Guests Definition of Value

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendydk

Reaction score
In reading over my reviews on bb.com and TA, I notice that guests with pets or a third person (both of which incur a $15.00 nightly surcharge, and both of which are way up this year) are more likely to grade us lower on value than other categories. It's not as though I obsess over a 3 value rating on a 4 overall score, or a 4 value rating on an overall 5 score, but I wonder what exactly they expected for value, and why they would grade it lower when they rate everything else much higher.
Now, I know that we all (or darn near all) charge more for pets and third persons in the rooms..so what gives...are they expecting something for that extra $15 that they're NOT getting?? Is $15 too high? Extra party rooms get tons more amenities and towels, extra bathrobes and wine glasses...I don't get it. People reading the reviews don't know that guest had a third person or a dog, and I don't want them wondering about it. Maybe I'm just OCD and need to chill out, but it bugs me.

"Is $15 too high?"
Try this exercise. Go to a good quality breakfast restaurant and order a full breakfast with all the trimmins' like your place would serve, keep asking the server for more coffee and juice until you can't drink another drop. On your way out, buy a couple of fresh baked cookies from under the glass dome.
A few hours later go back, have several cups of tea and a light cheese plate, some hummus and veggies or guac with salsa and chips.
Later that evening go back again, have some decaf, more cookies and grab a soda for the ride home.
Now, total the three bills and you should find your answer and "value" for just the food you provide.
I'm not even including the comfy bed, the free dayplanning service, the hot tub if available, bathrobes, blow dryers, toiletries, toothbrushes if forgotten at home, razor, feminine products if forgtotten at home, etc. etc. etc.
Our industry is woefully behind on charging what an extra person is worth and none of us can do anything about it, because most of us are too afraid to really look at both the cost to us and the savings our threesomes, familys, etc. are reaping at our expense.

First, $15 is far less than I normally see for the extra guest in a room, much less a pet - you should boost that up IMMHO.
I get this as well, in general, not just those that had extra charges... It is my belief that most people feel they should have gotten far more for the dollar spent especally since they are leaving here with only good memories, not anything physical to remind them of the good time they had. They are not considering the high quality of comfort and good food they had compaired to what they would have had at the Hol-iday Inn for the same rate...

I don't know about the reviews and value.
I charge $25 extra person... sometimes I waive it, but never if they ask me to.... learned that one the hard way!
And we don't take pets.
They should be glad you take them at all!
=)
Kk.

i charged $25 for an additional person in the room ....
can i suggest something radical? how about penning a nice note to the person who left the less than top review ... and posting it as your reponse on ta and bb.com .... thanking them for their review and asking them to drop you a line to please let you know in what way you might improve
keeping in mind that there are people who will never give 5 out of 5 or 4 out of 4 because noplace and nothing is perfect. still, if it is only 3rd guest and pet situations, i'd wonder.

Or do what we do:
1. No third guests. If there is a third person, they may rent another room if it's available.
2. No pets. You know why.
Our rooms stay full. So I don't worry about the people that might have gone elsewhere.

Yeah, we're busy, it's not a matter of being desperate for business. The ADR is really benefitted by the additional charges, and we have room in the one guestroom for a third person. And something REALLY bad would have to happen for me to not accept dogs.
Our reviews are all outstanding, not a negative comment in the bunch. It's just odd that two people paying rack rate in that room rate it a 4 or 5 value and the one with three people rate everything else great or outstanding and the value just a notch lower. Maybe it's being in a room with two other people and all their crap! I know I wouldn't care for it.
I should probably just be grateful for all the great reviews and wonderful guests and the fact that we don't ever have any crummies. Ahhh, elusive perfection!

I charge $20 per extra person and now that it is brought up this way, it is about to change to $35 because an extra person means I have to get out the cot, set it up, wash another set of sheets, and tear it down again. THAT is a lot of work and does not even start with the extra food or showers. It also destroys the ambience of the room.

Yeah, we're busy, it's not a matter of being desperate for business. The ADR is really benefitted by the additional charges, and we have room in the one guestroom for a third person. And something REALLY bad would have to happen for me to not accept dogs.
Our reviews are all outstanding, not a negative comment in the bunch. It's just odd that two people paying rack rate in that room rate it a 4 or 5 value and the one with three people rate everything else great or outstanding and the value just a notch lower. Maybe it's being in a room with two other people and all their crap! I know I wouldn't care for it.
I should probably just be grateful for all the great reviews and wonderful guests and the fact that we don't ever have any crummies. Ahhh, elusive perfection!.
The third person destroys the "feel" of the room. Your rooms are probably set up for 2 people and 1 extra body plus suitcase plus towels plus waiting for a turn at the bathroom or the shower takes away a lot of the warm feeling.
Perhaps a response of could you tell me what would have made the stay better for the 3 of you? That would tip to the fact there was an extra body in the room. Either that or forget it. Value is so subjective. Having a box of Kleenex run out is enough to give a bad value review to some.....

We do it this way and we really only have one room that will accommodate more than two people so its that room or two separate rooms.
Its the suite we steer all families and more than twosomes. Its second bedroom has one queen bed in it and a queen futon that can be turned into a bed if really needed.
We do get some not romantically linked friends who don't want to share a bed and this option has morethan paid for itself.
Off season - 11/1 to 4/30: $20 under 16 per night - $30 over 16 per night
In season - 5/1 to 10/31: $25 under 16 per night - $37.50 over 16 per night
Basically its a gimme for the most part, but you can't scare those size parties away because they are more common than one would think.

