Guests in the kitchen...cooking

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only had guest use my kitchen once - a crazy woman - no really she was loco! Her story would go on for ever! We have a guest refridge, microwave & coffee / tea service in a common area on the 2nd floor near all our guest rooms. In all these years I can only recall one burnt popcorn. Yuck! Since, Ihave a air cleaner in the area to remove odors.
I agree with Samster, buy a microwave for the bar area. I also like the idea of a folding screen or room divider, something easy to fold out of your way. There are so many these days. You could get one that hold pictures - and place guest pictures in them or pictures of the town, or your breakfast dishes.

do you have a guest microwave? we do, purchased at home depot about 6 years ago. small, electric green .... little monster but it works great and they love it.
i can't find the pictures of your kitchen and where guests get their own coffee ....
seashanty said:
do you have a guest microwave? we do, purchased at home depot about 6 years ago. small, electric green .... little monster but it works great and they love it.
i can't find the pictures of your kitchen and where guests get their own coffee ...
No guest micro. I know all the hotels have mini kitchens now but I seriously do NOT want to be cleaning up guest micro messes before I can start brekkie in the morning. And there's not much worse than burnt food smells greeting everyone. Plus, one guest burns something, the next guest who wants to use the micro then thinks I'm a slob and don't keep a tidy inn.
Sorry, didn't mean to gripe, I just don't want 'one more thing' to clean. I want guests to respect the boundaries. I'll try to find a pic to post...
This pic (if it uploads) is taken standing in the dining room looking at the 'breakfast bar' where guests can get coffee/tea anytime. I put the snacks on the counter. Right behind that is my kitchen. Most guests see the visual boundary of the island and stop there. Silverware, plates, all the glasses, mugs, wine glasses, etc are all RIGHT there on the shelf to the left.
Never mind, I can't figure out how to post a picture.
Here's the link to the website with the pix.
DSCN0331.JPG

The 3rd pic down on the right is a good shot of both the guest area and the kitchen.
I know you don't want to clean something else, but it seems like it would be less aggravation to have a guest microwave on your guest service island. Plus, you can pick them up relatively cheaply. I would bite the bullet & put one there for the guests who are tempted to go into the B&B kitchen area AND I would put a tent sign on top of it that said this is for guest use and the health department prohibits guests from using anything in the inn kitchen. Period, end of story. I'd also reconsider some kind of folding screen at least that you could put as a barrier in the evening between the island and your kitchen.
Knock on wood, no one has breached our swinging door into the kitchen from the dining room yet. So, I guess the "private" signs are working.
It's probably not so much the micro as the fact they had to have gone in the fridge to get the eggs they cooked. Which could have meant that there wasn't enough food for breakfast depending on what we were making and what they decided to eat and how many of them were cooking. The whole reunion crowd came in around 1 AM and that was 8 guests right there. (They didn't tell us when they booked that they were one group or we could have done things differently.)
I have a spare micro that we would put out for a whole house booking. I need the counter for things other than to keep rude guests out of the kitchen.
regular_smile.gif

Part of the problem is that to get water for the teapot they need to get into the kitchen. Even if I fill it before I go to bed, it is sometimes empty in the morning. Another part of the problem is that I'm just too damn stubborn. I spent how much money to make that guest service area sans micro because I just don't think I need to provide ALL the comforts of home!

i can't find the pictures of your kitchen and where guests get their own coffee ....
seashanty said:
i can't find the pictures of your kitchen and where guests get their own coffee ...
No guest micro. I know all the hotels have mini kitchens now but I seriously do NOT want to be cleaning up guest micro messes before I can start brekkie in the morning. And there's not much worse than burnt food smells greeting everyone. Plus, one guest burns something, the next guest who wants to use the micro then thinks I'm a slob and don't keep a tidy inn.
Sorry, didn't mean to gripe, I just don't want 'one more thing' to clean. I want guests to respect the boundaries. I'll try to find a pic to post...
This pic (if it uploads) is taken standing in the dining room looking at the 'breakfast bar' where guests can get coffee/tea anytime. I put the snacks on the counter. Right behind that is my kitchen. Most guests see the visual boundary of the island and stop there. Silverware, plates, all the glasses, mugs, wine glasses, etc are all RIGHT there on the shelf to the left.
DSCN0331.JPG

