Guest Room "Welcome" notebooks...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While traveling this last Fall we found that some B&B's had WELCOME notebooks in the the guest rooms and some did not. Do you have them in your rooms? Do you like them? What do you have in your notebooks? Anyone willing to share a sample of their welcome letter in the notebook?
THX!

Welcome! Oh yes, we had guest notebooks in all of our rooms. It was handy for guests to have them. It had brochures from all the local attractions, maps, menus from local restaurants etc. Our welcome note was pretty generic, explained the house rules, fire safety and general enjoy your stay with us. Ask us if you have any questions.

Yes, we have an entire tome in our guest rooms:
  • Restaurants
  • Things to Do
  • History of the house, history of the room
  • Things they might need/want directions to like the pharmacy or a church or the library
  • Not so short list of everything we tried to tell them on check-in (breakfast time, check out time, location of guest fridge, etc) which is our welcome letter. Basically 'thanks for staying with us, here's all the stuff you won't remember later on tonight...' and then a single-spaced, double-sided list. Because they WILL want to know.
BTW, no one reads the book. Not sure why I even bother with more than the welcome page.

Are you new to the forum Littleoldlady? Sometimes introducing yourself can go a long way... :)
Both.
I find anyone who is near to a local will TAKE my information. DOH! Sometimes they like to use it as a coaster for cold drinks. Having recently redone all my room pages and actually thinking and maybe saying aloud "I do not know of any other inn who has this for their guests" I patted myself on the back. I also said "The guests probably don't notice and don't care."
This is going back to BOB who stated guests never commented on NOT HAVING ROBES there, as I remind myself, just because they don't comment doesn't mean they don't read it or use it to plan their stay/day.
See I am my worst critic as well. haha
I have stayed at inns who had no information on what to do in the area. I did not know what to do. I felt a bit cheated, I thought there should be some "self help" area at the inn or in the room, vs having to capture the busy innkeeper at breakfast and pick his brain. I am an infomaniac, and if you provide enough info I might even stay again to see and do more in the area.
wink_smile.gif

We don't have any notebooks in the rooms. No adverstisements or brochures in the room either. The rooms are a sanctuary to get away from that stuff. What we do have in the room is a small pop up that has the breakfast times, wifi password and innkeeper phone number. Each room has many different books to read on the area, a recent book on the history of the town and one magazine about 101 things to do in our area. The common room has all the extra brochures, maps, trail books, games, book on the history of the house, local restaurant menus etc.

I'm currently in the process of creating my guestroom notebook. It's up around 45 pages now and I have a lot more do add, including the restaurants and menus.
On each "thing to do here" I'm including a brief description and photo of the destination, giving its phone number and physical address (for GPS users to find it) and including a Google map printout highlighting the best route from my place to the destination.
I'm sure some of these pages will be ripped out, the way people tear a whole page out of a business' phone book rather than jotting a number down on a napkin. So I'll have to put shingled tabs on each page so I can tell at a glance when one needs to be replaced.
In addition to what's mentioned above, give location of a nearby pharmacy and anything else you can think of to answer questions so guests don't have to come to you and ask. Some people, like me, DO read these things, and prefer to find the answer there rather than bothering the management with my questions.

Yes, I had notebooks in the rooms with the following sections, all were in plastic sleeves. I left them on the bed and open to the first page which was the welcome letter.
  • Welcome Letter - included innkeepers's contact info (mobile phone number)
  • Room Info & Policies - Quick Info for the guests (breakfast, WiFi, housekeeping, amenities, safety), History of the inn & room (info about any room features like the steam showers), Policies, Property map & exits
  • Restaurant info - walking distance, close by, and farther afield
  • Entertainment - nightlife, museums/exhibits, historic sites, movies
  • Services/Local info - banking, transportation (taxis, airport shuttle, etc.), recreation, medical (pharmacies/closest hospital), places of worship
  • Shopping - walking distance and other
The pocket had the current copy of our State travel guide, our local CCVB guide (with city map), one of our rack cards, and the current local events pamphlet from the visitors center. Also, a copy of the magazine that did an article on our inn & the innkeeper. All of those the guests could take & keep.
Periodically, I'd update the restaurant list since that seemed to have the most changes and food always seems to be important to guests. I once stayed at a B&B and the restaurant info was over 4 years old.
Lots of info in a central location near the dining room with menus, lots of brochures, maps, guide books, etc.

