Guests of Guests - Welcome or not??

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperhead

Reaction score
This is the season I have the most issues with Guests bringing guests to the B&B to visit. Some I have no problems with, they either ask in advance or come in and introduce their visitors and proceed to their room to chat usually leaving in a respectable time.
But then there are those that have noticed our common areas (indoors and out) and have taken over the areas without regard of other guests or our wishes.
In my random review of other B&B sites I found one that states a policy regarding visitors, do any of you do this? Or how do you handle this, if at all?

We only get this when it is a large group together, or something to do with the college. Then it is horrible...they are slobs, act like they own the whole place and have zero regard for anyone else. When I know I have a group booking I make a point to put "Registered guests of the Inn only" for the house and ground, but it' s not one of our "regular" policies...probably it should be.

the only time I cringed was what the 6-week brought in the last week here!

We've had an issue with this once...the guests weren't even here but they told all their friends to come here to wait for them. They took over the porch, grabbed all the wine glasses and proceeded to have a party. I didn't realize the guests weren't here until I saw them pull in. THEN I was mad.
We don't usually have to say anything. Most people don't 'gather' here, they just pop in, get the other person and head out.
If it's an issue, especially with a pool or hot tub, then I would have it as a policy.
The other annoying one we had was a guy who was waiting for a friend and he polished off the treats and then asked me to make coffee for him. Not happening.
What's annoying is when they all leave their cars here so my guests can't park.

This is the wording from the site I mentioned:
Persons not named, regardless of age, in the reservation are not allowed on premises overnight. Visitors, when accompanied by registered guests, are allowed on premises between 10am and 8pm with prior permission of the innkeepers. Innkeeper reserves the right to limit the number of visitors. Guests are responsible for the behavior and actions of their visitors.
Note: In another area they state they reserve the right to refuse service or evict anyone that compromises any other guest's safety or enjoyment.
This B&B may have had more than its share of additional overnight guests or room parties. I have not had this type of experience but would like to come up with a nicely worded phrase limiting non-registered guests to a minimum time and space. I do have a pool & hot tub that are also a matter to consider, as they are for registered guests only.

Review your liability insurance....possibly there are limitations on the policy as to how many persons in the house, on the property.
Additionly fire codes would allow only certain # of persons per room / building...

This is the wording from the site I mentioned:
Persons not named, regardless of age, in the reservation are not allowed on premises overnight. Visitors, when accompanied by registered guests, are allowed on premises between 10am and 8pm with prior permission of the innkeepers. Innkeeper reserves the right to limit the number of visitors. Guests are responsible for the behavior and actions of their visitors.
Note: In another area they state they reserve the right to refuse service or evict anyone that compromises any other guest's safety or enjoyment.
This B&B may have had more than its share of additional overnight guests or room parties. I have not had this type of experience but would like to come up with a nicely worded phrase limiting non-registered guests to a minimum time and space. I do have a pool & hot tub that are also a matter to consider, as they are for registered guests only..
It's been my contention for a long time that you can tell what kinds of problems innkeepers have had based on what kinds of policies they have.

The only common area we have really is a large lounge but it is rare people sit in it. Sometimes people have a colleague staying somewhere else so have them wait in the lounge while getting papers etc upstairs. Now and again a few ie 3 people have a mini meeting and we do tea or coffee with cookies for a small fee which is fine with me. We had a group in from the salvation army as they have their regional meeting here every other year and they asked prior to arrival if their friends (they had booked 2 rooms with us) who wern't staying in harrogate (ie just in town for the day) could come here and have their sandwiches in their rooms? I said wouldn't you all like to sit together in the lounge? "Oh we hadn't thought of that would it be ok?" they were lovely but all about 100 years old so glad I said to use the lounge as im not sure they would have made it to the bedrooms!

the only time I cringed was what the 6-week brought in the last week here!.
Hey you ...I thought you were on vacation!!! Why are you checking in here? Withdrawl?? HA HA... Hope you are enjoying your trip!
Absolutely withdrawal - plus Fred's girlfriend does not speak English so I try to disappear when they are talking about the day-to-day as in what she wants him to get from the commissary, etc. They are now clearing out the Vomobile (RV) from our jaunt to Neuschwanstein, Munich, and Rothenberg (finally learned how to spell it). then we will spend Sunday morning getting it ready for a wek in London plus Stonehenge. There is not enough room for 3 to work - plus they know what they want to do. It is like a stranger in our kitchen when we are trying to make a breakfast.
Then at the end of our day is the midle of yours and that is when I usually am checking email and chiming in. Today os out of the ordinary.

