Guest needs to extend stay, requires moving lots of other guests, what to do?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
So, emergency situation here with guest who requires additional nights but does not want to change rooms. 'Their' room is booked by guests who specifically picked that room. THAT guest's 'usual' room is taken so I can't swap them unless I move someone else. What would YOU do?

I would explain to the NEW checking in guests the situation. They should have a heart in this situation, if not I would kick their...oops, I mean, give them the chance to prove they are decent people.
Explain the situation to them. 100% that is what I would do. I would not stress over it, give them a call.

I'm sorry I don't agree. If a guest wants to stay past their reservation they must move.
I don't ask guests to change a booking that they picked out and reserved.
Period.
RIki

I'm sorry I don't agree. If a guest wants to stay past their reservation they must move.
Period.
RIki.
egoodell said:
Period.
RIki
Here's the 'emergency' part of it, which JBJ knew in advance...the guest had emergency surgery last night. She can't/shouldn't travel.

Period.
RIki.
I agree with egoodell, I would have the extended stay guest move to another room, especially if the new one scheduled to come in are new guests. There are a couple of exceptions: would it be an upgrade for the new people coming in if you switched rooms? Are your rooms all smiliar with the same amenities?

Well at first I was egoodell but NOW that I know the situation I would call the check in guests prior to arrival and explain. Hopefully they will be as thoughful as you are being. Maybe you could throw in something as a 'little' thank you for being so accommodating...

I agree that a call to the in-coming to ask if they would be willing to change rooms please because of the situation. IF an upgrade is possible that could be the "carrot". This is not just a case of a stubborn, difficult guest - it is a medical situation.

The 'upgraded' room is the one the incoming guests have booked. I can't upgrade any further! What I was trying to do was give them a comparable room, but it's booked. Unless I move THOSE guests, too. In which case, what is happening is everyone would get a 'downgraded' room. NOT what I want to do on V-Day weekend when you know it's the fireplaces, etc that everyone wants.
To me, the simplest is that the present guests move even tho it is a lot of work all around. We'll see what happens in the next few hours.

Period.
RIki.
egoodell said:
Period.
RIki
Here's the 'emergency' part of it, which JBJ knew in advance...the guest had emergency surgery last night. She can't/shouldn't travel.
If she is coming and should not travel due to suregery etc etc, she should be moved to the downgrade for one whole stay, and put the others in that room into the upgrade.
That way you won't have to re-move anyone.
If she does not want to agree with that, then she will have to move for her additional nights.
I am sorry but still would politely enforce my bookings since there is no solution. I would also tell the guest that I am so relieved that I HAVE a room to move her to on this, a HOLIDAY weekend.
I would assist in the move. You cannot change other people's bookings. At least in my situation, people specifically book a specific room.
This is only confirmed by the fact that all the other guests will be downgraded. Not a good thing. I know it's difficult to move, but I feel the guest should be grateful that on a HOLIDAY weekend she even has a room to move her to for the additional nights.
RIki

The 'upgraded' room is the one the incoming guests have booked. I can't upgrade any further! What I was trying to do was give them a comparable room, but it's booked. Unless I move THOSE guests, too. In which case, what is happening is everyone would get a 'downgraded' room. NOT what I want to do on V-Day weekend when you know it's the fireplaces, etc that everyone wants.
To me, the simplest is that the present guests move even tho it is a lot of work all around. We'll see what happens in the next few hours..
Move them!! I forgot it was Valentine's weekend. It's more work, but you want to keep your other guests happy and it's a very special weekend for them.

if it was me .... I would simply move the guest who is over-staying REGARDLESS of why.
'we will take all good care to carefully move everything FOR you, but this room was reserved in advance by another party. you are absolutely welcome to stay in this other room - we would love to have you stay as long as you would like. '
if you really want to, call the guests checking in and ask ... if they want the room they originally booked, no problem
just be warned - i had guests (wife acting as spokesman) who said NO PROBLEM - we will take the other room. but then i find out on the second day into their stay that they were not happy with the reassignment, regardless of the price break i gave them in addition to the lower room rate and i had dissatisfied guests on my hands. even though they said they absolutely did not mind, they were just being 'nice' .... and did not want to say NO.
by the way ... you know the little hotel across the road from where i was? he practically NEVER promised a particular room. just noted number of people and bed requests. he was always moving people around. very, very hotel-ish ... even though they only had 10 guest rooms.

