Guest says they now have bedbugs - WHAT???

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
I just got an e-mail from a guest who was here just before Thanksgiving. She said they did not have bedbugs in Canada and stayed 2 places on the way to Florida. They now have bedbugs.
I have a white pillowtop mattress with a white mattress pad. I just went up and took the pad off at the head of the bed (where head & shoulders would be), lifted the pillowtop part, and see no black spots, no red spots, nothing jumping around. What else should i do to check for them?
As if that is not enough for one day, DH has put himself back into a wheelchair with foot problems. Just what I need on top of all else right now - at the beck & call. Sorry folks, it just gets old to listen to the grumbling of someone insisting on sucking the lemon instead of making lemonade from the situation. And he is bound and determined to live forever........ as he grumbles about his failings. There is no suck it up here.
Sorry for the diatribe. It helped to vent. Now back to the important thing - How do I make sure if they got them, it was not from here. (Of course it could not have been from their place in Florida - it HAD to be while they traveled - either here or their other stop-over.

Sorry about the other one-will pray for you.
About the bed bugs: Hopefully they got them AFTER they left the Inn, if not you may not really "see" them for a month or two.
We had a guest say that as well from here THREE days after she left, time matters cause you can pick them up ANYWERE. I know for a fact that we did not have them, she claimed a rash three days after she left...

How do I know if they are here? Will I "see" them on the mattress? Mattress pad? pillows? What signs do I look for? I am certain they did NOT get them from here - but how do I know for sure?

How do I know if they are here? Will I "see" them on the mattress? Mattress pad? pillows? What signs do I look for? I am certain they did NOT get them from here - but how do I know for sure?.
Any bed bug detection dogs in your area? that would be sure proof if they check and give you the ok.
[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Finding [/COLOR]bed bugs[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)] in your home has nothing to do with poor hygiene! It takes only one bed bug to hitch a ride on your clothing (furniture, suitcase, etc) and infest your residence. What's worse is that they can live up to one year without drinking a drop of your blood. Feeding takes about 10 to 15 minutes for adults and less for the nymphs; they feed about every three days. Depending on the conditions, bed bug nymphs can survive for months without feeding.[/COLOR]
Check this site: http://www.badbedbugs.com/

If they picked them up at your place you would have seen signs when they checked out. And certainly before they checked in. If they LEFT them behind, you may need to wait until the next guest shows up, the bugs hibernate between meals. You could sleep in the bed to see what happens.
Did they have a rental car? Travel at any point on planes? Stay at any other accommodations? Go to the movies?
You can explain that if they had picked up any bugs at your place they would have known immediately, not 3 weeks later. And, yes, there are bb in Canada.
You'll see 'dirt' on the mattress/pad/sheets if you have bb.
Not sure what to tell the guest. But if they are saying they have them NOW, after 3 weeks of traveling, my guess is they are trying this out on every place they stayed to see what sticks.

If you have had other guests since then with no complaints, it's likely they got them AFTER you. Basically, look at the piping around the mattress, that would likely be where you would see them.
An expert can test for you, but call them back and tell them that you checked and it's all clean. You are sorry that they got them, but they must have picked them up after you.

K, reality is that they may not have gotten them at any of their stops. They could also have gotten them from a store when purchasing clothing or bedding. Keep a watchful eye but don't become burdoned with this thought, most likely they did not come from your place.

Sorry to hear of both these accounts.
First question - did they get BIT at your place? I mean that is what people complain about, the bites, not bringing them home. Their luggage has been in FLORIDA. World travelers galore there, hotels have a serious problem with them.
Take a photo of the mattress around the head board area, if you do not see dark spots or stains (fecal from the BB) then you won't have them, that is the primary area, sure they can be in the carpet and drapes, but they will be where dinner is found.
My advice, do not call the health dept unless absolulety necessary for an inspection.

If they picked them up at your place you would have seen signs when they checked out. And certainly before they checked in. If they LEFT them behind, you may need to wait until the next guest shows up, the bugs hibernate between meals. You could sleep in the bed to see what happens.
Did they have a rental car? Travel at any point on planes? Stay at any other accommodations? Go to the movies?
You can explain that if they had picked up any bugs at your place they would have known immediately, not 3 weeks later. And, yes, there are bb in Canada.
You'll see 'dirt' on the mattress/pad/sheets if you have bb.
Not sure what to tell the guest. But if they are saying they have them NOW, after 3 weeks of traveling, my guess is they are trying this out on every place they stayed to see what sticks..
They were traveling with their horses - truck, trailer, and dogs that always stay in the horse trailer when here. I have had guests since they were here - once of them was a 2-nighter so I would have expected them to complain after the 2nd night. These guests were for 1 night here, one night at another stable, and then they would be at their Florida home. Not a lot of hotel travel.
There is nothing anywhere - I did not think there would be. I know it has nothing to do with my cleaning. It is like fleas - walk through the grass and you have them. BB come from lots of places. I have not responded to her yet other than to say I would be checking BIG TIME. I just do not know what else to tell her other than I looked extensively and found no evidence of them. And will she believe me? Like if I did have them, would I admit it. I will know this Spring when they either book their return trip or I do not hear from the again. Sigh....................

