Guest Vaccination Requirement

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone's medical records are NOT any of MY business. There are laws against demanding medical records - although that little law seems to have been kicked to the curb right now.

In Newfoundland, vaccines are required in any location where patrons (guests) share common areas, especially eat together. We have provincial QR codes that people download or print off. I have an app on my phone where I scan and am able to validate vaccine status. I do NOT have any medical information or even personal. It doesn't even tell me where they live. We also have the capability to scan codes from other provinces. No one has refused most ask when booking to make sure that I check it.

Prior to closing the biz, we had a form for the guest to fill out. They could do it online and we’d get an email, or they could fill it out in person. We were not asking to see vaccination cards, but a lot of people showed them anyway. 99% of guests just wanted to be on vacation and did what was required. People who wanted to argue had plenty of other options of places to go. So it wasn’t really an issue.

What laws against requesting medical records, Gillum? Don't say HIPPA - that only applies to people who work in the medical profession.

I have the right to ask for a vaccination card if I want to let a customer into my business. I don't, I'm in Vermont and we trust people here. But if you doubt I have the right, look at all the restaurants in New York who are doing exactly that - even Trump's!

We are required by law to ask for vaccination certificates if the guests want to eat breakfast in the common dining room. If they don't want to provide it, breakfast is in a meal prep container for them to take to their room.

The local version simply says "Adequately vaccinated" but includes those who are medically exempted.... so it doesn't actually indicate medical information.

Apparently some idiots are trying to get fake versions... and have paid over $3K to get them. But they are related to a central database and we have a verification app to check the codes. Apparently people have been caught trying to get fake versions... because otherwise they can't eat out at a restaurant here.

Do you require proof of vaccination from guests? If so, how is that working out for you?
We aren't required to ask, but I do word my email in such a way that everyone willingly lets me know they have been vaccinated. Fortunately, 95% of my guests are affiliated with Philmont Scout Ranch and already know the expectations. We've been very fortunate during all this.

It's my business and I make my rules, subject to explicit legal limitations such as discrimination. I deal with it by advising guests in the confirmation:

COVID 19 Note for Fall 2021: we’ve made certain changes to keep you – and us – safe. We ourselves have been fully vaccinated against COVID. Accordingly, we're following State guidance for social distancing.
1. At present, that is a reinstatement of masks:
regardless of vaccination status, we request you wear face coverings while in the public spaces.
2. We’ll greet you in the parking area or at the front door and show you to your room.
It will be helpful for you to please text or call xxx-xxx-xxxx when you are about to arrive.
3. If you wish to show that you have been vaccinated against COVID then we will serve you in the great room -- pretty much as we used to do, with service at tables set six feet apart.

4. If you DO NOT wish to show that you have been vaccinated then breakfast will be served to you alone in the downstairs Guest Lounge or to your room.

That handles it well. Some people have CDC cards, but I usually don't ask for physical proof. Around here, Pacific Northwest, folks who are vaccinated are proud of it and folks who are NOT vaccinated are proud of it, too! About 95% of parties are fully vaccinated; I don't have a problem serving the few, away from the public space, as I did for a year before vaccines were available.

Creating or possessing a forged CDC covid vaccination card is actually a federal crime. I've enjoyed reading stories of people displaying their illegally acquired vaccine cards and then getting visits from FBIs in less than a week.

We asked vaxxed status all last season. 7% were unvaxxed and required to wear masks. We did not ask to see verification. For next year all reservations are required to answer this question: Do you have proof that you are all fully vaccinated?
We will not be accepting unvaccinated folks next season. And with the current COVID situation will be requiring masks indoors. We wore K95s all last year.

We are required by law to ask for vaccination certificates if the guests want to eat breakfast in the common dining room. If they don't want to provide it, breakfast is in a meal prep container for them to take to their room.

The local version simply says "Adequately vaccinated" but includes those who are medically exempted.... so it doesn't actually indicate medical information.

Apparently some idiots are trying to get fake versions... and have paid over $3K to get them. But they are related to a central database and we have a verification app to check the codes. Apparently people have been caught trying to get fake versions... because otherwise they can't eat out at a restaurant here.
The funny part is, it takes more time and energy and money to get fake proof than it does to get the free shot in 10 minutes.

Thank you for your reply. Where are you located that you are required to ask for vaccination cards?

It's my business and I make my rules, subject to explicit legal limitations such as discrimination. I deal with it by advising guests in the confirmation:

COVID 19 Note for Fall 2021: we’ve made certain changes to keep you – and us – safe. We ourselves have been fully vaccinated against COVID. Accordingly, we're following State guidance for social distancing.
1. At present, that is a reinstatement of masks:
regardless of vaccination status, we request you wear face coverings while in the public spaces.
2. We’ll greet you in the parking area or at the front door and show you to your room.
It will be helpful for you to please text or call xxx-xxx-xxxx when you are about to arrive.
3. If you wish to show that you have been vaccinated against COVID then we will serve you in the great room -- pretty much as we used to do, with service at tables set six feet apart.

