Guests Are Changing...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
Well, it's becoming clear that my guests are changing and I don't want to start to charge my regulars for the abuse by the new guests. So it's down to two choices, either set up some extra charges that I am clear about or put up prices and give repeat guests a special discount code.

Recently some of the guests think that we are their busboy as well as their housekeeper. It's not my job to play Jenga take-away container on the garbage. The city can fine me for not composting. I've been simply asking that they bring down the used containers and leave them on the kitchen counter. But it seems to be too much for many of them to handle.

Some of them have been stripping the bed lately. I have to put the sheets back on for spot treatment.... or are they hiding something. Why are you stripping a bed? You are done... leave! Did I ask you to make more work for me by stripping the bed?

Why are you moving my furniture around the room? Why are you disconnecting my COVID air purifier? Do you really need to move that desk? Well, I'm not schlepping for free anymore. Put it back or pay me!

My dishes are expensive. They are Meakin/Johnson Bros. (now part of Wedgewood). Pieces on eBay go for hefty amounts. We used to have a guest or two borrow and bring them back. Now.. they borrow and leave them around, or worse.

So I'm adding this information to the check-in form. They have to agree before they can check in and get their entry information. I'm hoping it all ends with absolutely NO charges. I just want to go back to their being courteous.

So sad that you are having this happen. The world is upside down. After being locked up for so long, people seem to have forgotten how polite society functions.

The bed stripping thing is a byproduct of air b N b. They think they are responsible for clean up or you’ll charge a clean up fee. the Dishes? I’ve also noticed more people eating in their rooms. I don’t like it either. Or they Tavel with their own food and picnic in their rooms the whole time.
moving furniture? We’ve seen it but not often. It’s hugely annoying and a bit violating.

I'm not trying to stop them eating in the room, I just don't want the smell in the room, the ants or other bugs in the room and of course, to pay a fine for not composting. All I'm asking is for them to put it in the kitchen when they are done. We'll handle it.

Until this summer, they all managed to put the dishes in the kitchen. They managed to use the room without moving every damn piece of furniture. I guess it's the end of COVID and the prices that are bringing out the worst in people.

Maybe attaching a cost to their rudeness will help?

" Maybe attaching a cost to their rudeness will help? "

Money seems to have a way of catching the attention of folks or at least ease the pain for the extra work. I agree, I think prices help create the feeling of being entitled. Our small town is about half students, used to see many complaints about wages, now I see more about rentals going up that followed the increase in wages.

I do okay on furniture, most was made in my shop and a guest best bring some tools if they expect to move it from where I chose to install.

I think most guests are respectful of our property. By raising our prices we have eliminated a lot of problem guests but not 100%. We have a covered grilling area and one idiot grilled a steak in the oven on the rack with no pan.. Some are just lacking intelligence..so just chalk it up to part of doing business. Raise your prices, and make sure your return guests know they get a discount.

..so just chalk it up to part of doing business.
Exactly. Some guests are great. Some are horrible. Most fall somewhere in the middle. The great ones are so easy to clean up after, it kind of averages out the extra work the horrible ones need.

Rarely, I'll give a housekeeper a bonus for cleaning up after a real slob, but generally we just agree that the easy ones and the hard ones pretty much average out over time, so the pay is the same (I pay by the job, not the hour).

I think Covid has made people more worried about contact so that has made more people eat breakfast in their rooms along with lunch and supper. Yes, frustrating! I would put another trash can in for food waste and see what happens. We all know people don't read and think rules are there to break. At my grandparents inn we just up the price and give the regulars we like the opportunity to book early at discounted prices. This is what my uncle thought up. Our guests can book for next year whenever at no cost. In January we send out a reminder that they need to pay for one night before Feb 1 to keep their rooms, dates, and special prices. Feb 1 we open the website for anyone to book any room left at the regular prices. It works for us and our guests like it. It also gives the guests a graceful way to back out without losing money and yet we have months to get someone else in before the date.

moving furniture? We’ve seen it but not often. It’s hugely annoying and a bit violating.
Having big heavy furniture usually solves this problem. Years ago guests would always move this certain big heavy piece so we just decided to leave it there and it solved that problem. Sometimes guests think they have to block the door so if you find an easy to move piece and position it near by, you'll help everyone. (example like an ottoman, small table etc.)

We have not realized any of these issues. Thank goodness, because I'm not very patient with Guests who disrespect our Home. If we feel a vibe that a Guest needs a little extra information to understand that we EXPECT them to respect our HOME. We give them a short and sweet discussion about what we expect, with the understanding if not abided we will be reviewing our conversation on there way out! We only had a few dummies' over the years who where not so difficult to handle, didn't even have to kick them out.

Back