Guest Privacy - In the News

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperhead

Reaction score
A sports reporter has filed suit against hotel in stalking case.
Of course being at a smaller property with very attentive innkeepers, we most likey would not have this type of experience but it does provide a real wake up call as to what someone will do to invade someones privacy.
....they gave out private information, such as her room number, allowing a man obsessed with her to secretly video her naked through a hotel keyhole. ....
"I do hope that my experience will cause the hospitality industry to be more vigilant in protecting its guests from the time they reserve a hotel room until they check out," Andrews said
This second article said the stalker had contacted 14 hotels to find her and had rent hotel rooms next to hers in three cities enabling him to alter the keyhole... She hoped the lawsuit would force the hotels to be more vigilant when they check in a guest.

I wonder how one videos someone through a keyhole...considering most of the hotels today have key card access...just curious??? And why did no one see him doing it???
Erin should sue them...a hotel should NEVER give out that information. Obviously someone wasn't trained properly or wasn't following the rules...a real shame.

Didn't this happen quite awhile ago?
Also, in re the peephole thing, next time you are in a hotel room, look out thru the peephole. Don't be surprised if you can't. A LOT of them have been turned around so anyone in the hall can look in. I've had it on at least 2 rooms in different locations and my mom noticed it last year.

I wonder how one videos someone through a keyhole...considering most of the hotels today have key card access...just curious??? And why did no one see him doing it???
Erin should sue them...a hotel should NEVER give out that information. Obviously someone wasn't trained properly or wasn't following the rules...a real shame..
Not a keyhole, the peephole you can use to look out to see who is knocking on the door. At leat that's how I understood the story originally.

Also, in re the peephole thing, next time you are in a hotel room, look out thru the peephole. Don't be surprised if you can't. A LOT of them have been turned around so anyone in the hall can look in. I've had it on at least 2 rooms in different locations and my mom noticed it last year..
This happened sometime last year but she is just now sueing the hotel - within the 1 year mark.
About the peephole thing have heard of them being altered. Guess it would be smart to bring some masking or duct tape just in case.

Also, in re the peephole thing, next time you are in a hotel room, look out thru the peephole. Don't be surprised if you can't. A LOT of them have been turned around so anyone in the hall can look in. I've had it on at least 2 rooms in different locations and my mom noticed it last year..
This happened sometime last year but she is just now sueing the hotel - within the 1 year mark.
About the peephole thing have heard of them being altered. Guess it would be smart to bring some masking or duct tape just in case.
Totally agree with the duct tape! Or, just pop it out and turn it around so it faces the correct way.

Erin should sue them...a hotel should NEVER give out that information. Obviously someone wasn't trained properly or wasn't following the rules...a real shame..
Not a keyhole, the peephole you can use to look out to see who is knocking on the door. At leat that's how I understood the story originally.
You may be correct - the article I took the statement from said keyhole but the other article mentioned peephole.
I still wonder how he could have altered the peephole to have the camera without some one noticing him doing the altering OR seeing the device. I know that they are small but are they really so small that they would not be noticed on the door? I guess nothing should be taken for granted - it could have been made to look like a peep hole. - Slime bags are able to find all kinds of devices these days.

Keyholes in adjoining rooms?.
See that was what I was thinking...he couldn't have just stood out in the hallways and stuck a camera in the peep hole...it had to be from an adjoining room or maybe down the air shaft of the room above????? Just doesn't make alot of sense to me....I know it happened because the photos were all over the internet and they used them as evidence I believe in the trial. This actually is an old story.

You may be correct - the article I took the statement from said keyhole but the other article mentioned peephole.
I still wonder how he could have altered the peephole to have the camera without some one noticing him doing the altering OR seeing the device. I know that they are small but are they really so small that they would not be noticed on the door? I guess nothing should be taken for granted - it could have been made to look like a peep hole. - Slime bags are able to find all kinds of devices these days.
I think the idea that he was trying to secure rooms next to hers means he must have been doing this room-room vs hallway-room.

See that was what I was thinking...he couldn't have just stood out in the hallways and stuck a camera in the peep hole...it had to be from an adjoining room or maybe down the air shaft of the room above????? Just doesn't make alot of sense to me....I know it happened because the photos were all over the internet and they used them as evidence I believe in the trial. This actually is an old story.
Catlady said: " This actually is an old story."
The lawsuit against the hotel is a NEW story - and the reason for it being posted was due to the privacy matter against the hotel, not how the peeping was actually carried out.

Catlady said: " This actually is an old story."
The lawsuit against the hotel is a NEW story - and the reason for it being posted was due to the privacy matter against the hotel, not how the peeping was actually carried out.
Yes I understand the new lawsuit and the privacy issue. I was just curious about the other since I hadn't really followed her case except what I had seen on the news.

Back