The 3rd pic down on the right is a good shot of both the guest area and the kitchen.
I know you don't want to clean something else, but it seems like it would be less aggravation to have a guest microwave on your guest service island. Plus, you can pick them up relatively cheaply. I would bite the bullet & put one there for the guests who are tempted to go into the B&B kitchen area AND I would put a tent sign on top of it that said this is for guest use and the health department prohibits guests from using anything in the inn kitchen. Period, end of story. I'd also reconsider some kind of folding screen at least that you could put as a barrier in the evening between the island and your kitchen.
Knock on wood, no one has breached our swinging door into the kitchen from the dining room yet. So, I guess the "private" signs are working.
It's probably not so much the micro as the fact they had to have gone in the fridge to get the eggs they cooked. Which could have meant that there wasn't enough food for breakfast depending on what we were making and what they decided to eat and how many of them were cooking. The whole reunion crowd came in around 1 AM and that was 8 guests right there. (They didn't tell us when they booked that they were one group or we could have done things differently.)
I have a spare micro that we would put out for a whole house booking. I need the counter for things other than to keep rude guests out of the kitchen.
regular_smile.gif

Part of the problem is that to get water for the teapot they need to get into the kitchen. Even if I fill it before I go to bed, it is sometimes empty in the morning. Another part of the problem is that I'm just too damn stubborn. I spent how much money to make that guest service area sans micro because I just don't think I need to provide ALL the comforts of home!
OK...tough love here. Suck it up & give the guests what they want :) How much room does a small microwave take up? It will give you less aggravation in the long run and the guests will be happy. For your water kettle - can you put a jug of water somewhere nearby? Or a nice pitcher of water? Anything to keep them out of your kitchen! I have to say that NO ONE has abused my stashes of stuff that I use to replenish the beverages in our guest service area. They might be peeking to see what's in there (I would have no way of knowing, but they're not taking anything). I keep the fridge pretty well stocked with Cokes & bottled water.
The more stuff that you anticipate that they need, the less they will bug you. Of course, it was very cheeky to take your eggs out of the fridge. Do you have a sign on the fridge that says, "If you want breakfast in the morning, do not take any of this food!!"?? haha!

Only had guest use my kitchen once - a crazy woman - no really she was loco! Her story would go on for ever! We have a guest refridge, microwave & coffee / tea service in a common area on the 2nd floor near all our guest rooms. In all these years I can only recall one burnt popcorn. Yuck! Since, Ihave a air cleaner in the area to remove odors.
I agree with Samster, buy a microwave for the bar area. I also like the idea of a folding screen or room divider, something easy to fold out of your way. There are so many these days. You could get one that hold pictures - and place guest pictures in them or pictures of the town, or your breakfast dishes..
That's a great idea about a divider that holds pictures. I'm trying to remember where I saw one like that. hmmm... I bought a really nice folding screen for a guest room at World Market...it was like $70. Very sturdy, also.

seashanty said:
DSCN0331.JPG

regular_smile.gif

OK...tough love here. Suck it up & give the guests what they want :) How much room does a small microwave take up? It will give you less aggravation in the long run and the guests will be happy. For your water kettle - can you put a jug of water somewhere nearby? Or a nice pitcher of water? Anything to keep them out of your kitchen! I have to say that NO ONE has abused my stashes of stuff that I use to replenish the beverages in our guest service area. They might be peeking to see what's in there (I would have no way of knowing, but they're not taking anything). I keep the fridge pretty well stocked with Cokes & bottled water.
The more stuff that you anticipate that they need, the less they will bug you. Of course, it was very cheeky to take your eggs out of the fridge. Do you have a sign on the fridge that says, "If you want breakfast in the morning, do not take any of this food!!"?? haha!
No. I still think I don't want the aggro involved in providing a micro. It takes up 20" of countertop that then cannot be used for anything else. Makes it crowded and too sloppy looking. Plus, then I have to provide microwaveabe plates, paper products, etc. Along with directions on how to use the micro. Which then leads the considerate to go into the kitchen to get cleaning supplies should they make a mess. Ahhhhhhhhhh, it never ends!
And then that increases how much space they need in the fridge for 'supplies'. Frozen entrees, leftover pizza, baby food, the list is endless.
Oh well, that's just me. My guess is more guests than I know HAVE used the micro late at night and I just haven't heard them and they have left things mostly tidy.
I do know I get guests who are irate that I do not provide them with the 'basic necessities'. One mother said that when we told her she couldn't use the kitchen to prep food for her baby. I do mention in a couple of places on the website that there is no kitchen access.
I'm eventualy going to lose this one, I know.
tounge_smile.gif