Oh, yeah, and photos and descriptons of the other rooms in case guests were planning their next trip right then and there.

One more thing I'm adding in my book: I've picked 3 scenic drives here in the county, one of 30 minutes, one of 40, and one a 60 minute round trip. Each drive has its own page in the book, including info and photo of where the drive is going and a Google map showing the route to take from my place.
I'm also giving a map from my place to the city parks in case they want to picnic, and a map to the local sports complex (baseball, softball and soccer) in case they'd like to take in a game.

I'm currently in the process of creating my guestroom notebook. It's up around 45 pages now and I have a lot more do add, including the restaurants and menus.
On each "thing to do here" I'm including a brief description and photo of the destination, giving its phone number and physical address (for GPS users to find it) and including a Google map printout highlighting the best route from my place to the destination.
I'm sure some of these pages will be ripped out, the way people tear a whole page out of a business' phone book rather than jotting a number down on a napkin. So I'll have to put shingled tabs on each page so I can tell at a glance when one needs to be replaced.
In addition to what's mentioned above, give location of a nearby pharmacy and anything else you can think of to answer questions so guests don't have to come to you and ask. Some people, like me, DO read these things, and prefer to find the answer there rather than bothering the management with my questions..
How much of this could you do with QR codes? Those with smart phones could scan the code, and get the gps directions (etc...) right on their phone.

We have a welcome letter which is out on the dressing table which does a quick sum up. We have a guest info folder in the top drawer with sightseeing, restaurants, info about us, emergency phone numbers ie 999 for an ambulance etc, Bit of stationary ie post card, headed paper and envelope ie so they can send them out to people at home in a plastic wallet in the back and the history of our town.
What I thought you meant was what some people have which is a sort of guests comment journal in each room. We have one in our common lounge but only get a comment now and again. I worry about drunks writing something rude and then you are kind of stuck with it.

One more thing I'm adding in my book: I've picked 3 scenic drives here in the county, one of 30 minutes, one of 40, and one a 60 minute round trip. Each drive has its own page in the book, including info and photo of where the drive is going and a Google map showing the route to take from my place.
I'm also giving a map from my place to the city parks in case they want to picnic, and a map to the local sports complex (baseball, softball and soccer) in case they'd like to take in a game..
Arkansawyer said:
I'm also giving a map from my place to the city parks in case they want to picnic, and a map to the local sports complex (baseball, softball and soccer) in case they'd like to take in a game.
Ark, have you thought of providing extra copies of the maps? Such as in the event your guests don't have internet/google on their phones, or more importantly if the routes are in dicey service areas.

In addition to what's mentioned above, give location of a nearby pharmacy and anything else you can think of to answer questions so guests don't have to come to you and ask. Some people, like me, DO read these things, and prefer to find the answer there rather than bothering the management with my questions..
"I'm currently in the process of creating my guestroom notebook. It's up around 45 pages now and I have a lot more do add, including the restaurants and menus."
Just remember my warning, stuff happens, things change, put a disclaimer at the bottom of each page (as well as the file name and date) since you will update it quite a bit when businesses close, change hours, change prices, etc. As soon as I get everything in place one item on the list is completely null and void. Sharpie pens all over it won't look great.
There is a new salon with spa in town - I was going to go in there, and thought, I will give them a month or so first. Opening in the winter, they might not make it. I was planning on getting a GC for a mani-pedi for someone, but can't chance they will still be in business.
BY THE WAY - I am sorry to side track, but I have to. One restaurant that has been here since we moved here and seems to be busy is a fast food fried chicken chain that begins with the letter "BOJ" or as they call it "BO TIME" in their ads. I went the other night and got a tail gate family pack, I cannot BELIEVE THE CRAP they call mashed potatoes. I mean wall paper paste IS A STEP UP! No wonder this is only the second time in 9 years I have eaten there! DISGUSTING FOOD. ALL OF IT. Not just the instant mash (mush). Pretty bad when teenagers won't even eat it!

