Guests from New York

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trishany

Reaction score
Are the best. They appreciate the sheets, the gourmet breakfast, the quietness, the saints, etc. Wish all our guests were from New York.
You have to have a very, high-class B&B to make them happy.

Please keep them. When they come here they are, for the most part, PITAs.

Please keep them. When they come here they are, for the most part, PITAs..
Why would you say they are PITA 's?
Most of the time it is because they are so stressed by the crap they deal with everyday that they don't take a moment to think maybe other people live differently. One couple this morning came to breakfast when all the tables were full. He walks up to me and says, 'What do we have to do to get breakfast around here?' You know the tone.
Because I know the tone and I know the type, I showed him where the coffee was, said to help himself and tried to calm him down so he could realize that he wasn't going to starve, there was plenty of food and he might have to wait a minute while others finished up.
2 groups heard him and immediately stood up and said, 'We're done, you can have our table.'
Still not getting it, they ran over to sit down, opened up their newspapers and proceeded to ignore everyone else around them.
Yes, they are VERY appreciative of the amenities but they sometimes behave like they have to fight for everything. Even breakfast. Or a cup of coffee.

Most of the time it is because they are so stressed by the crap they deal with everyday that they don't take a moment to think maybe other people live differently. One couple this morning came to breakfast when all the tables were full. He walks up to me and says, 'What do we have to do to get breakfast around here?' You know the tone.
Because I know the tone and I know the type, I showed him where the coffee was, said to help himself and tried to calm him down so he could realize that he wasn't going to starve, there was plenty of food and he might have to wait a minute while others finished up.
2 groups heard him and immediately stood up and said, 'We're done, you can have our table.'
Still not getting it, they ran over to sit down, opened up their newspapers and proceeded to ignore everyone else around them.
Yes, they are VERY appreciative of the amenities but they sometimes behave like they have to fight for everything. Even breakfast. Or a cup of coffee.
And how do they differ from OTHER guests?

trishany said:
The stress level they walk thru the door with. Maybe driving 6 hours here instead of 2 hours to you makes them grumpier. Who knows.
And the majority of our OTHER guests don't pop the newspaper open at the breakfast table and ignore everyone around them, including the person trying to serve their breakfast.

Oh, Trisha, My OTHER guests come to breakfast mostly on time and are so appreciative of the breakfast I made and are not telling me how everything is the world is and should be and what I am supposed to think.... Most of the guests I have had from NYC have been know-it-all and in your face.
I hope you get some guests from the hinterlands to know the difference. Thankfully, I am far enough away, that I do not get many of that kind. We have had a few who were great - like the couple from Staten Island who stayed on the way to their destination in Nashville (found out it was their second B & B and we were the first) and here again on the way back. As he got out of the car on the return, I heard him say - it feels so good to be home again. Unfortunately, they were the exception.

Never, ever, had a problem. MOST of our guests are from NYC. I think there is a stereotype here on this forum of guests from NYC.. Well, I don't guess, I KNOW from the responses.
I can't put my finger on it, but it's very near to envy? jealousy?
Maybe it's that great feeling of togetherness after 9/11 that we all feel so close to each other (believe me, it's a very great feeling)
Most leave their one bedroom, small apts, with traffic blaring all the time, and stay with us for a peaceful weekend. We supply a quiet room, egyptian cotton sheets, a serene atmosphere, and a huge, delish breakfast.
If you can't supply the above to New Yorkers, then I wouldn't book them. The best deserves the best.

Oh, Trisha, My OTHER guests come to breakfast mostly on time and are so appreciative of the breakfast I made and are not telling me how everything is the world is and should be and what I am supposed to think.... Most of the guests I have had from NYC have been know-it-all and in your face.
I hope you get some guests from the hinterlands to know the difference. Thankfully, I am far enough away, that I do not get many of that kind. We have had a few who were great - like the couple from Staten Island who stayed on the way to their destination in Nashville (found out it was their second B & B and we were the first) and here again on the way back. As he got out of the car on the return, I heard him say - it feels so good to be home again. Unfortunately, they were the exception.
Oh, gillum, for goodness sakes, come on!