seashanty said:
DSCN0331.JPG

regular_smile.gif

No. I still think I don't want the aggro involved in providing a micro. It takes up 20" of countertop that then cannot be used for anything else. Makes it crowded and too sloppy looking. Plus, then I have to provide microwaveabe plates, paper products, etc. Along with directions on how to use the micro. Which then leads the considerate to go into the kitchen to get cleaning supplies should they make a mess. Ahhhhhhhhhh, it never ends!
And then that increases how much space they need in the fridge for 'supplies'. Frozen entrees, leftover pizza, baby food, the list is endless.
Oh well, that's just me. My guess is more guests than I know HAVE used the micro late at night and I just haven't heard them and they have left things mostly tidy.
I do know I get guests who are irate that I do not provide them with the 'basic necessities'. One mother said that when we told her she couldn't use the kitchen to prep food for her baby. I do mention in a couple of places on the website that there is no kitchen access.
tounge_smile.gif

You can get those smaller cube type micros that take up less room (true "dorm" size). Just big enough to heat up a baby bottle or something. You do take kids
confused_smile.gif
I would expect a microwave...sorry. It's not like you're charging $79/night either
teeth_smile.gif

seashanty said:
DSCN0331.JPG

regular_smile.gif

tounge_smile.gif

You can get those smaller cube type micros that take up less room (true "dorm" size). Just big enough to heat up a baby bottle or something. You do take kids
confused_smile.gif
I would expect a microwave...sorry. It's not like you're charging $79/night either
teeth_smile.gif

Samster said:
confused_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif
I have considered it for those who bring back leftovers. I am just limited on space where i can put it. I don't want the dining room turning into a dorm room. But it is a B&B, not my own dining room.

seashanty said:
DSCN0331.JPG

regular_smile.gif

tounge_smile.gif

confused_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

Samster said:
confused_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif
I have considered it for those who bring back leftovers. I am just limited on space where i can put it. I don't want the dining room turning into a dorm room. But it is a B&B, not my own dining room.
Most of the time when people have brought back leftovers here, they toss them the next day. I guess they just feel like they need to bring the rest of their food back. One set of guests asked us to heat up something that they had brought back & they ate it for breakfast!!! (Those were the convention guests.) I guess we're lucky because the people who are here for a longer stay are in our suite with the full kitchen.
I think if you take babies & kids, the microwave would definitely be a welcome amenity.

Let me ask another question...
WHY would you expect a B&B to provide you with all the comforts of home, including a kitchen? Or, DO you expect a B&B to provide you with all the comforts of home?

seashanty said:
DSCN0331.JPG

regular_smile.gif

tounge_smile.gif

confused_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

Samster said:
confused_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif
It's not the price. The price is based on the area. I could be charging $250/night and not have half the amenities I do IF that's what the area commanded. Case in point (my favorite case) is Charleston. Prices there are beyond $200+ and you do not get any of the amenities I provide like 24 hour coffee & tea, guest fridge, snacks, PARKING!, 24 hour on site innkeeper and assorted other 'stuff'.
And yet, the place we stayed on Tybee Island had a guest kitchen with stocked fridge and not nearly the price point Savannah was getting for no guest amenities. And I know some innkeeps on here have WAY lower prices than I do and are providing the world for their guests.
For me it comes down to communication. (This in re kids.) I tell guests who are bringing kids (especially babies) that there is no access to a kitchen for heating ANY foods of any kind including bottes or jars of baby food. I say we can heat things in the morning for them, but that there is no access in the evening.
BTW, great discussion. I have a lot to think about!

