Guest Room "Welcome" notebooks...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my current welcome letter, much of it borrowed from others, of course!
Thank you for selecting [our place] for you stay in [our town]! Our mission is to provide a unique, comfortable setting for your memories. Please take a few minutes to read through the sections of this guide, as they are designed to give you information to make your stay more enjoyable.
We have included a handy list of area restaurants and menus, as well as things to do here in downtown [our town], around our county, and around this part of America.
A Suggestion Card is included inside the cover of this binder, should you wish to make comments or suggestions in writing to help us improve our facility and service. You know the old saying: if you find something not to your liking, please tell us so we can make changes. If you find things you do like, please tell your friends!
Thank you again,
[my signature]
[me], Innkeeper

i had my own personal recommendations, of course i did. but not many. the beautiful books in the guest rooms, all carefully printed out in individual plastic sheeting (and requiring constant updating and changes, hence the loose leaf binders) were available. my area info in the guest rooms could not compare with what other guests had to say.
please don't think i just had grubby scribbly pages of notes. it was not like that at all. they seemed to take a lot of care in their writing. but my place was not fancy, it was in the middle of a fishing harbor and 'rustic' is a good word for it ... sadly, the lobstering operation across the road has since closed. i don't know if there's a new one there now. but, at the time, it was a huge part of what was happening complete with fishing boats in and out all the time, and all that implies.
in the downstairs hallway ... with the maps and menus, hours and specials as current as i could get them ... you'd be surprised at how the guests would study what other guests wrote. .... people sometimes loved to act like expert reviewers .. however, they wouldn't go online and review later on.
they also were in a loose leaf binder in case i had to pull something. but i never did.
how did i get them to write in the book? i'd bring it to them while they waited for me to cook breakfast or in the evening or i had it right there at checkout and i asked ... did you go out to eat yesterday? how was it? would you be willing to write a few words in the book for other guests?
this worked for me.

I'm currently in the process of creating my guestroom notebook. It's up around 45 pages now and I have a lot more do add, including the restaurants and menus.
On each "thing to do here" I'm including a brief description and photo of the destination, giving its phone number and physical address (for GPS users to find it) and including a Google map printout highlighting the best route from my place to the destination.
I'm sure some of these pages will be ripped out, the way people tear a whole page out of a business' phone book rather than jotting a number down on a napkin. So I'll have to put shingled tabs on each page so I can tell at a glance when one needs to be replaced.
In addition to what's mentioned above, give location of a nearby pharmacy and anything else you can think of to answer questions so guests don't have to come to you and ask. Some people, like me, DO read these things, and prefer to find the answer there rather than bothering the management with my questions..
"I'm currently in the process of creating my guestroom notebook. It's up around 45 pages now and I have a lot more do add, including the restaurants and menus."
Just remember my warning, stuff happens, things change, put a disclaimer at the bottom of each page (as well as the file name and date) since you will update it quite a bit when businesses close, change hours, change prices, etc. As soon as I get everything in place one item on the list is completely null and void. Sharpie pens all over it won't look great.
There is a new salon with spa in town - I was going to go in there, and thought, I will give them a month or so first. Opening in the winter, they might not make it. I was planning on getting a GC for a mani-pedi for someone, but can't chance they will still be in business.
BY THE WAY - I am sorry to side track, but I have to. One restaurant that has been here since we moved here and seems to be busy is a fast food fried chicken chain that begins with the letter "BOJ" or as they call it "BO TIME" in their ads. I went the other night and got a tail gate family pack, I cannot BELIEVE THE CRAP they call mashed potatoes. I mean wall paper paste IS A STEP UP! No wonder this is only the second time in 9 years I have eaten there! DISGUSTING FOOD. ALL OF IT. Not just the instant mash (mush). Pretty bad when teenagers won't even eat it!
I have never, in 8 years, set foot in the burger chain restaurant across the street from me. I've never even taken a picture of it and it's probably the second most photgraphed building in town.
For Ark- limit the info you give. Name of restaurant, address, phone. Once you get into hours and menus and all of that, it's way too much to keep track of. I have the menus in the living room. I point them out and say, 'prices have changed, chefs have changed, please use those merely as a guide to the style of the restaurant.'
Cannot get the restaurants to part with new menus. I would even put them in the old sleeves, just give me the printed page, not the whole leatherette folder!
Like the scenic drives idea. I had 2 big 3 ring binders in the living room with all of that stuff and no one ever looked at it.
Madeleine said:
Cannot get the restaurants to part with new menus. I would even put them in the old sleeves, just give me the printed page, not the whole leatherette folder!
OMG that is the way they are where I'm at! I could not believe it.

