Guests are not the only ones....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
Our middle son arrived with his family yesterday. In the "big" room, is a queen-size rice bed. For years, men guests have leaned on the post at the foot of the bed as i give the 50 cent spiel - to the point it broke off, replaced with dowel, wobbly a bit, another dowel replacement, etc. Yesterday, son who learned from the best how to empty the car in one trip, comes into the room and swings around hitting the post and sending the post flying. THIS time the finial at the top split in half. Time to go get another bottle of Gor illa glue. It has now been fixed. After everyone leaves, I will go get another dowel. He felt so bad!!! Am totally enjoying the 6 year old - he is reading already!! - and the 7 month old (grandchildren # 8 & 9). Tonight #1 and #2 grandsons are due in - a bit of age difference as they are 29 and 26.

Love my family, dread seeing them come thru the door. They still don't get that this is how I earn my keep. Where I would never dream of going into their work toolbox and wandering off with the means of their livelihood, some of them still don't understand that allowing kids and pets to wander freely with chew toys and sticky hands is not conducive to me earning a living.

The good thing is that I am small enough to just shut down when they come. That helps a lot. They do get it though, they always ask in advance if it is a good time for us to have them come and if needed, they come around any reservations we might have (or conferences, etc).

my parents live accross town, see my car park as constant free parking and that they can let themselves in and chat for hours _cos I don't have enough to do! - and they never ring in advance - and if we have popped out they complain

The good thing is that I am small enough to just shut down when they come. That helps a lot. They do get it though, they always ask in advance if it is a good time for us to have them come and if needed, they come around any reservations we might have (or conferences, etc)..
They are rarely here when 'guests' are but they don't get they have to be 'careful' of things and not make a mess of everything.

my parents live accross town, see my car park as constant free parking and that they can let themselves in and chat for hours _cos I don't have enough to do! - and they never ring in advance - and if we have popped out they complain.
Time for a sign...
Free parking for guests, all others £8 per hour (no exclusions).
My mom thinks that I can just drive around to her place (at least 30 minutes each way, likely 45 to 60 with traffic) to fix her computer.

my parents live accross town, see my car park as constant free parking and that they can let themselves in and chat for hours _cos I don't have enough to do! - and they never ring in advance - and if we have popped out they complain.
Time for a sign...
My mom thinks that I can just drive around to her place (at least 30 minutes each way, likely 45 to 60 with traffic) to fix her computer.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Time for a sign...
If it's not a hardware issue, set your mom up with one of those remote help desk systems so you can run her computer from yours. I am sorely tempted to do this for both my parents but my dad doesn't mind sitting on the phone for a couple of hours at 2 AM talking to someone in user support.

Time for a sign...
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Time for a sign...
If it's not a hardware issue, set your mom up with one of those remote help desk systems so you can run her computer from yours. I am sorely tempted to do this for both my parents but my dad doesn't mind sitting on the phone for a couple of hours at 2 AM talking to someone in user support.
I assure you, we have that installed. Of course last time we asked her to reboot her computer, she turned the screen off instead.

Time for a sign...
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Time for a sign...
I assure you, we have that installed. Of course last time we asked her to reboot her computer, she turned the screen off instead.
I have an 'analog girl in a digital world' mom also. What do you use to remotely access your mom's computer? I should set that up for my mom so I can show her what I'm talking about while I'm on the phone with her.

Time for a sign...
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Time for a sign...
I have an 'analog girl in a digital world' mom also. What do you use to remotely access your mom's computer? I should set that up for my mom so I can show her what I'm talking about while I'm on the phone with her.
We originally started using http://1dl.us which was easy to start with, but we eventually installed Chrome for her and then installed the Chrome Remote Desktop instead.
We have it installed for my dad as well. Then we had to root his phone and install software on his phone as well, since he's not great with that, either. But in the case of a smartphone, Samsung has a remote app that works on most of their phones that doesn't require you to root the phone.

Time for a sign...
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Time for a sign...
We originally started using http://1dl.us which was easy to start with, but we eventually installed Chrome for her and then installed the Chrome Remote Desktop instead.
We have it installed for my dad as well. Then we had to root his phone and install software on his phone as well, since he's not great with that, either. But in the case of a smartphone, Samsung has a remote app that works on most of their phones that doesn't require you to root the phone.
My folks just got new phones, but not smartphones. My mom said, 'I can twitter on this phone but I don't even know what that is.' And she made Sprint turn off the texting option on the phone she just got rid of.

Time for a sign...
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Time for a sign...
My folks just got new phones, but not smartphones. My mom said, 'I can twitter on this phone but I don't even know what that is.' And she made Sprint turn off the texting option on the phone she just got rid of.
Yeah, we went on vacation and we were meeting up with my uncle in Italy. First I had to teach him how to use foreign SIM cards. Then I had to teach him how to text. Of course now... his old hand at it. He started texting with the old ABC method and I set up predictive texting for him, the speed increase meant that I got a lot more text messages, but it was so much easier than trying to catch each other voice over Italian phones (and cheaper). But yes, I regret getting my father the smart phone that he begged for... because it's just more tech that I have to support for him.

Time for a sign...
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Time for a sign...
Yeah, we went on vacation and we were meeting up with my uncle in Italy. First I had to teach him how to use foreign SIM cards. Then I had to teach him how to text. Of course now... his old hand at it. He started texting with the old ABC method and I set up predictive texting for him, the speed increase meant that I got a lot more text messages, but it was so much easier than trying to catch each other voice over Italian phones (and cheaper). But yes, I regret getting my father the smart phone that he begged for... because it's just more tech that I have to support for him.
Yeah, DH's phone doesn't have a keyboard so if I want to text it's the old 'hit the 2 key 3 times for a c' routine. Mostly what anyone gets from me is 'thx' as an acknowledgement that their text was rec'd.
I think I'm skipping a smartphone and going to Skype or Google Talk on the tablet instead. Maybe when we're done here I'll get a smartphone or whatever is 'the' phone in another 5 or so years.

Time for a sign...
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Time for a sign...
Yeah, DH's phone doesn't have a keyboard so if I want to text it's the old 'hit the 2 key 3 times for a c' routine. Mostly what anyone gets from me is 'thx' as an acknowledgement that their text was rec'd.
I think I'm skipping a smartphone and going to Skype or Google Talk on the tablet instead. Maybe when we're done here I'll get a smartphone or whatever is 'the' phone in another 5 or so years.
Check the settings for predictive instead of ABC. In that case, you don't have to type 222 for the letter C, you just keep on writing the word and let it continue to guess what word. Much quicker.

Our owners show up with boxes and bags of stuff they've bought for the Inn. Load them all over the kitchen table and the porch. Their grandkids are running through the house. They have no concept of being quiet, clean and reserved. They stay at their own cabin, but they'll show up in the morning and want to chat business during breakfast prep or feed grandkids at the kitchen table while we're cooking taking up space and throwing off our routine. But, it's THEIR place, so I can't really say too much... makes me so mad... so very mad...

Our owners show up with boxes and bags of stuff they've bought for the Inn. Load them all over the kitchen table and the porch. Their grandkids are running through the house. They have no concept of being quiet, clean and reserved. They stay at their own cabin, but they'll show up in the morning and want to chat business during breakfast prep or feed grandkids at the kitchen table while we're cooking taking up space and throwing off our routine. But, it's THEIR place, so I can't really say too much... makes me so mad... so very mad....
grrrr...You might actually want to sit down with them at a quiet time and tell them this is a problem. Yes they are owners, but they have to realize that you have guests which have to be treated with respect and good service and you can't do that with kids running around and you preparing breakfast. They have to understand that.

Back