Guest room coffee service

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronGate

Reaction score
How many of you provide coffee service in your guest rooms? Do you use small coffee makers or coffee presses? How do you supply the coffee? Does it worry you to put canisters in the room, since you have no idea what people might do sometimes? Any other thoughts or considerations?

3 of our rooms have coffee service in the room: 1) Senseo Coffee Maker - coffee, decaf coffee, and tea pods along with all the different colors of sweeteners & raw & refined sugar; mini moos in the in-room mini-fridge. 2) Carafe Coffee maker - I just started using some coffee in the coffee packs, no loose coffee grounds in there because people just had a problem with that pot! Same deal with the fixin's. That room has a wet bar area. 3) Regular coffee pot with a timer in our room that has a full kitchen. It's set up for folks that are here for awhile. Guest in there now is here for 11 days :)
I have had no problems but each of these rooms has the space to have a beverage area. The guests love it because these rooms are in our cottage & they can have their early coffee before coming over for breakfast.
I personally don't like having coffee makers in bathrooms as a guest.

I do not want any extra spillable liquid in my rooms. It is worrisome enough to have glasses and water in the faucets - coffee service with sugar to get spilled? Creamers (mini moos) spilling? No thanks! Space is also an issue but not the driving issue.

Ditto JBJ's comment...there's just no more room. Something to consider is how much space guests WANT to put their own things out. I have guests who bring framed photographs of their family with them.
What you would probably want is a pre-measured pouch so guests didn't overfill the coffee machine. Hotels have this. You can buy them by the boxful.
Another consideration for me is that if they have coffee in the room, they'll never come for breakfast! It's the coffee that lures them out...
I know I'm not supposed to decide for guests what they do and don't do while they are here, but...early morning coffee in the kitchen with hubs is a BIG part of the allure. It's one of the biggest comments we get here...the conversations over coffee. If guests had coffee in their rooms and only came at 9:30 to eat, they'd miss all of that. There are guests who just sit there and take it all in for a couple of days before they join in. But, that they ARE there each morning LOOKING for the conversation means it has meaning for them. (Sometimes they even ask, 'Where's that guy from yesterday, the one with the race car?')
We are perfectly ok if you take your coffee to your room to enjoy quietly, we don't care if you come out in your jammies, teeth unbrushed and hair standing on end to get the coffee, but you're missing a lot if you don't hang around.

Another consideration for me is that if they have coffee in the room, they'll never come for breakfast! It's the coffee that lures them out...
hey I resemble that remark!

Coffee times here are a lot of fun for the guests. Not everyone comes down early and they act upset that they missed it all. For some reason, I have no idea why, but the early bird coffee drinkers seem to be the life of the party. As if they rise early to greet the day and bring alot of humor and life with them. The later ones who stumble down to the table are not that fun. (MY OBSERVATION only)
There I go again, forced socialization. Okay 99% of guests here are great, so it is a neat part of the BB experience.

I don't have coffee service in the rooms or suites. I have a beverage bar that used to be a kitchen. I make coffee there in the mornings. Also have the hot pot of water and tea bags.
In the large 2 bedroom suite I have the hot pot for hot water and a very basic basket of tea bags and coffee bags if they want a late night drink and don't want to come down to the beverage center.

I did offer to take coffee and tea to the rooms but now I just have a central coffee area for people.

We have a coffee bar that is set up the night before. Early risers, "Push the Button." We have a small fridge under the bar for water, half and half and juice. There is a "one cup" maker there at all times for those who want tea, hot chocolate and a coffee single.
The only room that gets coffee is the Royal Room if the guest requests breakfast in that room.
Otherwise, welcome to the rest of the world. Some guests do take coffee back to their rooms or sit on the deck in the morning.

We put out coffee at 8am unless they want it eariler, and they are welcome to take a cup back to their rooms. We are wine country so have wine and soda in their wine fridge in their room with wine glasses.
If they wish a cuppa in the evening we have a tassimo which is super. I was going to put it out in the tasting room but it does make some noise so I'll have to wait until the rooms are changed when we build the other wing so that no bedroom will be near it.
I may put the Tassimo out in the dining room area during the colder weather.
Riki

The guests need to come get coffee. No service in the rooms. I am afraid of spilling too.

Coffee in the diningroom before breakfast or in the afternoon/evening if requested. We do request that they use "to-go" cups if taking coffee to their rooms... less spillage.

We have a coffee bar that is set up the night before. Early risers, "Push the Button." We have a small fridge under the bar for water, half and half and juice. There is a "one cup" maker there at all times for those who want tea, hot chocolate and a coffee single.
The only room that gets coffee is the Royal Room if the guest requests breakfast in that room.
Otherwise, welcome to the rest of the world. Some guests do take coffee back to their rooms or sit on the deck in the morning..
Inn at BV said:
Otherwise, welcome to the rest of the world. Some guests do take coffee back to their rooms or sit on the deck in the morning.
Looked at your website when your picture showed up under 'Featured Inn'...looks beautiful and it's a good hook: Imagine yourself here...

Otherwise, welcome to the rest of the world. Some guests do take coffee back to their rooms or sit on the deck in the morning..
Welcome!
welcome.gif

It's cool that you re-purposed a church for a B&B. I know right where you are...lived in Denver for 8 years. I'll tell my friends out there about you.

We also have a guest service area upstairs in our main house with a Tassimo machine & folks use that mostly at night. Early fresh ground & brewed coffee is on in the dining room for anyone.
With the separate house next door with additional rooms, having coffee in their rooms is a great amenity for guests. And it's there for them in the evening too. I have regular & decaf for them. Our guests have been most appreciative and no issues so far except when one person did not seat the carafe coffee maker properly. That coffee maker may go...it was an extra one that I had & didn't have to buy one. Our cottage suites are popular with people that want a little more privacy. You really have to figure out what kind of guests you'll get & what they're expecting. We have a pretty nice hotel nearby that is part of our competition.
We have to-go cups in the dining room & in those rooms with the regular size coffee makers. Guests do use them.
Lots of coffee drinkers out there :)

I would not provide it in room, we are not a hotel/motel. We had the Senseo machine out in the dining room and they could help themselves. Too much opportunity for mess in a guest room. We learned to keep our machine on a tray because of overflow by one guest:-(

Welcome!
welcome.gif

It's cool that you re-purposed a church for a B&B. I know right where you are...lived in Denver for 8 years. I'll tell my friends out there about you.
Oh I know where you are too. Passed it when we were in Denver a while ago.

I have a coffee maker in each room. I buy individually foil wrapped, premeasured, filter packet coffee so there's no mess with measuring. In addition to the coffee, I put hot chocolate packets, a selection of teas, and proper mugs and spoons in each room.
I'd say about half our guests make use of them; some in the evening, some in the morning. I've never had anyone spill a hot beverage in the rooms.
I suppy in room coffee etc partly because most of my rooms are in a separate building from the main house and dining room and I don't expect guests to have to come outside to get their morning fix.
Mostly, I do it because it's what I like when I travel. I want my coffee before I face the world.

During the week we have coffee available at 6:30 a.m. and put a carafe on the second floor near the guest refridgerator. The reason we do it is that so many guests have asked for it.
I agree that it cuts down the conversation at the breakfast table, though.

Back