Yes, I had notebooks in the rooms with the following sections, all were in plastic sleeves. I left them on the bed and open to the first page which was the welcome letter.
  • Welcome Letter - included innkeepers's contact info (mobile phone number)
  • Room Info & Policies - Quick Info for the guests (breakfast, WiFi, housekeeping, amenities, safety), History of the inn & room (info about any room features like the steam showers), Policies, Property map & exits
  • Restaurant info - walking distance, close by, and farther afield
  • Entertainment - nightlife, museums/exhibits, historic sites, movies
  • Services/Local info - banking, transportation (taxis, airport shuttle, etc.), recreation, medical (pharmacies/closest hospital), places of worship
  • Shopping - walking distance and other
The pocket had the current copy of our State travel guide, our local CCVB guide (with city map), one of our rack cards, and the current local events pamphlet from the visitors center. Also, a copy of the magazine that did an article on our inn & the innkeeper. All of those the guests could take & keep.
Periodically, I'd update the restaurant list since that seemed to have the most changes and food always seems to be important to guests. I once stayed at a B&B and the restaurant info was over 4 years old.
Lots of info in a central location near the dining room with menus, lots of brochures, maps, guide books, etc..
Samster, this was very helpful. We have notebooks started with info in clear plastic sleeves, too...so I think we are heading in a good direction.
I have started and erased and started and erased a little "A Note From Your Innkeepers" letter (welcome letter) and at present have a blank slate again. I don't know if I am just tired or if I am simply embracing "stupid" ;) but either way I cannot seem to get this Greeting completed. I think I feel I need to say something clever heck, I don't know. But thanks for the confirmation that if I ever get past this block we are doing the right thing.
Thanks, Lady! I hope you find your voice for your letter.

Our welcome notebooks are three-ring binders with a welcome letter in the front cover pocket. They essentially contain our website information reformatted and in book form. This includes an expanded version of our policies spelling out those things that should be common sense, but apparently are not. We remind them of things like NOT removing makeup with our white washclothes, not smoking etc.
In addition, we have trail maps, pictures of the flora and fauna found on our property (along with any necessary warnings i.e., feral hogs and poison ivy). We also include maps and information about local attractions, a list of area churches and their worship time, and everything else we can stuff in there that we think will be of use to the guest.
We KNOW that they are read cover to cover because our guest quote from them at breakfast time.

I'm currently in the process of creating my guestroom notebook. It's up around 45 pages now and I have a lot more do add, including the restaurants and menus.
On each "thing to do here" I'm including a brief description and photo of the destination, giving its phone number and physical address (for GPS users to find it) and including a Google map printout highlighting the best route from my place to the destination.
I'm sure some of these pages will be ripped out, the way people tear a whole page out of a business' phone book rather than jotting a number down on a napkin. So I'll have to put shingled tabs on each page so I can tell at a glance when one needs to be replaced.
In addition to what's mentioned above, give location of a nearby pharmacy and anything else you can think of to answer questions so guests don't have to come to you and ask. Some people, like me, DO read these things, and prefer to find the answer there rather than bothering the management with my questions..
How much of this could you do with QR codes? Those with smart phones could scan the code, and get the gps directions (etc...) right on their phone.
Harborfields said:
How much of this could you do with QR codes? Those with smart phones could scan the code, and get the gps directions (etc...) right on their phone.
I think that's a great idea! By each map I'll put a QR code that will go to the URL of the map on their phone browser. That way they have the map without having to print a paper version.
Another possible use would be to put each map, plus description and photos of the place, in an PDF posted at my website, then the QR code would point to that PDF rather than to a URL of the map. It would give the same map, plus other info.
Arkansawyer said:
Harborfields said:
I think that's a great idea! By each map I'll put a QR code that will go to the URL of the map on their phone browser. That way they have the map without having to print a paper version.
I gotta say, this QR code thing is working great! With my iPhone I can scan the code on the page of my guestbook. Up comes the Google map on the phone, showing the route from my place to the destination and the phone's GPS puts a blue dot on my current location on the map. And it's an interactive map, and all you have to do is tap the Start button and it will give turn-by-turn directions as it takes you to the destination.
Just perfect! And FREE!

I have an amazing hiking list of nearby hikes in each room, for every guest, and they always ask me "Where can we go hiking?"
Here is a hike our guests did last week (it was not green like this yet of course). This is not far from us. it is a LONG hike, but not a strenuous hike. If people listen to me, yes really, they could do some really great stuff around here. A caller yesterday said "Other than the B&B, what else is there?"
310136_191235677628928_156828504402979_422297_1298142604_n.jpg

I'll stand out on that rock the same day I start picking up hitchhikers.

I'll stand out on that rock the same day I start picking up hitchhikers..
Arkansawyer said:
I'll stand out on that rock the same day I start picking up hitchhikers.
I guess they are not on your bucket list? aye Arks.
I have decided I will do this hike. I said as much. We hiked 3 miles today after I said I would do THAT hike on the way to today's - not very vertical - hike. Then I was reminded "If you are going to hike McAfee's Knob you better get used to this one" yeah never verbalize to your spouse a "sort of idea" you have and think aloud. It is on my list, but let me add "at my pace" not at a trekker's pace.
shades_smile.gif

Back