Guest sensitive to everything!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
a woman called and left a message yesterday ... i called her back just to be nice. she is sensitive to all scents, asked if we use potpourri ... no, did we have scented candles ... no, asked about laundry ... i told her we use 7th generation free and clear but that our sheets are laundered elsewhere and i don't know what they use ... that we are not 'scent free' ... that other guests use perfumes and all sorts of things, that are cleaning products are not scent free ... that this is an old house, the basement is musty ... etc.
long story short, she went on our website, called back and insisted on coming here, wanted to book for a week (yes, we can use that kind of windfall ... no, i thought she might last one nite)
she arrived sniffing the air, told me she had come from a beautiful b&b that is too new so smells of chemicals
told me she would spend no time on the first floor and not much time in the building (old building, she smelled mold).
up on the third floor, to one of the few rooms with wood floors, she objected to the smell of air freshner used about 4 hours previous coming from the third floor bathroom and that she didn't have her own bathroom which she hadn't realized.
she said she would try it
about an hour later, she came to the innkeeper quarters door eating an ice cream saying she couldn't stay (i forgot to get her key from her)
wouldn't say where she was going that she would 'find a place' and she bolted.
okay, it was quarter of ten at nite, so on a hunch i called across the street and asked if she had checked in there because i needed her key back. the hotel owner sounded elated, that she was supposed to be checking in, so maybe she has booked with him for a week.
i am feeling a little bad this morning, having someone walk around sniffing the air and saying 'i smell talcum powder' which i don't use, 'i smell mold' or 'i smell cleaning products, or 'i smell this or that' etc., i don't notice these smells myself. not that they don't exist here.
beyond that, i had no idea where to recommend she stay that is 'scent free and chemical free' she said she couldn't stay over on monhegan island which is about as natural as you can get because of the kerosene lamps, the smell of those bothers her. camping under the stars would probably be best for her in a nice, open air tent.
and the big question i ask myself is: why did i return that phone call?

Don't feel bad, SS
As a newly-retired allergist, I can tell you that the lady sounds like she had "issues" not related to her sensitivities. I think our glossary refers to these folks as P's. Multiple chemical sensitivities in many cases is now the "disease du jour" for people to latch on to so they do not have to deal with their underlying emotional problems.
That is not to say that people can't be made ill by strong odors, but her approach wasn't what you would expect since you pretty much tried to warn her off. In this case, I'd really try to get at least one night's charges out of her...
Jane

Don't feel bad, SS
As a newly-retired allergist, I can tell you that the lady sounds like she had "issues" not related to her sensitivities. I think our glossary refers to these folks as P's. Multiple chemical sensitivities in many cases is now the "disease du jour" for people to latch on to so they do not have to deal with their underlying emotional problems.
That is not to say that people can't be made ill by strong odors, but her approach wasn't what you would expect since you pretty much tried to warn her off. In this case, I'd really try to get at least one night's charges out of her...
Jane.
LOL... SS is the originator of the term P! And yes, she definitely has issues! Bummer for SS to have to deal with her.
The nice thing (for her) about being so "sensitive" is that she can find fault with every single place on earth... she probably goes around getting discounts and free stuff and people catering to her and making her feel special. She's probably lonely and I feel sorry for her. (But not so sorry that I want her to come here and stay...)
=) Kk.

Oh yes, you cannot please everyone. But if she was in the room and used the facilities, she should have to pay you especially for your trouble. You will now have to reclean that room.
I would never make such a claim as to be "odor free" in this day and age, that is just not realistic.

I know that was the same woman who did that here. Booked it then proceeded to sniff her way along the corridors. Apparently she ended up at three other B&B's that same night doing the same thing and finding them all unacceptable. (Good luck in a hotel was all I could tell her as she left here)
I am no scent free, nor do I wish to be. All it takes is ONE person with head dizzying cologne to wipe out this innkeeper. I cannot speak for others body odor, hairsprays, colognes. It travels, it is airborne and wafts beyond closed doors. For that alone, we are NOT SCENT FREE.
I won't even TRY to accomodate someone who is hyper-sensitive now. I did what you did, and felt the chump for it.

Really? And she can stay at a hotel and not have issues? Give me strength. Too bad you answered the call, but better off that she is gone.

