Guest says they now have bedbugs - WHAT???

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW, have they said anything other than they have bb? They want something? Anything like that? Or were they just being nice and telling you they think you have a problem?
Hard to tell in an email.
Are they asking for a response back from you?.
No, asked for nothing. Here is her e-mail.
[COLOR= black]Hi Kathleen: We have a rather unwelcome Christmas present ... bed bugs. We definitely didn't have them in Canada and stayed in 2 places on the drive down. The timing of the bites beginning works for having picked them up enroute. I am sending an email also to the other inn. So, I want to give you a heads up as you should probably check and treat that room and inform anyone who stayed there before us. Sorry to be the bearer of this news and otherwise I hope you have a happy holiday. Alison[/COLOR]
[COLOR= black]I e-mailed thanking for the heads-up and that I would check everything. I have replied back that I not only checked but had some photos sent to me showing what I was looking for and since I have a white mattress and white mattress pad, it should have shown up if we had them. I told her I found noting, not even much lint. I asked if they had purchased any new linens as I had been told the critters sometimes come in that way. I am not going to worry about it. I cannot prove a negative via e-mail. The ball is in their court. I certainly am not going to suggest they got them from another inn either. Such is life in the big city.[/COLOR]
Re-reading her e-mail, it is as if she really does believe they got them here referring to anyone who stayed here before they did. As if I have not had any guests since they were here? I guess I will be VERY surprised if they come back in the Spring. I know this, I have wasted as much time and energy as I am going to on this.
I am really surprised they are writing now and not weeks ago, unless they had no access to any kind of email until they got home Given they were itching and saw the bites that would have happened immediately, not 3-4 weeks later.
Sorry you are dealing with this.
Thank you both. The photo JB posted helped a LOT. This was the same guest who discovered the coffee splatter on the wall behind a nightstand that I really did not see. I thanked her for telling me about it and did get it wiped of immediately that day. I am not going to waste another moment on this. I am going to make that bed up tomorrow - the next guests chose cotton so now I know what to put on it. I have a microfiber coming in to Rosi's in January so will go ahead with that one too. It will give me a break from DH.
You have searched and your place is clean. Don't worry about it. If they bother you about it again, just say thanks but my place checks out clean. You could have picked them up anywhere. Or just don't bother with them.

BTW, have they said anything other than they have bb? They want something? Anything like that? Or were they just being nice and telling you they think you have a problem?
Hard to tell in an email.
Are they asking for a response back from you?.
No, asked for nothing. Here is her e-mail.
[COLOR= black]Hi Kathleen: We have a rather unwelcome Christmas present ... bed bugs. We definitely didn't have them in Canada and stayed in 2 places on the drive down. The timing of the bites beginning works for having picked them up enroute. I am sending an email also to the other inn. So, I want to give you a heads up as you should probably check and treat that room and inform anyone who stayed there before us. Sorry to be the bearer of this news and otherwise I hope you have a happy holiday. Alison[/COLOR]
[COLOR= black]I e-mailed thanking for the heads-up and that I would check everything. I have replied back that I not only checked but had some photos sent to me showing what I was looking for and since I have a white mattress and white mattress pad, it should have shown up if we had them. I told her I found noting, not even much lint. I asked if they had purchased any new linens as I had been told the critters sometimes come in that way. I am not going to worry about it. I cannot prove a negative via e-mail. The ball is in their court. I certainly am not going to suggest they got them from another inn either. Such is life in the big city.[/COLOR]
Re-reading her e-mail, it is as if she really does believe they got them here referring to anyone who stayed here before they did. As if I have not had any guests since they were here? I guess I will be VERY surprised if they come back in the Spring. I know this, I have wasted as much time and energy as I am going to on this.
Oh yeah notify all your previous guests. Balderdash. She couldn't possibly have gotten them in Canada, is there a incubation period or something? I am sorry, it made me mad on your behalf. I would be tempted to ask her "How are YOU eradicating them?"
poke.gif

Dh said he would have replied back and asked them to be sure they have gotten rid of them before returning next year. Then he thought better of that and said he wouldn't take them as they have openly stated they have bb.
When it comes down to it, they need me more than I need them. They have 3 horses so their rig is big. I have a good stable with turn-around so spacious that anyone who could not turn around there should not be driving. They do not like to drop the trailer since the dogs are in it and it is convenient with the rail-trail being 50 feet away to walk the dogs night and morning. they know I do not take a reservation with horses unless the wife of the stable owner gives her OK. I guess this Spring (your DH has a VERY GOOD point) the farm cannot accomodate them - IF they even call. They are 2 room nights a year - big whoop. The stable gets almost as much as I do since they have 3 horses.

I recently heard a discussion on NPR on bbs. They suggested taking all the soft bedding and furnishings and running through the dryer on the hottest setting. This would be a precaution for you since you have NO real evidence that the problem belongs to you. So sorry that they are putting you through this. I would never have them back.

I recently heard a discussion on NPR on bbs. They suggested taking all the soft bedding and furnishings and running through the dryer on the hottest setting. This would be a precaution for you since you have NO real evidence that the problem belongs to you. So sorry that they are putting you through this. I would never have them back..
Madeline's DH said the same thing. I have decided it is not worth the chance that they could bring anything with them - as nice as they are - for 2 nights out of an entire year, it is not worth the risk. The stable will be unable to accommodate them will be my answer.