OK, I have to think that it is due to the fact that our rooms are not overly large, as the house is not very big. While that room is the largest and offers a queen and twin daybed, it has the smallest bathroom in the house. So I changed the wording on the website to say:

Room rate based on one or two persons
Maximum Occupancy - 3 People (who really like each other as will be a tight squeeze)
$15 per night additional for third person

As for pet people, I have always had the impression that they thought there should be no charge....considering that few Inns in our area offer room for a third person or a pet, I think I'll just live with imperfection!
Thanks to everyone for their comments!

We are going on vacation and there is a per night pet charge, it is standard drill. People who feign surprise are lying to you! Extra person fee, pet charge, youbetchya!

Little Blue it is the same when you get a review and they put value "Good" or :Mediocre"
not great and you upgraded them a $40 free upgrade, now that is just a slap in the face right there!

We are going on vacation and there is a per night pet charge, it is standard drill. People who feign surprise are lying to you! Extra person fee, pet charge, youbetchya!.
Often they are just people who don't want to pay a kennel fee for the pet; which last time I checked was a minimum of $12 a day and that was a few years ago.

I get this a lot. Loved everything but the 'value' score is never 5. One woman who spent the entire breakfast complaining about how much she had to pay for all the 'add ons' at a hotel and all of those things were included in my price, which was MUCH lower than that hotel had charged her just for the room, marked us a '3' for value and everything else was a '5'.
I'd love to know what ELSE she expected for the price. I don't advertise my inn as any kind of luxury, romantic, upscale anything.

We are going on vacation and there is a per night pet charge, it is standard drill. People who feign surprise are lying to you! Extra person fee, pet charge, youbetchya!.
Often they are just people who don't want to pay a kennel fee for the pet; which last time I checked was a minimum of $12 a day and that was a few years ago.
SweetiePie said:
I had a long time guest request to bring her dog once. We DO take pets. I said that was fine and the dog fee was (at the time) $20 (one time, not every night) and she about had a cow. She wanted to know if I was going to be feeding the dog filet mignon every night and that it was only $7 to leave the dog at the kennel. OK, then leave the dog at the kennel, which she did and that was her last visit here. 20 years she had been coming here and the $20 fee put her over the edge. It was, for her, the last straw. I still do not know what other straws were in that pack she was hauling around but she and her family were the most stressful guests everytime they came here. I've heard enough guest relations speakers say you should try to find out what caused guests/clients/customers to move on, but I was relieved.
But that is the biggest complaint about the pet fee...that there IS a pet fee. I am not going to explain to guests why there is a fee because then they want to tell me how clean and well-behaved their pet is. It is what it is.

We charge $25 for an extra person. We have 2 rooms that can accommodate more than 2 people. I get push back from folks wanting to put 4 people in our room with 2 Queen beds. It is a large room but it would be tight in the bathroom. I want people to be comfortable so I NEVER allow 4 persons in there. The 2 Queen bed set up is really more for people that don't want to share or if there's a teenager or something.
I would raise your extra person charge....$15 is a huge bargain. Just my 2 cents....

We charge $25 for an extra person. We have 2 rooms that can accommodate more than 2 people. I get push back from folks wanting to put 4 people in our room with 2 Queen beds. It is a large room but it would be tight in the bathroom. I want people to be comfortable so I NEVER allow 4 persons in there. The 2 Queen bed set up is really more for people that don't want to share or if there's a teenager or something.
I would raise your extra person charge....$15 is a huge bargain. Just my 2 cents.....
Samster said:
I get push back from folks wanting to put 4 people in our room with 2 Queen beds. It is a large room but it would be tight in the bathroom. I want people to be comfortable so I NEVER allow 4 persons in there.
I don't understand this. (I guess I'd be one of the ones pushing back...) They're not all in the bathroom at the same time, so how would a small bathroom matter?
=)
Kk.

I would raise your extra person charge....$15 is a huge bargain. Just my 2 cents.....
Samster said:
I get push back from folks wanting to put 4 people in our room with 2 Queen beds. It is a large room but it would be tight in the bathroom. I want people to be comfortable so I NEVER allow 4 persons in there.
I don't understand this. (I guess I'd be one of the ones pushing back...) They're not all in the bathroom at the same time, so how would a small bathroom matter?
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
I don't understand this. (I guess I'd be one of the ones pushing back...) They're not all in the bathroom at the same time, so how would a small bathroom matter?=)
Kk.
It matters to me - It is an environmnet that I like having at my B&B.
I won't have four in a room with one bathroom. That is stressing my well and my septic.
Charging an extra $50 per person is not worth the potential harm.
Plus, I don't want four suitcases and multiple hand carries in each room. Even though my rooms are very large. I just don't want the additional wear and tear. I put a lot of money into my rooms and I don't want people crammed into them.
Finally, I am set up for guests to enjoy the rooms, I hope to offer luxuries they don't have at home, including walking the woods and the vineyard. Cramming 4 into a room makes for a "feel" and experience that I would call "dorm room" or "youth hostel". I enjoyed that kind of traveling in my 20s. I'm somewhere else now.
Riki

Samster said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Samster said:
=)
Kk.
I'll take a shot at this one as we have a room we do allow 4 adult guests into. Four adults sharing a bathroom gets to be too much for the bathroom! We've had guests start showering at 6 AM and not be finished until 8 AM because all of them are getting in the shower. What that means is that another room is being shorted on THEIR hot water. 4 adults are much harder on a room than 2 adults.
I can see your traveling with the kids, but like Samster said, it's her place and she's not comfortable with that many adults in the room. What we get are folks wanting to push the 4 person limit to 5 because 'they don't care'.

Back