Guests don't want to pay

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Interesting problem here. Had guests check-in earlier who did not want to pay on check-in. They asked a lot of questions that indicated to hubs they are not in the town they thought they were booking in. They left earlier on, presumably to go check out the other town we think they meant to book in. They were asking of the other town had hotels. This ought to be interesting later on...

uh...doesn't matter. You reserved the room for them and turned away all other guests for that room.

uh...doesn't matter. You reserved the room for them and turned away all other guests for that room..
Samster said:
uh...doesn't matter. You reserved the room for them and turned away all other guests for that room.
Yeah, but she gets those pesky higher fees for not swiping their card.

uh...doesn't matter. You reserved the room for them and turned away all other guests for that room..
Samster said:
Proud Texan said:
Samster said:
Oh no, we swiped the card alright. We explained it's too hard to do the check-in in the morning when everyone is eating. They handed over the card. Because they did not leave right away when I had a chance of rebooking that room tonight, SOL ami.

Samster said:
Proud Texan said:
Samster said:
Oh no, we swiped the card alright. We explained it's too hard to do the check-in in the morning when everyone is eating. They handed over the card. Because they did not leave right away when I had a chance of rebooking that room tonight, SOL ami.
I don't even think you have to justify why you charge the guests at check-in. It really makes no difference since they are responsible for paying for the room. I would just tell them it's your standard procedure. (In a nice way of course.)
So, did they take all their stuff with them and leave? Or you're not sure? Was this just a one night stay?

Samster said:
Proud Texan said:
Samster said:
I don't even think you have to justify why you charge the guests at check-in. It really makes no difference since they are responsible for paying for the room. I would just tell them it's your standard procedure. (In a nice way of course.)
So, did they take all their stuff with them and leave? Or you're not sure? Was this just a one night stay?
One night but I don't know if they left their stuff in their room or not. They have been going in and out of the front door (open until 9 PM, no lock).

So they've been in and out, they allowed you to swipe their card and they have access to the house.
Sounds like a checked in, paying guest to me.
Were they walk ins to begin with or did they book even a day in advance?
The ol' "Oh sorry, we thought we were in France, not Belgium" line wouldn't go very far here.
You've seen the place, you've unloaded stuff, you've given us your payment information, you've been granted access to the house, you're a guest. Not much gray area there for me.
Either decide now to get on with consummating the stay or help yourself to finding where you really belong.

Back