I think my answer to whether we are odor free will be, "Yes, all of our odors are complimentary!".
If we are Scent-free, " Yes, we don't make too much money as innkeepers."
devil_smile.gif

I think my answer to whether we are odor free will be, "Yes, all of our odors are complimentary!".
devil_smile.gif
Willowpondgj said:
devil_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

update:
she slept on the screened porch of the cottage owned by the little hotel.to stay three nights including tonight. she asked that they not clean it first nor while she was there and said she would find her own breakfast elsewhere. was using her own sheets, pillow and blanket.
tonight it is raining and about 49 - i would not want to be sleeping on that porch right now
i went over to ask about return of my key, ended up leaving anote on the porch for her because she was not there at the time.
i had guests here last night who asked if they could smoke cigars in chairs out on the lawn - not in the building nor on the decks. i told them okay. this morning at breakfast they told me they were enjoying their cigars at about 10:30 last nite and a woman had shouted at them from up the hill and across the street (guess who?) asking if they were smoking cigars and told them to put them out immediately.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
!!! they kept their cigars lit and walked down to the docks to finish them.
i am not a cigar fan, but i am amazed that she would do this! where they were sitting is at least 500 feet away, across the road, and downhill and downWIND from the porch where she was.
this afternoon i went outside to check on my open flag and she had left the key on the deck railing, soaking wet. rather than knock on the door or just come in and return it (i was here all day)

update:
she slept on the screened porch of the cottage owned by the little hotel.to stay three nights including tonight. she asked that they not clean it first nor while she was there and said she would find her own breakfast elsewhere. was using her own sheets, pillow and blanket.
tonight it is raining and about 49 - i would not want to be sleeping on that porch right now
i went over to ask about return of my key, ended up leaving anote on the porch for her because she was not there at the time.
i had guests here last night who asked if they could smoke cigars in chairs out on the lawn - not in the building nor on the decks. i told them okay. this morning at breakfast they told me they were enjoying their cigars at about 10:30 last nite and a woman had shouted at them from up the hill and across the street (guess who?) asking if they were smoking cigars and told them to put them out immediately.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
!!! they kept their cigars lit and walked down to the docks to finish them.
i am not a cigar fan, but i am amazed that she would do this! where they were sitting is at least 500 feet away, across the road, and downhill and downWIND from the porch where she was.
this afternoon i went outside to check on my open flag and she had left the key on the deck railing, soaking wet. rather than knock on the door or just come in and return it (i was here all day).
Wow sounds like you dodged a bullet there. She didn't even stay with you and still managed to irritate you and your other guests. ;)

everyday living must be a real struggle for her - not being able to tolerate so many things - i wonder how she functions, where she works ... best idea i can think of is she should get a little popup trailer or motor home, could then have no carpet, but tile and wood and what agrees with her inside it - she could visit national parks and things like that without having to roam from place to place.
i agree that we as a country are 'overscented' ... wondering if this leads to people developing hypersensitivity --- after too much exposure?
me?
i am missing the 'smell' of sheets hung on the line (seagull bombs and dirty air and an ordinance against clothes lines are pushing those out of today's life in many areas)

everyday living must be a real struggle for her - not being able to tolerate so many things - i wonder how she functions, where she works ... best idea i can think of is she should get a little popup trailer or motor home, could then have no carpet, but tile and wood and what agrees with her inside it - she could visit national parks and things like that without having to roam from place to place.
i agree that we as a country are 'overscented' ... wondering if this leads to people developing hypersensitivity --- after too much exposure?
me?
i am missing the 'smell' of sheets hung on the line (seagull bombs and dirty air and an ordinance against clothes lines are pushing those out of today's life in many areas).
I was telling hubs this story and he said, 'She called us.' She wanted to know about the laundry detergent and the cleaning supplies (which are unscented) and told us we should change our laundry detergent, it has 'a smell' (I should change it because I sneeze). He said she knew all the cleaners we used and said she couldn't stay with us.
Of course it may not have been her...

I have had at least one guest with these kinds of sensitivities but she was a lot more rational and realistic than this one sounds like she is. The only thing I did was was one set of sheets for her bed in a plain hot water wash (after they'd already been to the cleaners) and put those on the bed for her stay (without ironing them - no starch). We don't have potpourri or candles, anyway, and the hardwood floors help. This woman told me she prefers B&Bs because the innkeeper at least knows what products are being used to clean and she can ask about them in advance. She didn't try to tell me what to use, though...
Jeanne

I have had at least one guest with these kinds of sensitivities but she was a lot more rational and realistic than this one sounds like she is. The only thing I did was was one set of sheets for her bed in a plain hot water wash (after they'd already been to the cleaners) and put those on the bed for her stay (without ironing them - no starch). We don't have potpourri or candles, anyway, and the hardwood floors help. This woman told me she prefers B&Bs because the innkeeper at least knows what products are being used to clean and she can ask about them in advance. She didn't try to tell me what to use, though...
Jeanne.
We have done that sort of thing as well. Hubs did not mention to her that we would and I'm glad if it was the one SS got.

Back