2849030847_2f72356ccb.jpg

[COLOR= rgb(17, 17, 17)]Photo credit for all three photos goes to David James of [/COLOR]Packtite.

They may not have noticed any bites if they are in the large % of people who have no reaction to the bites. But, had they been bitten at your place you would have seen evidence.
Did they say anything else? They found them in their luggage? They are in their house?
They could certainly have gotten them from the stabling. The dogs could have picked them up. Assuming the dogs come in the house when they get home, the dogs could have left them all over the place.

2849030847_2f72356ccb.jpg

[COLOR= rgb(17, 17, 17)]Photo credit for all three photos goes to David James of [/COLOR]Packtite..
Nothing on the mattress or the mattress pad.
gillumhouse said:
Nothing on the mattress or the mattress pad.
Well, by now you would have thousands of them had they been there at Thanksgiving. So, try sleeping in that room. Keep a flashlight with you. What the bb go for is the CO2 from your respiration.

BTW, have they said anything other than they have bb? They want something? Anything like that? Or were they just being nice and telling you they think you have a problem?
Hard to tell in an email.
Are they asking for a response back from you?

BTW, have they said anything other than they have bb? They want something? Anything like that? Or were they just being nice and telling you they think you have a problem?
Are they asking for a response back from you?.
No, asked for nothing. Here is her e-mail.
[COLOR= black]Hi Kathleen: We have a rather unwelcome Christmas present ... bed bugs. We definitely didn't have them in Canada and stayed in 2 places on the drive down. The timing of the bites beginning works for having picked them up enroute. I am sending an email also to the other inn. So, I want to give you a heads up as you should probably check and treat that room and inform anyone who stayed there before us. Sorry to be the bearer of this news and otherwise I hope you have a happy holiday. Alison[/COLOR]
[COLOR= black]I e-mailed thanking for the heads-up and that I would check everything. I have replied back that I not only checked but had some photos sent to me showing what I was looking for and since I have a white mattress and white mattress pad, it should have shown up if we had them. I told her I found noting, not even much lint. I asked if they had purchased any new linens as I had been told the critters sometimes come in that way. I am not going to worry about it. I cannot prove a negative via e-mail. The ball is in their court. I certainly am not going to suggest they got them from another inn either. Such is life in the big city.[/COLOR]
Re-reading her e-mail, it is as if she really does believe they got them here referring to anyone who stayed here before they did. As if I have not had any guests since they were here? I guess I will be VERY surprised if they come back in the Spring. I know this, I have wasted as much time and energy as I am going to on this.

[COLOR= black]Hi Kathleen: We have a rather unwelcome Christmas present ... bed bugs. We definitely didn't have them in Canada and stayed in 2 places on the drive down. The timing of the bites beginning works for having picked them up enroute. I am sending an email also to the other inn. So, I want to give you a heads up as you should probably check and treat that room and inform anyone who stayed there before us. Sorry to be the bearer of this news and otherwise I hope you have a happy holiday. Alison[/COLOR]
[COLOR= black]I e-mailed thanking for the heads-up and that I would check everything. I have replied back that I not only checked but had some photos sent to me showing what I was looking for and since I have a white mattress and white mattress pad, it should have shown up if we had them. I told her I found noting, not even much lint. I asked if they had purchased any new linens as I had been told the critters sometimes come in that way. I am not going to worry about it. I cannot prove a negative via e-mail. The ball is in their court. I certainly am not going to suggest they got them from another inn either. Such is life in the big city.[/COLOR]
Re-reading her e-mail, it is as if she really does believe they got them here referring to anyone who stayed here before they did. As if I have not had any guests since they were here? I guess I will be VERY surprised if they come back in the Spring. I know this, I have wasted as much time and energy as I am going to on this.
I am really surprised they are writing now and not weeks ago, unless they had no access to any kind of email until they got home Given they were itching and saw the bites that would have happened immediately, not 3-4 weeks later.
Sorry you are dealing with this.

Oh yeah notify all your previous guests. Balderdash. She couldn't possibly have gotten them in Canada, is there a incubation period or something? I am sorry, it made me mad on your behalf. I would be tempted to ask her "How are YOU eradicating them?"
poke.gif

I am really surprised they are writing now and not weeks ago, unless they had no access to any kind of email until they got home Given they were itching and saw the bites that would have happened immediately, not 3-4 weeks later.
Sorry you are dealing with this.
Thank you both. The photo JB posted helped a LOT. This was the same guest who discovered the coffee splatter on the wall behind a nightstand that I really did not see. I thanked her for telling me about it and did get it wiped of immediately that day. I am not going to waste another moment on this. I am going to make that bed up tomorrow - the next guests chose cotton so now I know what to put on it. I have a microfiber coming in to Rosi's in January so will go ahead with that one too. It will give me a break from DH.

Oh yeah notify all your previous guests. Balderdash. She couldn't possibly have gotten them in Canada, is there a incubation period or something? I am sorry, it made me mad on your behalf. I would be tempted to ask her "How are YOU eradicating them?"
poke.gif

Dh said he would have replied back and asked them to be sure they have gotten rid of them before returning next year. Then he thought better of that and said he wouldn't take them as they have openly stated they have bb.

bedbugs.com for ideas. I heard of running a blow dryer along matress edges in case ... Might be a help or waste of time, I don't know. Sorry

Back