seashanty said:
DSCN0331.JPG

regular_smile.gif

tounge_smile.gif

confused_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

Samster said:
confused_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif
It's not the price. The price is based on the area. I could be charging $250/night and not have half the amenities I do IF that's what the area commanded. Case in point (my favorite case) is Charleston. Prices there are beyond $200+ and you do not get any of the amenities I provide like 24 hour coffee & tea, guest fridge, snacks, PARKING!, 24 hour on site innkeeper and assorted other 'stuff'.
And yet, the place we stayed on Tybee Island had a guest kitchen with stocked fridge and not nearly the price point Savannah was getting for no guest amenities. And I know some innkeeps on here have WAY lower prices than I do and are providing the world for their guests.
For me it comes down to communication. (This in re kids.) I tell guests who are bringing kids (especially babies) that there is no access to a kitchen for heating ANY foods of any kind including bottes or jars of baby food. I say we can heat things in the morning for them, but that there is no access in the evening.
No microwave here. Not planning on doing one, either. I have the hot water kettle with an assortment of teas, hot chocolate, instant coffees and I put cookies out in the afternoon. When they're gone, they're gone.
I don't expect one in my room - the only reason I really like one is so I don't have to use the in-room coffeemaker to heat water for tea - it always tastes like coffee that way. I don't expect to be able to nuke stuff while I'm on vacation at a B&B - only if it were a cottage rental. Price point isn't the difference - the difference is the kind of rental I'm doing.

seashanty said:
DSCN0331.JPG

regular_smile.gif

tounge_smile.gif

confused_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

Samster said:
confused_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif
No microwave here. Not planning on doing one, either. I have the hot water kettle with an assortment of teas, hot chocolate, instant coffees and I put cookies out in the afternoon. When they're gone, they're gone.
I don't expect one in my room - the only reason I really like one is so I don't have to use the in-room coffeemaker to heat water for tea - it always tastes like coffee that way. I don't expect to be able to nuke stuff while I'm on vacation at a B&B - only if it were a cottage rental. Price point isn't the difference - the difference is the kind of rental I'm doing.
muirford said:
But the difference is IF YOU HAD guests going into your kitchen all the time, you might do it differently.
Either 1) they were unable to do what they needed as guests so they break the boundaries (reheat a cup of coffee or baby bottle). 2) the kitchen is way accessable and appears to be for guests. 3) your clientele needs more than what you have provided, so you need to add a few things like microwave, guest cutlery/plates (or whatever suits your area and guest needs).
By doing this it will eliminate them having to ask for things all the time a) can I please use your microwave to reheat this. b) can I borrow some cutlery and a plate. etc etc.
What I WANT is for guests to stay here more than one night. To do that they may require some little extras - guests DO have leftovers, they do have heating pads that they microwave like a rice pack etc. But I draw the line at in room coffee makers and things that clutter up the place and require too much cleaning - more effort than they are worth.

seashanty said:
DSCN0331.JPG

regular_smile.gif

tounge_smile.gif

confused_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

Samster said:
confused_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif
Oh my, kids, our first kids (and the last) are coming in a few weeks, I didn't consider that besides that we do not carry and will not carry the beds and the chairs and anything else that was suggested that we might purchase, what about the food. :s
I have no idea what they will want or do about the food. I guess we will heat/nuke it for them. ee jole ... we will not be bullied into taking guests with kids again. The no kids will mean no kids and that would include you ... no execeptions.
I think guests with small kids should pay double!! They are already feeling to be twice the work and they haven't arrived yet :(

seashanty said:
DSCN0331.JPG

regular_smile.gif

tounge_smile.gif

confused_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

Samster said:
confused_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif
Oh my, kids, our first kids (and the last) are coming in a few weeks, I didn't consider that besides that we do not carry and will not carry the beds and the chairs and anything else that was suggested that we might purchase, what about the food. :s
I have no idea what they will want or do about the food. I guess we will heat/nuke it for them. ee jole ... we will not be bullied into taking guests with kids again. The no kids will mean no kids and that would include you ... no execeptions.
I think guests with small kids should pay double!! They are already feeling to be twice the work and they haven't arrived yet :(
Cathy said:
That would be interesting... a sliding scale $$ for the amount of work each individual guest room causes. Unfortunately we can't operate that way, and it all comes out in the wash anyway.