4. If you DO NOT wish to show that you have been vaccinated then breakfast will be served to you alone in the downstairs Guest Lounge or to your room.

That handles it well. Some people have CDC cards, but I usually don't ask for physical proof. Around here, Pacific Northwest, folks who are vaccinated are proud of it and folks who are NOT vaccinated are proud of it, too! About 95% of parties are fully vaccinated; I don't have a problem serving the few, away from the public space, as I did for a year before vaccines were available.
Thank you for this information. Really helpful

Thank you for your reply. Where are you located that you are required to ask for vaccination cards?
Generic is in Quebec. I am in Newfoundland. We both are required to ask for vax status. Our provinces have QR codes that have been developed for this purpose. People download the code after they have inputed their vaccines (type and date) and are issued a unique code. We have an app on our phone to enable us to scan the code. If they are compliant, all we see is their name in green (for positive) and a check mark. That's all it tells us. No address, no phone number, no medical information. This information is not stored. I can't bring it up again once scanned. Guest does not need internet or wifi to bring up their code. They can also print off their QR code and present that if they wish. This time of year, we get quit a few older guests who can be unsure of how to download the app so they usually present a printed version that someone has printed for them. If they can't find anyone to do this for them, they can apply to the health ministry and will be mailed a QR code. Before Omicron came along, I paid a quick visit to my daughter in Ontario ( and I'm so glad I did when I was able ), and they asked for proof of vaccination in restaurants, museums and a spa where my daughter treated me to a pedicure! They were able to scan my code and they also wanted ID. Unfortunately, my son-in-law has tested positive for COVID. He is a project manager for demolition and had to travel out of town to visit a job site. That's probably where he got it. Now my daughter has to wait for her test. She has severe asthma so we are on pins and needles for the next few days.

Someone's medical records are NOT any of MY business. There are laws against demanding medical records - although that little law seems to have been kicked to the curb right now.
In our state private businesses have a right to establish the conditions for service: shirt and shoes required, mask mandates, proof of vaccination are pretty standard requirements here. I’m pretty sure that requiring proof of vaccination is legal.

Well, new regulations... restaurants are only take-out and delivery, which means I can't serve. If we have just one family, we can put it on the table, but if there are more, they have to take it to their room.

We let guests use the dining room to eat, but it's one family at a time.

Generic is in Quebec. I am in Newfoundland. We both are required to ask for vax status. Our provinces have QR codes that have been developed for this purpose. People download the code after they have inputed their vaccines (type and date) and are issued a unique code. We have an app on our phone to enable us to scan the code. If they are compliant, all we see is their name in green (for positive) and a check mark. That's all it tells us. No address, no phone number, no medical information. This information is not stored. I can't bring it up again once scanned. Guest does not need internet or wifi to bring up their code. They can also print off their QR code and present that if they wish. This time of year, we get quit a few older guests who can be unsure of how to download the app so they usually present a printed version that someone has printed for them. If they can't find anyone to do this for them, they can apply to the health ministry and will be mailed a QR code. Before Omicron came along, I paid a quick visit to my daughter in Ontario ( and I'm so glad I did when I was able ), and they asked for proof of vaccination in restaurants, museums and a spa where my daughter treated me to a pedicure! They were able to scan my code and they also wanted ID. Unfortunately, my son-in-law has tested positive for COVID. He is a project manager for demolition and had to travel out of town to visit a job site. That's probably where he got it. Now my daughter has to wait for her test. She has severe asthma so we are on pins and needles for the next few days.
Sorry to hear about your son-in-law and certainly hope your daughter is ok
you sound lightyears ahead of us here; yet good information to have. I do feel we have the "right" to ask; as many restaurants and other businesses are doing, but want to make sure we go about properly. Thank you for your reply.

Well, new regulations... restaurants are only take-out and delivery, which means I can't serve. If we have just one family, we can put it on the table, but if there are more, they have to take it to their room.

We let guests use the dining room to eat, but it's one family at a time.
We are fortunate that we have separate rooms to seat up to 8-9 guests (our max) and we have continued to seat this way since COVID really hit in 2020.

In my home state, one political party worked for 20 years to give businesses the right to exclude whoever they wanted, exclusive of federal discrimination laws.

Now they're whining and trying to pass laws to prevent businesses from excluding people who are pro-plague.

This is me, laughing.

In my home state, one political party worked for 20 years to give businesses the right to exclude whoever they wanted, exclusive of federal discrimination laws.

Now they're whining and trying to pass laws to prevent businesses from excluding people who are pro-plague.

This is me, laughing.
Before our vaccine passports, I had a regular business guest that stayed basically once a month for three nights on a regular basis. Lost him because he has chosen not to be vaccinated. He called last week to see if I still enforced the passport. I guess he was hoping I would look the other way. On a positive note, we both have our boosters scheduled for this afternoon.

Back