I recently heard a discussion on NPR on bbs. They suggested taking all the soft bedding and furnishings and running through the dryer on the hottest setting. This would be a precaution for you since you have NO real evidence that the problem belongs to you. So sorry that they are putting you through this. I would never have them back..
120 degree temp will kill them. So a good washing of linens is a good thing.

Mattress will not fit in the dryer.

bed bug encasements are used to not only keep them out of your mattress, but if you could block them inside.
A while ago I listed a wholesale source for bb mattress encasements in the resource section (linens). Set up an account with them and save about 50%.

I said linens :) You don't have them so forget about the mattress.

I said linens :) You don't have them so forget about the mattress.
I was just being a SmartA

bed bug encasements are used to not only keep them out of your mattress, but if you could block them inside.
A while ago I listed a wholesale source for bb mattress encasements in the resource section (linens). Set up an account with them and save about 50%.
Thanks. Will check it out.

gillumhouse said:
For the mattress, you should put an enclosure on it. There are a few that work and many that don't. They need to be woven to 3 microns or less and have a cover over the zipper. It also needs to enclose the entire mattress. If you do have BB, they stay in. If you don't, they can't get in.

maybe the bites are from chiggers or fleas and not bed bugs at all ... Just a thought

maybe the bites are from chiggers or fleas and not bed bugs at all ... Just a thought.
Good point. Do horses get fleas? (they're horse people)
I do not know about fleas, but horse fly bites are as bad as a mosquito bite. itch like heck. And I do doubt Canadians are familiar with chiggers - although this is not their first year in Florida for the winter. Last year they bought their own place instead of renting this year.

maybe the bites are from chiggers or fleas and not bed bugs at all ... Just a thought.
I do not know about fleas, but horse fly bites are as bad as a mosquito bite. itch like heck. And I do doubt Canadians are familiar with chiggers - although this is not their first year in Florida for the winter. Last year they bought their own place instead of renting this year.
I was assuming they had taken a sample of the bugs somewhere or had someone come in to verify they had bb. Not that they had a few bites and immediately cried bb!
If you hear from them find out why they think they have bb. Instead of fleas, ticks, chiggers, etc.

I was assuming they had taken a sample of the bugs somewhere or had someone come in to verify they had bb. Not that they had a few bites and immediately cried bb!
If you hear from them find out why they think they have bb. Instead of fleas, ticks, chiggers, etc.
I am sincerely hoping to NOT hear from them again.

Just got another e-mail from them. Gee, I guess they never considered another answer......
Such a pain. We have found not a thing also except for being bitten. However, there may be another culprit. Sand ticks. Apparently they are bad this year and we are close to a heavily wooded area. I found two of them after being outside and they are teeny tiny, smaller than the head of a pin. Right now it is the only thing that makes sense. I will continue looking but the ticks are not a problem except for being itchy and don't transfer to beds, etc. Keep your fingers crossed. If you don't hear from me I think we had a false alarm. Happy Holidays and I am sorry for the alert but I couldn't rest without informing you of the possibility. Alison

seashanty said:
maybe the bites are from chiggers or fleas and not bed bugs at all ... Just a thought
seashanty wins the prize! It was not bbs after all! All this huge ado, spread worldwide, and all K's angst and investigation over a false alarm.
I suspect she's not happy with these folks.

Just got another e-mail from them. Gee, I guess they never considered another answer......
Such a pain. We have found not a thing also except for being bitten. However, there may be another culprit. Sand ticks. Apparently they are bad this year and we are close to a heavily wooded area. I found two of them after being outside and they are teeny tiny, smaller than the head of a pin. Right now it is the only thing that makes sense. I will continue looking but the ticks are not a problem except for being itchy and don't transfer to beds, etc. Keep your fingers crossed. If you don't hear from me I think we had a false alarm. Happy Holidays and I am sorry for the alert but I couldn't rest without informing you of the possibility. Alison.
OMG..what can you say!!!! Send her packing for sure. Who needs someone like this staying with you and causing such a fuss. Tell her "I TOLD YOU SO!!!"
smileystooges.gif

Such a pain. We have found not a thing also except for being bitten. However, there may be another culprit. Sand ticks. Apparently they are bad this year and we are close to a heavily wooded area. I found two of them after being outside and they are teeny tiny, smaller than the head of a pin. Right now it is the only thing that makes sense. I will continue looking but the ticks are not a problem except for being itchy and don't transfer to beds, etc. Keep your fingers crossed. If you don't hear from me I think we had a false alarm. Happy Holidays and I am sorry for the alert but I couldn't rest without informing you of the possibility. Alison.
OMG..what can you say!!!! Send her packing for sure. Who needs someone like this staying with you and causing such a fuss. Tell her "I TOLD YOU SO!!!"
smileystooges.gif

I wonder what the OTHER inn replied to her - if she did indeed write to the other inn. Oh well. The cure for stupidity is not something I can offer legally.

Back