seashanty said:
DSCN0331.JPG

regular_smile.gif

tounge_smile.gif

confused_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

Samster said:
confused_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif
muirford said:
But the difference is IF YOU HAD guests going into your kitchen all the time, you might do it differently.
Either 1) they were unable to do what they needed as guests so they break the boundaries (reheat a cup of coffee or baby bottle). 2) the kitchen is way accessable and appears to be for guests. 3) your clientele needs more than what you have provided, so you need to add a few things like microwave, guest cutlery/plates (or whatever suits your area and guest needs).
By doing this it will eliminate them having to ask for things all the time a) can I please use your microwave to reheat this. b) can I borrow some cutlery and a plate. etc etc.
What I WANT is for guests to stay here more than one night. To do that they may require some little extras - guests DO have leftovers, they do have heating pads that they microwave like a rice pack etc. But I draw the line at in room coffee makers and things that clutter up the place and require too much cleaning - more effort than they are worth.
Two thoughts:
As an innkeeper, I can count on one hand the number of times I have been asked to nuke something for a guest. It just doesn't happen that often, to me. I don't know why, there are leftovers brought back from the myriad of restaurants in town, but I don't get that question. One reason I don't provide a microwave is that eating out is part of the package here in my town. Occasionally folks take silver or wineglasses from the dining rooms, but even that is not a frequent occurrence.
Bree asked about my expectations, and I really don't expect a microwave to be available to me at a B&B. Of course, I really like to eat out when I'm on vacation - to me that's part of my experience and I like to try local joints for lunch and dinner. If I'm on an extended trip, having a fridge is nice so I can keep something cold in it, and maybe we'll get lunchmeat for sandwiches occasionally, but even in a house rental I don't usually use the microwave for anything more than hot tea.

seashanty said:
DSCN0331.JPG

regular_smile.gif

tounge_smile.gif

confused_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

Samster said:
confused_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif
Cathy said:
That would be interesting... a sliding scale $$ for the amount of work each individual guest room causes. Unfortunately we can't operate that way, and it all comes out in the wash anyway.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
and it all comes out in the wash anyway.
Yeah, We HOPE it comes out in the wash.
wink_smile.gif

See!
One year anniversary. They brought their Bride and Groom top section of their wedding cake she had frozen to eat tonight. I love stuff like this.

i can't read the other posts because there is one word per line and it's making me nuts.
bottom line ... microwave or not ... the guests should NOT be rootling around in your kitchen and they know this. unless they are dense! using your microwave is one thing. going into your cupboards and/or fridge and helping themselves is quite another thing and they should know better. and leaving food in the microwave is basically leaving garbage around and is just plain rude!
right there on your little counter near the lamp you can fit a mini microwave. and you need a little sign saying just what you say in that link (' Sorry - no guests allowed in (main) kitchen ' )
i use card stock and fold it in thirds to make tents and i have little signs around. sign, sign, everywhere a sign! sorry, but you have to tell and retell some folks.
when you are not there, when you go to bed at night, a pretty folding screen or barrier (i love the idea of the bank or theater rope!) right in the way should drive it home that they can't go beyond that guest counter. i know it's a nuisance for you, but better than finding guests have helped themselves to your food!!!! if it was me, i'd be using ship rope (by the sea and all)
i do things i don't like to do ... because of my setup .... like stashing ALL my private belongings where it is inconvenient because rude guests have helped themselves to my personal things if you recall. cleaned me out of a few things that first year. a darn nuisance for me but better than the alternative.
(hugs)
~m*

Let me ask another question...
WHY would you expect a B&B to provide you with all the comforts of home, including a kitchen? Or, DO you expect a B&B to provide you with all the comforts of home?.
Good question! I don't expect all the comforts of home at a B&B but I do expect certain things for the price. I know that your rates are comparable to others in your area. Charleston prices at B&Bs? They're ridiculous. That's why we won't stay at one there. We might stay at one during the off season. I have only so much $$$ to spend on a vacation
regular_smile.gif
Same thing with some of the B&Bs in the Asheville, NC area.
I guess I was just trying to say that since you have families and kids staying with you, things like a microwave would be appreciated by your guests. And if you had it in the guest area, maybe they'd respect the boundaries better.
I also go back to a comment made by one of our recent guests who told us that we were meeting their expectations of what was included at a B&B
regular_smile.gif
(They got really chatting with my dh...former New Yorkers. haha!) They had been disappointed by some other places where they were not offered similar amenities for a similar price. I think people are really conscious of what their dollars are buying now. Did those folks use all our amenities? No, they did not.

I bet since your dining room is open to your kitchen your guests assume it's ok to use it? Even if they did feel it was OK they should at the very least clean up their mess! How do you keep future guests from doing the same thing?.
Hubs wants to put a velvet rope between the counters. You saw the kitchen, you know how open it is. My guess is it was the late arrivals who we didn't meet so we couldn't give them the speech.
I'm thinking some sort of sign on the counter might help. And I guess we go back to using the baby locks on the cupboards.
A velvet rope!!! so funny. We've had one or two couples that will help themselves to the kitchen.
We installed doors and placed a sign on them that says "private". Most couples respect this. I'm sorry I didn't put a sign on there that says "beware of big dogs".

Back