Guests Definition of Value

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We charge $25 for an extra person. We have 2 rooms that can accommodate more than 2 people. I get push back from folks wanting to put 4 people in our room with 2 Queen beds. It is a large room but it would be tight in the bathroom. I want people to be comfortable so I NEVER allow 4 persons in there. The 2 Queen bed set up is really more for people that don't want to share or if there's a teenager or something.
I would raise your extra person charge....$15 is a huge bargain. Just my 2 cents.....
Samster said:
I get push back from folks wanting to put 4 people in our room with 2 Queen beds. It is a large room but it would be tight in the bathroom. I want people to be comfortable so I NEVER allow 4 persons in there.
I don't understand this. (I guess I'd be one of the ones pushing back...) They're not all in the bathroom at the same time, so how would a small bathroom matter?
=)
Kk.
It matters because I say it matters. My house, my rules :) It is not a motel room. Same reason that I don't cram rollaways in here.
edited to add: I do have 2 rooms that can accommodate 4 guests, but they are both 2 room suites or larger.

We charge $25 for an extra person. We have 2 rooms that can accommodate more than 2 people. I get push back from folks wanting to put 4 people in our room with 2 Queen beds. It is a large room but it would be tight in the bathroom. I want people to be comfortable so I NEVER allow 4 persons in there. The 2 Queen bed set up is really more for people that don't want to share or if there's a teenager or something.
I would raise your extra person charge....$15 is a huge bargain. Just my 2 cents.....
Samster said:
I get push back from folks wanting to put 4 people in our room with 2 Queen beds. It is a large room but it would be tight in the bathroom. I want people to be comfortable so I NEVER allow 4 persons in there.
I don't understand this. (I guess I'd be one of the ones pushing back...) They're not all in the bathroom at the same time, so how would a small bathroom matter?
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
I don't understand this. (I guess I'd be one of the ones pushing back...) They're not all in the bathroom at the same time, so how would a small bathroom matter?=)
Kk.
It matters to me - It is an environmnet that I like having at my B&B.
I won't have four in a room with one bathroom. That is stressing my well and my septic.
Charging an extra $50 per person is not worth the potential harm.
Plus, I don't want four suitcases and multiple hand carries in each room. Even though my rooms are very large. I just don't want the additional wear and tear. I put a lot of money into my rooms and I don't want people crammed into them.
Finally, I am set up for guests to enjoy the rooms, I hope to offer luxuries they don't have at home, including walking the woods and the vineyard. Cramming 4 into a room makes for a "feel" and experience that I would call "dorm room" or "youth hostel". I enjoyed that kind of traveling in my 20s. I'm somewhere else now.
Riki
Well said!! I concur 100% :)

I opened up this topic again today because, this cheap guy who has been emailing me back and forth for 2 weeks now about staying at our place, sent me this email today
"I am sorry to ask but I really need to know why you charge $20 extra for a 3rd guest in a room that sleeps three ??"
Now I really do not want him to stay. Grrrrr! It hardly deserves a reply.

I'd cut him off and tell him he might be happier at the Motel 6. Or you could remind him that each person gets fed, so that's a per-person cost, plus towels and expendables used, etc.
I guess he'd also ask for a 66% discount if he's staying alone in a room that sleeps 3.
Sheesh.

Or do what we do:
1. No third guests. If there is a third person, they may rent another room if it's available.
2. No pets. You know why.
Our rooms stay full. So I don't worry about the people that might have gone elsewhere..
I'm with you Proud Texan. 2 people in a room. No pets. No kids. It's my house and I get to make the decisions. I am happy to refer to places that might have extra room for a 3rd person or pets...but not here.

I opened up this topic again today because, this cheap guy who has been emailing me back and forth for 2 weeks now about staying at our place, sent me this email today
"I am sorry to ask but I really need to know why you charge $20 extra for a 3rd guest in a room that sleeps three ??"
Now I really do not want him to stay. Grrrrr! It hardly deserves a reply..
That's why I decided no to three in a room. They are cheap people who want something for nothing.
RIki

Victoria said:
ONLY $20!

