Guest says...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
"we don't need anything in the room, thanks!"
From the outside of the building, you see: their window is open and the A/C is running.
Do you:
A) Abide by their 'we don't need anything';
B) Close window & turn off A/C;
C) Close window, leave A/C on;
D) Leave window open, turn off A/C
E) Bang head on wall and wonder why someone from AZ would need this explained to them?
Multiple answers accepted. ;-)

Doing nothing would not be an option with me. I'd go with C.

c) and e)
We have gas-log fireplaces in our suites and guests love to crank the air and then turn on the fireplaces.

Is the room too cold for them? Do they understand how to control the a/c? Are they blowing smoke out the window? Who knows?
I'd close the window, leave on a/c, or leave window open, turn off a/c AND leave card of minimal instructions for operation of a/c with maximum efficiency and to save energy ... close window when in use ... blah blah blah. I don't know why people do this. I had only a few a/c's and had instructions at the a/c, at the thermostat and on the windows! Yes, I did.
Had a few guests who used all three ... heat, a/c and open window. When they checked out discovered ... Heat set to 68, a/c set to 62, window open.
angry_smile.gif

I've returned to hotel rooms to find that housekeeping has changed the settings on a/c so it's not unheard of for staff to adjust.

c) and e)
We have gas-log fireplaces in our suites and guests love to crank the air and then turn on the fireplaces..
PhineasSwann said:
c) and e)
We have gas-log fireplaces in our suites and guests love to crank the air and then turn on the fireplaces.
We turn the gas off in the summer. Just the pilot light heats the room too much. And that would really frost me - A/C & fireplace on, windows open.

Is the room too cold for them? Do they understand how to control the a/c? Are they blowing smoke out the window? Who knows?
I'd close the window, leave on a/c, or leave window open, turn off a/c AND leave card of minimal instructions for operation of a/c with maximum efficiency and to save energy ... close window when in use ... blah blah blah. I don't know why people do this. I had only a few a/c's and had instructions at the a/c, at the thermostat and on the windows! Yes, I did.
Had a few guests who used all three ... heat, a/c and open window. When they checked out discovered ... Heat set to 68, a/c set to 62, window open.
angry_smile.gif

I've returned to hotel rooms to find that housekeeping has changed the settings on a/c so it's not unheard of for staff to adjust..
We'd rather have a relay on the window that shuts off the A/C and the heat when someone opens the window and either of those are on. (Rather than instructions no one reads or listens to. Because we do say to close the windows if the A/C or heat is on.)
What I did - shut off the A/C, didn't touch the window or anything else. Towels all over the bathroom floor, lights on. Left it all. Just the thing that was spinning the meter around got touched.

We tell every guest as we show them their room upon arrival: Please feel free to shut the windows and use the A/C, but we just ask if you would please turn it off when you leave the room.
Fair warning to all, so A/C goes off, window gets opened, if they "forget".

I always try to make a joke of this "Oh my housekeepers get very antsy when they don't get to do their thing. They'll just freshen up a bit for you". We get into all the rooms every day, I'd rather avoid surprises at check out. If it's super hot out, I'd close the windows and leave the A/C as is. If the room feels really cold to you, turn the A/C down a bit and still close the windows. Maybe leave a note if you're worried about them repeating this.

I always try to make a joke of this "Oh my housekeepers get very antsy when they don't get to do their thing. They'll just freshen up a bit for you". We get into all the rooms every day, I'd rather avoid surprises at check out. If it's super hot out, I'd close the windows and leave the A/C as is. If the room feels really cold to you, turn the A/C down a bit and still close the windows. Maybe leave a note if you're worried about them repeating this..
My first reaction was to wonder what they didn't want me to know about. Figured it was cigs even tho I didn't smell anything on them when they checked in.

If I were in your shoes - D & E
Where I am, it would be C and E. And my head would be pounding from (E) wondering why anyone would want the window open here. True 48-50 weeks of the year anyway!

C, E, Note saying please turn off A/C if opening windows and allowing humidity into house.
I'm still considering running an electrical circuit that when a window opens, the A/C turns off automatically.

We tell every guest as we show them their room upon arrival: Please feel free to shut the windows and use the A/C, but we just ask if you would please turn it off when you leave the room.
Fair warning to all, so A/C goes off, window gets opened, if they "forget"..
Funny, we leave the A/C on. We want the guest to come back to a cool dry room. It takes forever to cool it down again. And it clears the sweat smell.

Fair warning to all, so A/C goes off, window gets opened, if they "forget"..
Funny, we leave the A/C on. We want the guest to come back to a cool dry room. It takes forever to cool it down again. And it clears the sweat smell.
500 yards from the ocean here on three sides, we let mother nature clear the air with the scent of the sea! And we have highly efficient room A/Cs, takes just a few minutes to chill down.

B+C
Just had guests from CO do the same thing..twice. Great people but totally oblivious. I closed the windows, turned AC off because I knew they would be gone all day and wanted those windows closed so they would not just forget about them. Around mid-day I remotely turned their AC on to a moderate, 74 degrees.

c) and e)
We have gas-log fireplaces in our suites and guests love to crank the air and then turn on the fireplaces..
PhineasSwann said:
c) and e)
We turn the gas off in the summer. Just the pilot light heats the room too much. And that would really frost me - A/C & fireplace on, windows open.
Just curious if your website states that the gas is off during the summer? My hubby took me to a B&B in Maine a few summers ago and booked a room with a fireplace for the romantic touch. We went to light it when we got back from dinner to find that the gas was shutoff and the innkeeper told us you can't use the fireplace during the summer, but we could use the air-conditioning. How romantic would it be to turn on their ridiculously loud rattling window air conditioners - it's not the same thing at all. We could have gotten a cheaper room if we knew we couldn't turn on the fireplace for a while each evening. It was not on their website anywhere but it certainly should have been.
When we check guests into a room with a fireplace it's lit for them year round because we have no idea if they want to use it or not.

c) and e)
PhineasSwann said:
c) and e)
Just curious if your website states that the gas is off during the summer? My hubby took me to a B&B in Maine a few summers ago and booked a room with a fireplace for the romantic touch. We went to light it when we got back from dinner to find that the gas was shutoff and the innkeeper told us you can't use the fireplace during the summer, but we could use the air-conditioning. How romantic would it be to turn on their ridiculously loud rattling window air conditioners - it's not the same thing at all. We could have gotten a cheaper room if we knew we couldn't turn on the fireplace for a while each evening. It was not on their website anywhere but it certainly should have been.
When we check guests into a room with a fireplace it's lit for them year round because we have no idea if they want to use it or not.
MtnKeeper said:
Yes, it's on the website. With the dates we turn it off/on. When someone calls, we don't even mention the fireplaces are in the rooms for summer bookings. And the prices go down for the summer so they are on par with the other rooms that don't have the fireplaces at all.
I do know most places don't turn them off but the rooms really do get too hot with just the pilot on. Which causes the secondary effect of the A/C having to run all the time.
In the winter we've had to leave the room doors open just to cool the rooms down enough to clean them. One couple used to keep the room at 80 the whole week they were here. I do charge enough to cover over use of the fireplaces, so that's one good thing.
(BTW, we went to a Maine B&B in Nov where the innkeeper had the controller for the fireplace and wouldn't let us have it. HE would turn it on and off for us. Yeah, THAT'S real romantic!)

Back