picture of that) and one family draped ALL of their laundry over the sprinkler pipes, the beds, wooden furniture and the railing to the stairs.
Sorry, but I would have had to explain to those guests of yours that we do not hang our laundry out where all the other guests can have a good goggle at it as they pull in.

If they did that around here... they would come back to nothing hanging outside and the clothesline taken as well.

Perhaps you could provide a place for guests to hang wet laundry. We have a regular clothes line for our own laundry and let guests know that it is available for them to hang wet or sandy articles. Sometimes they do.....sometimes they just hang wet things from the wooden doors or leave sandy, wet towels in a heap on our furniture. Still, you could try to provide a place and hope for the best for the next time.

I wouldn't have said I'll put it in the dryer - I just say we will bring it back to you dry they don't need to know anything else.

That would have made the absolutely most fun blog article! I wish you had taken a a photo.
Really those are the items most likely to need a good wash and line dry!
wink_smile.gif

I must have mellowed in my old age cause it didn't really bother me at all and it was great breakfast conversation as they all got to watch her not only make the clothesline (from tree to tree) but hang her undies all while guests dined on the veranda. They had a good chuckle!

I must have mellowed in my old age cause it didn't really bother me at all and it was great breakfast conversation as they all got to watch her not only make the clothesline (from tree to tree) but hang her undies all while guests dined on the veranda. They had a good chuckle!.
As long as the other guests had a good laugh, then I wouldn't worry. It would just be new arrivals I would be concerned with.
IF we hung our laundry out, it would be behind the inn where guests don't go. we don't because there are too dang many seagulls and trees here!

I haven't had them make a clothes line but I have had people drape their clothes over the balcony railing at the front of the house. Have even seen undies drapped over chairs on the balcony as well.
Thank goodness we sit far enough back from the street and partially hidden by trees that people could really not see as they rode by. Meanwhile I felt like we were the Beverly Hillbillies all over again.

even though funny, why didn't they ask before stringing out a line? they might not be so kindly received elsewhere. just sayin'.
i think there is a whole other thread about places not allowing clothes lines. when i was a child, we used to have the kind like a may pole with all lines going round.
my first apartment, i hung out my laundry on one big long line from porch to garage, then noticed the tenant on the floor above's clothes line was directly above mine ... they hung theirs and all their wet clothes dripped onto mine.
confused_smile.gif

with lots of people feeling more green, maybe laundry lines are coming back? although, at the place i had in a harbor, you could NOT hang out laundry. the seagulls would drop their dirties all over it.

We've never had them hung outside but we have had them draped across the light fixtures (and I did take a picture of that) and one family draped ALL of their laundry over the sprinkler pipes, the beds, wooden furniture and the railing to the stairs.
Sorry, but I would have had to explain to those guests of yours that we do not hang our laundry out where all the other guests can have a good goggle at it as they pull in..
I'm with you on this one Madeleine, rather this than use the fixtures and fittings in the room. Had someone virtually rip the extending shaving mirror off the wall because they used it as a clothers dryer.

even though funny, why didn't they ask before stringing out a line? they might not be so kindly received elsewhere. just sayin'.
i think there is a whole other thread about places not allowing clothes lines. when i was a child, we used to have the kind like a may pole with all lines going round.
my first apartment, i hung out my laundry on one big long line from porch to garage, then noticed the tenant on the floor above's clothes line was directly above mine ... they hung theirs and all their wet clothes dripped onto mine.
confused_smile.gif

with lots of people feeling more green, maybe laundry lines are coming back? although, at the place i had in a harbor, you could NOT hang out laundry. the seagulls would drop their dirties all over it..
I use one for a lot of my laundry ( during good weather, of course). In this Texas heat, eveything dries in 5 minutes! Usually I will put it out on the line to partially dry then tumble it in the dryer to finish it off and make it softer. Nothing worse than trying to get your butt into dried-stiff blue jeans!
I have only one guest ever use it...asking first. Not seen anyone lay out wet clothes in the room or elsewhere. I have done that myself on trips overseas because you can't find a laundry service in some places. Took a line with me that you hang over the bathtub.

Like I said, makes a good blog article. Most people in the world hang their laundry out, we used to in the USA (still many do). I thought it was cute.

Sorry, but I would have had to explain to those guests of yours that we do not hang our laundry out where all the other guests can have a good goggle at it as they pull in..
I'm with you on this one Madeleine, rather this than use the fixtures and fittings in the room. Had someone virtually rip the extending shaving mirror off the wall because they used it as a clothers dryer.
Im with you I don't want them hanging wet laundry over my paint work, beds etc would rather run it through the dryer and be done.
Trouble with where I am there is only about 2 laundrets where you can have stuff done and it costs a fortune! and they are a good 3 miles walk from me!

Im with you I don't want them hanging wet laundry over my paint work, beds etc would rather run it through the dryer and be done.
Trouble with where I am there is only about 2 laundrets where you can have stuff done and it costs a fortune! and they are a good 3 miles walk from me!
I do a laundry service for £9.50 a load, which is quite popular with people on long holidays from the US, Australia and the like.
But some people just want to wash through a few smalls in the sink and dry it in the bathroom.
1 launderette around here, in Inverness, 10 miles away.

I do a laundry service for £9.50 a load, which is quite popular with people on long holidays from the US, Australia and the like.
But some people just want to wash through a few smalls in the sink and dry it in the bathroom.
if we have long term guests ie we had electricians last year stayed monday through friday for 6 months - i did theirs for a couple of quid (pounds for the yanks) but I don't do ironing!

if we have long term guests ie we had electricians last year stayed monday through friday for 6 months - i did theirs for a couple of quid (pounds for the yanks) but I don't do ironing!
No. I don't do ironing either. I spend enough of my time doing my own ironing so I'm not doing guests too.

Damn, I'm cheap. I do a load for $10. And I'm sure your machines in the UK are smaller than mine! I gotta increase my price.

Damn, I'm cheap. I do a load for $10. And I'm sure your machines in the UK are smaller than mine! I gotta increase my price.
My machines are 7kg.
Guests have the convenience of handing over their washing in the morning and coming back in the evening and it's all done. No waiting about, no trying to find the launderette or the costs of washes.
And to be frank, if they don't want to pay our price preferring to go and do it themselves I don't care.... It's one less job for me.

My machines are 7kg.
Guests have the convenience of handing over their washing in the morning and coming back in the evening and it's all done. No waiting about, no trying to find the launderette or the costs of washes.
And to be frank, if they don't want to pay our price preferring to go and do it themselves I don't care.... It's one less job for me.
Assuming that I have done the calculations correctly (because we talk about our washing machines in cubic feet or cubic metres) our machine would be 12 kg machines or about 75% larger than yours. And I do the same, same day return for $10 plus tax, so that would be equivalen to about 7.25 quid for a load, washed, dried and folded. They can go to the self-service, it's just 400m away. Cost them about quite a bit less... but they have to stay there for 2 to 3 hours to do a load. Maybe about $4 to $5 for a load, including buying soap.
And yes, I agree, if they want to do it themselves, please! One less thing for me to do and one less load of laundry for the day.

Back