"I'm currently in the process of creating my guestroom notebook. It's up around 45 pages now and I have a lot more do add, including the restaurants and menus."
Just remember my warning, stuff happens, things change, put a disclaimer at the bottom of each page (as well as the file name and date) since you will update it quite a bit when businesses close, change hours, change prices, etc. As soon as I get everything in place one item on the list is completely null and void. Sharpie pens all over it won't look great.
There is a new salon with spa in town - I was going to go in there, and thought, I will give them a month or so first. Opening in the winter, they might not make it. I was planning on getting a GC for a mani-pedi for someone, but can't chance they will still be in business.
BY THE WAY - I am sorry to side track, but I have to. One restaurant that has been here since we moved here and seems to be busy is a fast food fried chicken chain that begins with the letter "BOJ" or as they call it "BO TIME" in their ads. I went the other night and got a tail gate family pack, I cannot BELIEVE THE CRAP they call mashed potatoes. I mean wall paper paste IS A STEP UP! No wonder this is only the second time in 9 years I have eaten there! DISGUSTING FOOD. ALL OF IT. Not just the instant mash (mush). Pretty bad when teenagers won't even eat it!
I have never, in 8 years, set foot in the burger chain restaurant across the street from me. I've never even taken a picture of it and it's probably the second most photgraphed building in town.
For Ark- limit the info you give. Name of restaurant, address, phone. Once you get into hours and menus and all of that, it's way too much to keep track of. I have the menus in the living room. I point them out and say, 'prices have changed, chefs have changed, please use those merely as a guide to the style of the restaurant.'
Cannot get the restaurants to part with new menus. I would even put them in the old sleeves, just give me the printed page, not the whole leatherette folder!
Like the scenic drives idea. I had 2 big 3 ring binders in the living room with all of that stuff and no one ever looked at it.

I have never, in 8 years, set foot in the burger chain restaurant across the street from me. I've never even taken a picture of it and it's probably the second most photgraphed building in town.
For Ark- limit the info you give. Name of restaurant, address, phone. Once you get into hours and menus and all of that, it's way too much to keep track of. I have the menus in the living room. I point them out and say, 'prices have changed, chefs have changed, please use those merely as a guide to the style of the restaurant.'
Cannot get the restaurants to part with new menus. I would even put them in the old sleeves, just give me the printed page, not the whole leatherette folder!
Like the scenic drives idea. I had 2 big 3 ring binders in the living room with all of that stuff and no one ever looked at it.
Now our chain which is the same as yours, is locally owned and gives back so much to our community. He even buys all the beef for the burgers locally. But as I had mentioned, highest grossing "this chain" in 4 states.
Next door to that is the "King" and never even has one car in the drive thru. We went there twice, first they had no fries. "Sorry, no fries" second time it was a drive thru breakfast muffin sandwich, they didn't even toast the eng muffin and we nearly choked on it. So that was enough. Twice.
Now our new locally owned and operated BBQ place! HOO RAH! I was so excited! I went in and sat down and asked what was homemade, which sides? The waitress told me "NONE." They had a large selection of burgers - those have to be pretyt good, then right? They are from frozen patties, she said. I GIVE UP. SYSCO you win....
PS This really does have to do with the welcome books in the rooms, what do you put in there? Every restaurant or only those you recommend? Those who food poison your guests?
I added another "seafood restaurant" and wrote, and I quote on the restaurant list: "It is like a full service restaurant version of Long John Silvers" and people ask me every time, Is it good? Me, "Do you like Long John Silvers?" If you do, then it is good. If you like real food, then it stinks. (Shh! This is why I am anon on this forum so I can say these things!)