Since this IS the upgrade room, I agree that whatever the hassle - the stayover moves. Her problem, although you sympathize, is not your problem and you are not asking her to "travel" other than the few steps to the other room. Being Valentine's it truly IS a big deal for you.

Well, we explained we couldn't move the other guests so these folks are leaving. They don't want a different room. So, end of story for me. Thanks for explaining how you would handle it!

so the guest who 'can't/shouldn't travel' left? was this a first floor room?
a confirmed reservation to me is most important. i would do my best to accommodate a stay over but since your rooms are all so different ... a reservation for a particular room is very important to the guest checking in. is sometimes the reason they booked with you.
sorry it did not work out.

a confirmed reservation to me is most important. i would do my best to accommodate a stay over but since your rooms are all so different ... a reservation for a particular room is very important to the guest checking in. is sometimes the reason they booked with you.
sorry it did not work out..
Not yet, but they're leaving when their 'time' is up rather than staying longer. Wish I could have helped out but they just don't want a different room.

Not yet, but they're leaving when their 'time' is up rather than staying longer. Wish I could have helped out but they just don't want a different room.
Sorry about that Bree. I think this is another example of how we as innkeepers fret, worry and try to bend over backwards for our guests, but they are totally unaware of the position they put you in. I'm not blaming them, they want what they want and they weren't afraid to ask. I find it interesting how we all reacted to it. For me, it just would reinforce that I've got policies for a reason. Stick to 'em if that's your gut feeling.

Sorry about that Bree. I think this is another example of how we as innkeepers fret, worry and try to bend over backwards for our guests, but they are totally unaware of the position they put you in. I'm not blaming them, they want what they want and they weren't afraid to ask. I find it interesting how we all reacted to it. For me, it just would reinforce that I've got policies for a reason. Stick to 'em if that's your gut feeling.
NW BB said:
That was what I was asking her, after all this heartache, would the "injured" guests just say "Well we are going to leave now, we think we can make it home." You just never know do ya.
I had guests who were sick and couldn't leave - he was a doctor. My gut told me he was a binge drinker and was hung over. I could hear him barfing up a lung, what could I do- tell him to move on out? So I let them stay. There was no doubt after they left it was self-induced sickness. Made me so mad!
Sometimes you just do what you have to do. Sometimes policies must be ignored. As someone on this forum used to always say and I paraphrase "Don't give yourself more grief" so sometimes it is worth the battle, other times it is not!

NW BB said:
My 'policy' on moving guests is that I reserve the right to do so based on occupancy. If you've booked one night, I reserve the right to move you for someone else who wants to stay longer. I also say that your room will be equal or better, which I could not do in this case. That's my only policy in re changing rooms.
It's funny, tho, what I consider an 'upgrade' some guests do not. To me, getting your bathroom IN your room vs in the hall is an upgrade. Some guests do NOT want to change out of that room, even offered a fireplace room. Go figure.

NW BB said:
My 'policy' on moving guests is that I reserve the right to do so based on occupancy. If you've booked one night, I reserve the right to move you for someone else who wants to stay longer. I also say that your room will be equal or better, which I could not do in this case. That's my only policy in re changing rooms.
It's funny, tho, what I consider an 'upgrade' some guests do not. To me, getting your bathroom IN your room vs in the hall is an upgrade. Some guests do NOT want to change out of that room, even offered a fireplace room. Go figure.
Bree said:
Again, goes back to the thread on the guest refusing the color of the quilt. People are quirky.
tounge_smile.gif

Back