Guests being generous

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
We’ve been lucky to have lovely guests so far this year. Everyone has understood we are not doing daily room cleaning. They’ve accepted the rooms are stripped of the lovely bedding and we’ve gone to ‘hotel bedding’ for purposes of running everything thru high heat sanitizing. It’s ok the dining room is also stripped bare.

And lately they’ve been leaving $40 tips. Which we promptly spend on going out to eat! Bills be damned, we’re going to enjoy ourselves. (Which is totallynot our usual way of handling things!)

I also had some $40 tips in the beginning. things are back to normal re tips now. Tips????

Just had a family of 5 leave a $75 tip for my staff after a 3-day stay. Very nice and appreciated by our team.

We’ve been lucky to have lovely guests so far this year. Everyone has understood we are not doing daily room cleaning. They’ve accepted the rooms are stripped of the lovely bedding and we’ve gone to ‘hotel bedding’ for purposes of running everything thru high heat sanitizing. It’s ok the dining room is also stripped bare.

And lately they’ve been leaving $40 tips. Which we promptly spend on going out to eat! Bills be damned, we’re going to enjoy ourselves. (Which is totallynot our usual way of handling things!)
Similar experience. More tips this year. But some of them have figured out it’s just me now. Grateful in any case.

Question for all, do you leave housekeeping or thank you envelopes in the room or anything suggesting a housekeeping tip or gratuity?

I do not because I am 3-rooms and I am it. Tips were generous at at the beginning of people moving around again (and appreciated) but things are back to normal now - rare. (and believe me, they GET Service.)

@elmsofcamden Right now we do not have envelopes out because we do not have housekeeping help. When we do have help, I have a lovely note card I write on with info about the housekeeper and thanking the guest for choosing us. It does help. Enough guests have mentioned not knowing if tipping is OK or not, so we’re also performing a public service. ;-)

Each room has a note card from the housekeeper. Doesn't mention tips, just says:

"We hope you have a pleasant stay
and you find things clean and tidy.

Your housekeeper, [name of person who normally cleans that room]"

I don't know if it generates many tips, but does give a name to a real person who cleans and prepares the room, so that may help. My housekeepers get about 1 tip/month...that I know of 😀

Each room has a note card from the housekeeper. Doesn't mention tips, just says:

"We hope you have a pleasant stay
and you find things clean and tidy.

Your housekeeper, [name of person who normally cleans that room]"

I don't know if it generates many tips, but does give a name to a real person who cleans and prepares the room, so that may help. My housekeepers get about 1 tip/month...that I know of 😀
Exactly what I did. Each cleaning person would leave a signed card on the nightstand and we saw a tip increase and the guests appreciated knowing who was behind making their rooms so clean and stocked. We did not mention tips on the card. Myself, I do not like staying in Inns when they leave an envelope, I feel it puts pressure on some who may not be able to afford the extra dollars. I pay my cleaners well so they don't expect tips all the time.

Our former owners currently leave an envelope with “Thank you” printed on it. We are taking ownership in two weeks and I like the idea of shifting to a note card with the housekeepers name on it (it personalizes the service for the guest I think and also maybe gives a sense of ownership for our housekeeper who is just lovely and deserves much credit!). Just thoughts. We won’t be changing too much too fast...

We do not have anything begging for tips in rooms. Tencia our housekeeper still gets about $100 per week in cash tips and any tips left on our two days cleaning we give to her but not many tips on Monday and Tuesday stays. Almost all tips are on weekend stays and are $5 to $10

Friday night at 2 AM the smoke detector/co2 decided to beep. They turned of the A/C and opened a window and all went quiet. Saturday,I changed out the A/C (will have it looked at) and told them Y took $50 off their bill. They said - you did not have to do that but I let it stand. They added $50 to their bill as a tip.

People have been incredibly gracious, both with our limitations and their tipping. $10-$20 is the norm, but I had a regular hand me $50 the other day. I can usually tell when a guest is going to tip when they ask A.) if I own the place(no, I just manage it) and B.) when they ask if I'm working by myself(have been since March).

We don't currently have anything in the rooms that would inspire tipping, though I've been considering a general comments/suggestions card with an envelope that might jog the idea.

Back