Victoria said:
You do do you? How much is breakfast worth, linens, hot water, towels, amenities, $20 IS TOO CHEAP IMO. Charge them more. Tell him, "Oh sorry did I ONLY charge you $20, it is normally $40!"
And people like this will take everything they can, drink all the comp drinks and snacks, every last one. You know I have two daughters, and they are NOT FREE in a hotel room. A STINKIN' TWO BED HOTEL ROOM. I HAVE TO PAY FOR EACH PERSON.
pita.gif

Victoria said:
If you do reply back to him ask if the 3rd person will be showering and using any of the facilities while in the room? You can explain that the room is priced for TWO and that a third person means more wear and tear and use of water and laundry facilities. You could also add that if he does not wish to pay the $20 for the 3rd person, that other person is welcome to get their own room for $xxx.
Or, you could just say, 'Because I said so.'
That's why we have on the website that the rooms are priced for 1 or 2 guests. Some people think the room is priced for 3 if it sleeps 3. We can't help that. And I have considered pricing my 3 person rooms for 3 people and eliminating the 3rd person charge and just collecting it for EVERY stay in the room.

The only time I have 3 to a room is when the third is a kid.

Value is a relative term. Had a guest couple over on a sponsered deal of $15/night - reviewed us 6/10. Was fuming when they left - incredible PITA. Then again, i have been selling the room sometimes at $120-180/night with excellent feedback. Value is totallly a relative concept.

About people asking us why we charge extra $20-22/night for extra person, we just tell them our rooms are rated by the authorities (Law) for 2 people maximum occupancy. And we point them towards some budget option available in our area, which they acknowledge thankfully.
Save yourself from the hassle; direct your emailer to some other hotel/motel.

That's why I decided no to three in a room. They are cheap people who want something for nothing.
RIki
this is why we took our 2 family rooms off online booking because you end up with 3 adults turning up despite saying its for families only as they never read anything. The only way to keep them out is to make the price for a family room the same as for a single and a twin which I am trying not to do so that families can travel! Ive put on my web site we have family rooms but they must be booked directly with us. thats it. I don't mind 3 adults necesarily but with my consent ie the last conference we had we have a mother and daughter who have a shop who come every year to buy. This year they decided to bring their friend who they have known for many years with them but we didnt have a single so for $35 extra were happy for mother and daughter to have the double bed and the friend to have the single. This is fine as I have known them 6 years and they are hear for an event ie busy all day and out first thing and then early to bed no noise or drink etc.

I've found the mistake with people like this is to try and justify yourself. You say because of such-and-such and they say what about this and back and forth it goes.
Much easier to say that's the way it is, if it's not suitable for your requirements try x B&B or www.local website.
Politely of course.

Victoria said:
ONLY $20!
Thanks. I'm upping it today to $25, I'll start slow. I've blocked off the dates for the room he wanted in June so hopefully he will look elsewhere.

Victoria said:
ONLY $20!
Thanks. I'm upping it today to $25, I'll start slow. I've blocked off the dates for the room he wanted in June so hopefully he will look elsewhere.
Victoria said:
$25 is a good amount. The only guests who balk are the ones with 3 kids and there's no room for that many people anyway. Most adults with 3 in the room are happy they can get the room (divided by 3) for that little amount.

Victoria said:
ONLY $20!
Victoria said:
Now that is my way of dealing with the issue, not dealing with it if I can and praying that the matter will go away. Just make a note to put it back out there so you do not loose out on a real reservation!

Victoria said:
ONLY $20!
Victoria said:
Now that is my way of dealing with the issue, not dealing with it if I can and praying that the matter will go away. Just make a note to put it back out there so you do not loose out on a real reservation!
copperhead said:
Victoria said:
or raise the whole room rate for that room another $100 on that date haha!

RIki
and this is how cheap he is. The third person is his father in law, too cheap to get him his own room so man, wife and father in law all in one room. Hee Hee

RIki
and this is how cheap he is. The third person is his father in law, too cheap to get him his own room so man, wife and father in law all in one room. Hee Hee
I always find that so weird. I know some people can't leave their older relatives alone in a room by themselves, but when they all seem 'able' when they arrive, well, it's just weird. Like I would want my husband & me to share a room with a parent (from either side!)

Back