guest privacy

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dee C.

Reaction score
A gentleman called late afternoon wanting a room for the evening, maybe two. He checked in, came down for breakfast and said he'd stay for one more night and that he had meetings all day. Shortly after he left, my husband was on the phone and kept hearing the call waiting signal. It was almost constant so he figured it was important and took the call. The caller, a woman, asked if so and so was staying at our place and if he were there at that moment. My husband told her he was staying with us but not at the moment. She then asked if he were staying tonight. He said he didn't know. When he told me of the call iIwent a little nuts. I told him we should never give any info about our guests no matter what. He said he was afraid it was an emergency due to the persistent call waitng. I'd love feedback.

What did his gut say?
We have callers asking for guests all the time, even had a bank calling last week for guests, the bank said "They said they were staying there"
Unless I have a gut feeling about it, it is hard to not communicate that a guest is here.

What did his gut say?
We have callers asking for guests all the time, even had a bank calling last week for guests, the bank said "They said they were staying there"
Unless I have a gut feeling about it, it is hard to not communicate that a guest is here..
My husband didn't think anything about it until she asked if the guest were staying tonight. Then a red flag went up.

Which really could have simply been due to the fact that the guest himself didn't know that until this morning.
While I always try my best to refrain from giving any guest information out, especially if the caller doesn't seem to know themselves where the guest is staying, it's never really easy to do that.
I think JB's right. In most cases, you have to trust your gut.
If it were me, though, I'd probably give the guest a call and let him know that someone was looking for him. He'll probably know who it was. And he can tell you what info, if any, he wants you to give to any future callers.

Which really could have simply been due to the fact that the guest himself didn't know that until this morning.
While I always try my best to refrain from giving any guest information out, especially if the caller doesn't seem to know themselves where the guest is staying, it's never really easy to do that.
If it were me, though, I'd probably give the guest a call and let him know that someone was looking for him. He'll probably know who it was. And he can tell you what info, if any, he wants you to give to any future callers..
I did actully call his cell a couple of hours later but I think he's at meetings all day. I felt weird leaving a message. I will mention it to him tonight.

If it were me, though, I'd probably give the guest a call and let him know that someone was looking for him. He'll probably know who it was. And he can tell you what info, if any, he wants you to give to any future callers..
I did actully call his cell a couple of hours later but I think he's at meetings all day. I felt weird leaving a message. I will mention it to him tonight.
You know, if it were me, I'd probably leave a message. His cell phone may be out of range (which may be why whoever called didn't reach him) or he may have the ringer turned off for the meetings.
Either way, he might appreciate knowing someone's looking for him, whether the caller is someone he wants to hear from or not.

You know, if it were me, I'd probably leave a message. His cell phone may be out of range (which may be why whoever called didn't reach him) or he may have the ringer turned off for the meetings.
Either way, he might appreciate knowing someone's looking for him, whether the caller is someone he wants to hear from or not.
You're right. I may not see him until late or not at all. I'll leave a message. Thanks, everyone. I didn't know if I were making too much of this.

A little late here but I do agree with JB and use your gut feeling. If the person was open and up front saying hi this is Jane Doe, Bobby Mac's assistant (you fill in) and am trying to track him down... If they are not willing to give me info, I would be reluctant to do the same, especially knowing that the person was traveling with his cell.
If someone was calling a hotel, they simply would say 'Bobby Mac's room please' and if he were staying there the call would be transferred.
The ones I have the problem with is someone calling to verify someone elses reservation. That draws a flag...

A little late here but I do agree with JB and use your gut feeling. If the person was open and up front saying hi this is Jane Doe, Bobby Mac's assistant (you fill in) and am trying to track him down... If they are not willing to give me info, I would be reluctant to do the same, especially knowing that the person was traveling with his cell.
If someone was calling a hotel, they simply would say 'Bobby Mac's room please' and if he were staying there the call would be transferred.
The ones I have the problem with is someone calling to verify someone elses reservation. That draws a flag....
Copperhead said:
The ones I have the problem with is someone calling to verify someone elses reservation. That draws a flag...
Yep. Those are the ones that just give me the heebie jeebies every time.

Correct, if you call a hotel you would ask for John Doe's room and they transfer you, if you call and ask "Can you tell me if John Doe is staying there?" You would get a diff response.
Dee C can you tell us the rest of the story now? I think we have it so much easier with cell phones, as in the past we would have taken plenty of these type calls. The ones I get now are "I can't reach him/her on their cell phone are they there?" This is sometimes where I draw the line, as tell them I don't keep track of the guests.

I did leave a message on his cell, and when I saw him this morning for breakfast, he told me not to worry about it, there was no problem . I have a feeling it was a family issue, but it's done. I appreciate the feedback!

I had a couple here fresh off the plane from Scotland who had a family member call three times before they stepped in the door - which ended up making them try to change their plans and fly home asap.
People will call, and the chances of it being legit are 99.9% in my estimation.
On the same note, I did had a lady here stalking her son, she paid cash and was trying to locate him. I had a very bad feeling about her, she was very distraught and I did not ask any details, just provided her lodging and that was that. That was the only time I can recall in nearly 7 years of something "fishy" going on.

OK, this was so weird I had to throw it in here...just answered a call and woman says, 'Oh? I must have dialed the wrong number.' I ask who is she looking for. She says a name, someone who is definitely not here but I know the name. So, I engage the caller in conversation, asking if the person lives in my town? No, person lives elsewhere.
Cue up Twilight Zone music...the person she wanted IS the person I know who lives somewhere else (completely different state). Caller mentions person AND her husband and where they live.
Ooooo. Weird.
Why she called here I have no idea. How she got this number, I don't know. Caller said her sister, the person I know, gave it to her.

OK, this was so weird I had to throw it in here...just answered a call and woman says, 'Oh? I must have dialed the wrong number.' I ask who is she looking for. She says a name, someone who is definitely not here but I know the name. So, I engage the caller in conversation, asking if the person lives in my town? No, person lives elsewhere.
Cue up Twilight Zone music...the person she wanted IS the person I know who lives somewhere else (completely different state). Caller mentions person AND her husband and where they live.
Ooooo. Weird.
Why she called here I have no idea. How she got this number, I don't know. Caller said her sister, the person I know, gave it to her..
I'm guessing that it's less twilight zone and more that your friend just gave them your number by mistake.
But it probably would have creeped me out all the same.

Back