Never, ever, had a problem. MOST of our guests are from NYC. I think there is a stereotype here on this forum of guests from NYC.. Well, I don't guess, I KNOW from the responses.
Maybe it's that great feeling of togetherness after 9/11 that we all feel so close to each other (believe me, it's a very great feeling)
Most leave their one bedroom, small apts, with traffic blaring all the time, and stay with us for a peaceful weekend. We supply a quiet room, egyptian cotton sheets, a serene atmosphere, and a huge, delish breakfast.
If you can't supply the above to New Yorkers, then I wouldn't book them. The best deserves the best.
You forget I'm a NYer. It takes me all of 5 seconds to pull the accent back out of wherever it hides when a NYer walks thru the door. They love me. They adore being able to talk 'NY' with someone. They have a kindred spirit here. But don't dare ignore me when I'm talking. If they don't want to wear their breakfast, they'd better pay attention to me. Put the paper down and answer what kind of juice you want. If they want to read the paper, they should go to Starbucks for breakfast.
Most of my NY guests live on Central Park. And not in tiny, cramped apts. Does the Dakota ring a bell? Guests here for 4 days live there. One floor down from Yoko Ono.

trishany said:
The stress level they walk thru the door with. Maybe driving 6 hours here instead of 2 hours to you makes them grumpier. Who knows.
And the majority of our OTHER guests don't pop the newspaper open at the breakfast table and ignore everyone around them, including the person trying to serve their breakfast.
Bree, I wish I could read everyone's stress level. That's a very, very good sense you have.
Are you talking about one couple from NY who ignored you at the breakfast table? or ALL couples from NY. Exactly HOW many couples from NY do you base your opininions on ?
I'm never ignored at the breakfast table. I think that's a personal problem.
Sorry to address this to you. But you are the only poster with the brass you know what to answer (as of yet). .

A one bedroom small apt is the best? Excuse me. Us stump-jumpers would not settle for a small one-bedroom apt. No, even our camps (which means a hunting camp) which might be a camper are located on or near a mountaintop or on several acres of land. Most of us own our homes and are respectful of our neighbors. I remember the time a lady turned the corner by my house and stopped to ask what kind of flower that was and the car that turned tight behind her just sat and waited for her t move on - no blowing horn or flashing lights, just waited. It is not unusual for an on-coming car to stop to let someone turn left. And I do believe I would be willing to stack the comfort level of our WV B & Bs and our cooking and amenities to anyone elses - even in New york. I am downtown myself, but it is so quiet I may as well be out in the country.
I really do not want to startle you or upset you, but there is an awful lot of land, rivers, lakes, scenery, and wonderful places to visit beyond the borders of New York. Why upstate New York is absolutely beautiful and very peaceful - I know first-hand having been there at least 4 times. I even spent a wonderful weekend in NYC with 2 friends a couple years ago, one I will never forget because it was the last time I got to go somewhere with that gradeschool classmate. She died in April of the cancer she was dealing with during that trip - we knew it was our last!.

trishany said:
Bree, I wish I could read everyone's stress level. That's a very, very good sense you have.
Are you talking about one couple from NY who ignored you at the breakfast table? or ALL couples from NY. Exactly HOW many couples from NY do you base your opininions on ?
I'm never ignored at the breakfast table. I think that's a personal problem.
Sorry to address this to you. But you are the only poster with the brass you know what to answer (as of yet). .
Sorry it took so long to answer you. I may be a stump-jumper but I learned a long time ago - at my Mama's knee that is - that class does not have to be talked about. It either is or it isn't and that them what has class do not need to talk about it. Class just oozes around them and is recognized by all.

