Guest says...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We tell every guest as we show them their room upon arrival: Please feel free to shut the windows and use the A/C, but we just ask if you would please turn it off when you leave the room.
Fair warning to all, so A/C goes off, window gets opened, if they "forget"..
Funny, we leave the A/C on. We want the guest to come back to a cool dry room. It takes forever to cool it down again. And it clears the sweat smell.
500 yards from the ocean here on three sides, we let mother nature clear the air with the scent of the sea! And we have highly efficient room A/Cs, takes just a few minutes to chill down.
With all the humidity? Ugh.

We tell every guest as we show them their room upon arrival: Please feel free to shut the windows and use the A/C, but we just ask if you would please turn it off when you leave the room.
Funny, we leave the A/C on. We want the guest to come back to a cool dry room. It takes forever to cool it down again. And it clears the sweat smell.
500 yards from the ocean here on three sides, we let mother nature clear the air with the scent of the sea! And we have highly efficient room A/Cs, takes just a few minutes to chill down.
We don't get the humidity here. Sea breeze here is always blowing cool dry air. Never got above 82 here all last year. Because we are on a point, we are usually 5-10 degrees cooler in our personal micro-climate than even 5 minutes up the road. Our gardens even bloom out of synch with others inland.
Today is warm and muggy; two room A/Cs are running and that's cool with us. But there is no A/C in the rest of the house nor on the 3rd floor attic space where we live. Despite the occasional hot day, we've survived for going on 10 years. Depending on the direction of the wind, everything coming off the sea from the north, east, or south is welcomingly refreshing.
And btw, until this weekend, I would say perhaps two rooms have turned on the A/C all season; they much rather appreciate the fresh ocean air!

We don't get the humidity here. Sea breeze here is always blowing cool dry air. Never got above 82 here all last year. Because we are on a point, we are usually 5-10 degrees cooler in our personal micro-climate than even 5 minutes up the road. Our gardens even bloom out of synch with others inland.
Today is warm and muggy; two room A/Cs are running and that's cool with us. But there is no A/C in the rest of the house nor on the 3rd floor attic space where we live. Despite the occasional hot day, we've survived for going on 10 years. Depending on the direction of the wind, everything coming off the sea from the north, east, or south is welcomingly refreshing.
And btw, until this weekend, I would say perhaps two rooms have turned on the A/C all season; they much rather appreciate the fresh ocean air!
See, for us, the air is always humid all summer long. The last thing on earth that you want to do is open a window. The humidity will attach to everything in the room and to properly cool it down will take hours. We change towels more often in the summer than the winter because in the winter they dry quickly, in the summer with the humidity, they can still be damp by the morning. Even if the house is the same temperature.

See, for us, the air is always humid all summer long. The last thing on earth that you want to do is open a window. The humidity will attach to everything in the room and to properly cool it down will take hours. We change towels more often in the summer than the winter because in the winter they dry quickly, in the summer with the humidity, they can still be damp by the morning. Even if the house is the same temperature.
Yes, having living in Maryland for 25 years, I totally understand. But also having grown up in New England, we fought the air-conditioning cult for the first 20 years! Exactly the reason we live where we do now and feel blessed.
One of Poppa's old co-workers from MD is coming to stay with us tomorrow. 'twill be interesting for her to experience the climate difference.
We do change towels every day when it's humid out, even if folks don't throw them on the floor to be exchanged. We over-ride their decision to be helpful and eco-conscious.

c) and e)
We have gas-log fireplaces in our suites and guests love to crank the air and then turn on the fireplaces..
We have electric fireplace heaters in the rooms' 1800s fireplaces. They have two switches so you can have the logs burning without the heat. I have them set so the flames are going but no heat. Those that want heat can check it out and get heat. Those that want the heat but not the flames can turn the dial so the flames goes out. We love them!

I too love the ocean breezes here at the inn! My fourth floor room has no ac just windows open unless its raining. I sleep with a blanket most of the year including right now since its gets chilly at night.

C, E, Note saying please turn off A/C if opening windows and allowing humidity into house.
I'm still considering running an electrical circuit that when a window opens, the A/C turns off automatically..
Jon, its already clear to us that you will go with the head banging!

Is the room too cold for them? Do they understand how to control the a/c? Are they blowing smoke out the window? Who knows?
I'd close the window, leave on a/c, or leave window open, turn off a/c AND leave card of minimal instructions for operation of a/c with maximum efficiency and to save energy ... close window when in use ... blah blah blah. I don't know why people do this. I had only a few a/c's and had instructions at the a/c, at the thermostat and on the windows! Yes, I did.
Had a few guests who used all three ... heat, a/c and open window. When they checked out discovered ... Heat set to 68, a/c set to 62, window open.
angry_smile.gif

I've returned to hotel rooms to find that housekeeping has changed the settings on a/c so it's not unheard of for staff to adjust..
We'd rather have a relay on the window that shuts off the A/C and the heat when someone opens the window and either of those are on. (Rather than instructions no one reads or listens to. Because we do say to close the windows if the A/C or heat is on.)
What I did - shut off the A/C, didn't touch the window or anything else. Towels all over the bathroom floor, lights on. Left it all. Just the thing that was spinning the meter around got touched.
Madeleine said:
We'd rather have a relay on the window that shuts off the A/C and the heat when someone opens the window and either of those are on. (Rather than instructions no one reads or listens to. Because we do say to close the windows if the A/C or heat is on.)
What I did - shut off the A/C, didn't touch the window or anything else. Towels all over the bathroom floor, lights on. Left it all. Just the thing that was spinning the meter around got touched.
best solution. you have every right to enter those rooms anytime you want or need to, so don't take a guest telling you not to as a requirement. you turned off what costs money, checked on the room for your own peace of mind and didn't disturb their mess.
they probably won't even notice, in other words, they probably don't know they left the ac on.

Is the room too cold for them? Do they understand how to control the a/c? Are they blowing smoke out the window? Who knows?
I'd close the window, leave on a/c, or leave window open, turn off a/c AND leave card of minimal instructions for operation of a/c with maximum efficiency and to save energy ... close window when in use ... blah blah blah. I don't know why people do this. I had only a few a/c's and had instructions at the a/c, at the thermostat and on the windows! Yes, I did.
Had a few guests who used all three ... heat, a/c and open window. When they checked out discovered ... Heat set to 68, a/c set to 62, window open.
angry_smile.gif

I've returned to hotel rooms to find that housekeeping has changed the settings on a/c so it's not unheard of for staff to adjust..
Madeleine said:
best solution. you have every right to enter those rooms anytime you want or need to, so don't take a guest telling you not to as a requirement. you turned off what costs money, checked on the room for your own peace of mind and didn't disturb their mess.
they probably won't even notice, in other words, they probably don't know they left the ac on.
Just what I was thinking. And how I acted.
It would be similar to hearing loud noises coming from room when no one was in it or hearing water running or seeing smoke or closing open windows in event of a thunderstorm (most guests plug their iThings in under the windows, what a mess). We've gone in to turn off heat when it was running for hours and found thermostats turned up to 90. Did they not know Fahrenheit? Did they think the room would warm up faster if they turned it higher?

Curious whether you make it so guests CANNOT open the windows. I suspect replies would relate to fire & safety. For people with modern fire safety? But does EVERY window need to be controllable by guests?

Back