guest reaction makes me wonder

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
so we had guests coming from out west. they were to have stayed monday nite but called and said they were stranded at the airport, could they stay tuesday nite instead. easy as pie ... we are not busy ...
when they booked their room, they asked for the folding cot for 'grandma' ... that just did not sound good to me at all. and they had a tight budget, etc. etc. ... so for $50 more (remember, we are really slow midweek) i offered her a separate room. her own bed, her own bathroom. much much more comfortable than the other arrangement!
they arrived yesterday and the couple loved their room, but grandma was 'disappointed' ... no water view, not very big, their room was so much nicer than hers ... a few minutes temper flare i thought .... she seemed quite aggrieved
... and all three stood watching for my reaction.
i patted down my hair to hide the steam rising out of my ears and said, 'let me know if you need anything else' and left.
i WANTED to say 'did you know that for $25, the kids had you sleeping on a folding cot in here?'
certainly, they could let her sit in one of the wing chairs in their room to gaze out the window or at the big desk looking out. i don't suppose they told her she was going to be on a cot.
p.s. guess who paid the balance on the rooms?
wink_smile.gif

~m*

Oh, well...I guess you could have said, "This was the best available accommodation that I could offer you for such a deeply discounted price. We usually charge $25 for an extra person in a room on a cot." The end. Ungrateful wretch! haha
teeth_smile.gif

It's always easier to come up with what you shoulda, coulda, woulda said, after the fact....isn't it??
regular_smile.gif

Oh, well...I guess you could have said, "This was the best available accommodation that I could offer you for such a deeply discounted price. We usually charge $25 for an extra person in a room on a cot." The end. Ungrateful wretch! haha
teeth_smile.gif

It's always easier to come up with what you shoulda, coulda, woulda said, after the fact....isn't it??
regular_smile.gif
shoulda coulda woulda
you are right.
i should have said, 'you can have this room for $144.' and shown her the one with a view. maybe she would have wanted it, even for the additional 94 plus tax.
i don't know.
i think she wasn't aware of the original plan for the cot.

Hubs was amazed that 'mother' paid and the kids got the better room. He thought a good parting comment would have been, 'I don't mind who sleeps in which room, decide that among yourselves.'

teeth_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif
shoulda coulda woulda
you are right.
i should have said, 'you can have this room for $144.' and shown her the one with a view. maybe she would have wanted it, even for the additional 94 plus tax.
i don't know.
i think she wasn't aware of the original plan for the cot.
These kids nowadays! HA! Wow, I would always offer my Mom a better room, if it was me :)

Hubs was amazed that 'mother' paid and the kids got the better room. He thought a good parting comment would have been, 'I don't mind who sleeps in which room, decide that among yourselves.'.
i never think of what to say at the time!!!
wink_smile.gif

Hubs was amazed that 'mother' paid and the kids got the better room. He thought a good parting comment would have been, 'I don't mind who sleeps in which room, decide that among yourselves.'.
i never think of what to say at the time!!!
wink_smile.gif

I'm like that too. Especially if someone says something that hurts my feelings. I'm so taken aback! And then later on, something comes to me that I should have said...the perfect retort :) Oh, well...in this business, it's probably good that we're tongue tied sometimes ;-)

Bree said:
Hubs was amazed that 'mother' paid and the kids got the better room. He thought a good parting comment would have been, 'I don't mind who sleeps in which room, decide that among yourselves.'
That's probably what grandma was angling for!
=)
Kk.

Back