Now our chain which is the same as yours, is locally owned and gives back so much to our community. He even buys all the beef for the burgers locally. But as I had mentioned, highest grossing "this chain" in 4 states.
Next door to that is the "King" and never even has one car in the drive thru. We went there twice, first they had no fries. "Sorry, no fries" second time it was a drive thru breakfast muffin sandwich, they didn't even toast the eng muffin and we nearly choked on it. So that was enough. Twice.
Now our new locally owned and operated BBQ place! HOO RAH! I was so excited! I went in and sat down and asked what was homemade, which sides? The waitress told me "NONE." They had a large selection of burgers - those have to be pretyt good, then right? They are from frozen patties, she said. I GIVE UP. SYSCO you win....
PS This really does have to do with the welcome books in the rooms, what do you put in there? Every restaurant or only those you recommend? Those who food poison your guests?
I added another "seafood restaurant" and wrote, and I quote on the restaurant list: "It is like a full service restaurant version of Long John Silvers" and people ask me every time, Is it good? Me, "Do you like Long John Silvers?" If you do, then it is good. If you like real food, then it stinks. (Shh! This is why I am anon on this forum so I can say these things!)
We have a great bbq place a couple of towns over from me. The guy and his wife have a big smoker out back, make their own bbq sauce, their coleslaw- ah, I could just dive in the container and eat my way out of it. They do three things: bbq'd or smoked chicken, beef, or pork. Friday nights, they offer smoked ribs. Standing room only. If you call your order in, you can pick it up faster than if you go in and sit down to eat. FANTASTIC place. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

Yes, keeping up with restaurants is hard. Most here are in business about 8 months then close, followed by new owners reopening it a few months later under a new name. I maintain an online map of where our town's eating places are, and I have to update it about once a month. It's a pain.
I'll probably limit my guest book listing to the few that have been here a long time and are worth recommending.

I'm also giving a map from my place to the city parks in case they want to picnic, and a map to the local sports complex (baseball, softball and soccer) in case they'd like to take in a game..
Arkansawyer said:
Ark, have you thought of providing extra copies of the maps? Such as in the event your guests don't have internet/google on their phones, or more importantly if the routes are in dicey service areas.
Weaver said:
I have some old computers that still work, they're just slow. I'm planning to have one available, and a printer, so guests can print off any pages of the guest book from the computer. But I don't what them to waste paper and ink by printing the whole book, so I'll probably put each page in a separate document so they'll just print the pages they really need. It would be a lot of work to print out the whole thing one page at a time. We'll see how it works out.

How much of this could you do with QR codes? Those with smart phones could scan the code, and get the gps directions (etc...) right on their phone.
Harborfields said:
I think that's a great idea! By each map I'll put a QR code that will go to the URL of the map on their phone browser. That way they have the map without having to print a paper version.
Another possible use would be to put each map, plus description and photos of the place, in an PDF posted at my website, then the QR code would point to that PDF rather than to a URL of the map. It would give the same map, plus other info.

We have a great bbq place a couple of towns over from me. The guy and his wife have a big smoker out back, make their own bbq sauce, their coleslaw- ah, I could just dive in the container and eat my way out of it. They do three things: bbq'd or smoked chicken, beef, or pork. Friday nights, they offer smoked ribs. Standing room only. If you call your order in, you can pick it up faster than if you go in and sit down to eat. FANTASTIC place. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!
Penelope said:
Yeah but see that is just it P. A couple towns over. You can't put that in the guest welcome or restaurant list. Not feasibly.
But like YOU, we will drive to get those RIBS! AMEN TO THAT! We too have one who wins the Cook off on Food Network or Food Channel, and I have blogged them, and actually do have a footnote that says "Worth the drive" but our one nighters who arrive after driving all day don't want to drive some more... SHAME! Shame on those in THIS town who bite the big one.
It is what it is. a small town. I have to live with it, and rcommend the drive. You know there is a place right next door that serves dinner thurs and fri nights, country cooking, we have had guests who simply loved it, then the same night another two guests told us how awful it was. Two couples traveling together - I always feel they are harder on EVERYONE. The firts couple went back the next time they were here for more. And THEY DO make homemade berry cobbler (I know, it isn't rocket science - but rare to get home cooked food these days!)
I will make a note when you pass through our neck of the woods to take you to our bbq place down the road (35 miles) just let me know...

Back