A one bedroom small apt is the best? Excuse me. Us stump-jumpers would not settle for a small one-bedroom apt. No, even our camps (which means a hunting camp) which might be a camper are located on or near a mountaintop or on several acres of land. Most of us own our homes and are respectful of our neighbors. I remember the time a lady turned the corner by my house and stopped to ask what kind of flower that was and the car that turned tight behind her just sat and waited for her t move on - no blowing horn or flashing lights, just waited. It is not unusual for an on-coming car to stop to let someone turn left. And I do believe I would be willing to stack the comfort level of our WV B & Bs and our cooking and amenities to anyone elses - even in New york. I am downtown myself, but it is so quiet I may as well be out in the country.
I really do not want to startle you or upset you, but there is an awful lot of land, rivers, lakes, scenery, and wonderful places to visit beyond the borders of New York. Why upstate New York is absolutely beautiful and very peaceful - I know first-hand having been there at least 4 times. I even spent a wonderful weekend in NYC with 2 friends a couple years ago, one I will never forget because it was the last time I got to go somewhere with that gradeschool classmate. She died in April of the cancer she was dealing with during that trip - we knew it was our last!.
gillum, I think you misread my post.
DH and I lived upstate for 10 years -- the most beautiful foliage to be seen. We cleared 2 acres of trees by ourselves and built our first home there -- by ourselves.
I'm missing the point of your post.

You forget I'm a NYer. It takes me all of 5 seconds to pull the accent back out of wherever it hides when a NYer walks thru the door. They love me. They adore being able to talk 'NY' with someone. They have a kindred spirit here. But don't dare ignore me when I'm talking. If they don't want to wear their breakfast, they'd better pay attention to me. Put the paper down and answer what kind of juice you want. If they want to read the paper, they should go to Starbucks for breakfast.
Most of my NY guests live on Central Park. And not in tiny, cramped apts. Does the Dakota ring a bell? Guests here for 4 days live there. One floor down from Yoko Ono.
All I'm saying is that you shouldn't be so hard on New Yorkers.
They are the best and deserve the best.
We have Starbuck's coffee brewing here every morning.

trishany said:
Most leave their one bedroom, small apts, with traffic blaring all the time, and stay with us for a peaceful eeling)
weekend. We supply a quiet room, egyptian cotton sheets, a serene atmosphere, and a huge, delish breakfast.
Trishany, So in essence, you are saying people in NY are better than any of us who live elsewhere?????????!!!!!!!!!!
angry_smile.gif
angry_smile.gif
Bad enough to basically be called psychotic by you, but now you are saying you are better???

ALL guests deserve the best we can give them ...
i have had great guests from all over, no favorite locations.
jealous of people from nyc? why would i be? i get very nervous in busy traffic and in crowds. i am not much for movies and theatres and big stores. i don't envy that lifestyle at all. i prefer the quiet, country life ... especially if i can climb into my little boat and sail away.

ALL guests deserve the best we can give them ...
i have had great guests from all over, no favorite locations.
jealous of people from nyc? why would i be? i get very nervous in busy traffic and in crowds. i am not much for movies and theatres and big stores. i don't envy that lifestyle at all. i prefer the quiet, country life ... especially if i can climb into my little boat and sail away..
We've had guests now from coast to coast & in between. All GREAT guests! We had some wonderful guests that were born & bred New Yorkers & got out of NYC as soon as they could - they live just North of us and have a lifestyle now that they never could have afforded there.
People all over this country have survived different kinds of terrible massive tragedies - and they ALL deserve the very best that we can give them.
Am I jealous of folks that live in NYC? - nope, I can get on a plane or train and visit Manhatten (which I've done a few times) and then come back home to my quiet Southern town.
regular_smile.gif
My dh grew up on Long Island and is delighted that he got the chance to live in so many other great places all over this United States.

Truly NOT trying to be snotty this morning, but was the purpose of this post to point out that you have a "very, high class B&B" because you made them happy? Just curious!

Back