Guest Room Art

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimBoone

Reaction score
What would your opinions be of original art in guest rooms? A local artist expressed an interest in displaying her art for sale (has painted a variety of scenes from our garden).
Edit: So far I've not seen the email she was going to send to follow up with me, although it may be she has just not returned home as yet.
Add that I also like HJ's work, very nice

ALL art displayed in the Gillum House is by the now late artist John Panek. And it is for sale - prices have gone up.

I think it's great to use original art. I have quite a bit displayed at my place. I put a card by each, telling who created it, and when, and how it connects to my town or my old building. It's much more interesting and impressive to guests than generic stuff that's mass produced.

I did this also - in each guest room and in the common areas. Little cards, artist bio and price. I had professionally installed hangers so it wouldn't fall and each artist hung their own pieces. Definitely a win for everyone.

Great idea. Win-win-win for you, the artist and your guests.
We have almost exclusively local artist's pieces in our house. It supports the destination aspect of the town.

I think it's great to have original art in the rooms, all my rooms have canvas prints of my photos of the area. I get a lot of great comments about this. I've even sold a few.

So, love the idea. Figure out with the artist how theft or damage will be handed. Because some people can't be around nice things.

I think it's great to have original art in the rooms, all my rooms have canvas prints of my photos of the area. I get a lot of great comments about this. I've even sold a few..
HJ - where do you get the prints made?

I think it's great to have original art in the rooms, all my rooms have canvas prints of my photos of the area. I get a lot of great comments about this. I've even sold a few..
Morticia said:
I get mine printed on canvas at Costco online. No need for a membership and it's shipped to you. High quality and great prices.

Morticia said:
I get mine printed on canvas at Costco online. No need for a membership and it's shipped to you. High quality and great prices.
Breakfast Diva said:
Morticia said:
Thanks!

So, love the idea. Figure out with the artist how theft or damage will be handed. Because some people can't be around nice things..
Morticia said:
So, love the idea. Figure out with the artist how theft or damage will be handed. Because some people can't be around nice things.
Famous last words ... but I never had a problem with any damage or theft of the art. Thank goodness. I guess if something had been taken, I'd file an insurance claim.
I heard two women talking once ... they'd taken 'art' off the walls in a motel. You know the kind ... prints in cheap frames. From their room and the hallway. Plus pillows and towels, sheets, a lamp, a coffee maker and carafe from the room. So ridiculous --- why not take the mattress, too? I wondered if they were paid a visit by the police department.

Morticia said:
Some by Vistaprint some from mypicture.co.uk
Not only do guests love to see some local, original photos but you can also have prints of a particular colour to match the rooms scheme.
So when I decorated my purple room this year I ordered a print of Loch ness for above the bed (I added the text to the photo saying "Loch Ness" using Photoshop elements), I also had a purple clematis photo from the garden which I used Photoshop filters to styalize for the prints each side.
DSCF6109_slimmed.jpg

Same when I did the green colour scheme in the breakfast room, had a print made of a photo of a Japanese maple in the garden.
DSCF6429%5B1%5D.jpg

All of our guest room art is by local artists...some for sale as detailed in our Welcome books. Never have had a problem. Sold about $12,000 worth over the years.

Morticia said:
Not only do guests love to see some local, original photos but you can also have prints of a particular colour to match the rooms scheme.
So when I decorated my purple room this year I ordered a print of Loch ness for above the bed (I added the text to the photo saying "Loch Ness" using Photoshop elements), I also had a purple clematis photo from the garden which I used Photoshop filters to styalize for the prints each side.
DSCF6109_slimmed.jpg

Same when I did the green colour scheme in the breakfast room, had a print made of a photo of a Japanese maple in the garden.
DSCF6429%5B1%5D.jpg

I do my own art for my rooms and its individually sewn for that room to go with the colour scheme ie we have done a Charles Rennie Mackintosh room (famous scottish designer of buildings and furniture) so have done this one in the style to go with
IMG_20160711_212709.jpg

Morticia said:
DSCF6109_slimmed.jpg

DSCF6429%5B1%5D.jpg

LOVELY HJ!

Morticia said:
DSCF6109_slimmed.jpg

DSCF6429%5B1%5D.jpg

Those look wonderful HJ!

Morticia said:
DSCF6109_slimmed.jpg

DSCF6429%5B1%5D.jpg

LOVELY HJ!
Thank you.

Back