This are our policies
"Day time visitors are welcome as long as it does not conflicts with other guests' enjoyment of their stay (no parties or receptions allowed without hosts prior approval). No unregistered overnight visitors please"
"All of our suites are strictly for sleeping accommodations. We do not provide space for receptions or parties of any nature"

Hey you ...I thought you were on vacation!!! Why are you checking in here? Withdrawl?? HA HA... Hope you are enjoying your trip!
Absolutely withdrawal - plus Fred's girlfriend does not speak English so I try to disappear when they are talking about the day-to-day as in what she wants him to get from the commissary, etc. They are now clearing out the Vomobile (RV) from our jaunt to Neuschwanstein, Munich, and Rothenberg (finally learned how to spell it). then we will spend Sunday morning getting it ready for a wek in London plus Stonehenge. There is not enough room for 3 to work - plus they know what they want to do. It is like a stranger in our kitchen when we are trying to make a breakfast.
Then at the end of our day is the midle of yours and that is when I usually am checking email and chiming in. Today os out of the ordinary.
You're going to Stonehenge for the summer solstice? Cool! Crowded, but cool!

You're going to Stonehenge for the summer solstice? Cool! Crowded, but cool!
I have no idea. We cross on the 14th and cross back on the 20h. I will mention this to Fred - he may not have thought of that. It could mean higher campground costs OR - NO ROOM!

Review your liability insurance....possibly there are limitations on the policy as to how many persons in the house, on the property.
Additionly fire codes would allow only certain # of persons per room / building....
We do weddings so unfortunately I can not use this as a tactic as I do for other issues.

This IS the season for this, isn't it? I usually get it mostly from wedding groups....."Hey, what to do between ceremony and reception while the B&G take hours taking pictures? C'mon over to our B&B, we can sit on the porch and eat snacks and drink all their bottled water and soft drinks..."---that must be what they say. No policy yet...usually just do a slow burn and mention that our facilities really are just for registered guests, "and what time will you be leaving?"
I'm interested in all the responses....maybe it's time for a policy. But of course, just having a written policy certainly does NOTHING to eliminate the awkwardness and unease that's involved in enforcing the policy.

This IS the season for this, isn't it? I usually get it mostly from wedding groups....."Hey, what to do between ceremony and reception while the B&G take hours taking pictures? C'mon over to our B&B, we can sit on the porch and eat snacks and drink all their bottled water and soft drinks..."---that must be what they say. No policy yet...usually just do a slow burn and mention that our facilities really are just for registered guests, "and what time will you be leaving?"
I'm interested in all the responses....maybe it's time for a policy. But of course, just having a written policy certainly does NOTHING to eliminate the awkwardness and unease that's involved in enforcing the policy..
" Facilities & amenities are for use of registered guests only." Still, some people (um, many) don't read/listen, & then even though it's awkward you have your policy in place & can just reiterate it...

I'm interested in all the responses....maybe it's time for a policy. But of course, just having a written policy certainly does NOTHING to eliminate the awkwardness and unease that's involved in enforcing the policy..
" Facilities & amenities are for use of registered guests only." Still, some people (um, many) don't read/listen, & then even though it's awkward you have your policy in place & can just reiterate it...

Paradise said:
Simple and sweet. Like that!

Have a sign for these days that states charges for these items and ask them if they are paying for their own drinks or should it go on the bride and grooms bill? might make them think a bit.

Continuing on this little side track....We are in the middle of planning our son's wedding this winter (or I should say the MOB is planning it) and this is exactly the point that I have raised with our son! They are getting married in the early afternoon (only time at the church) and bride and MOB want the reception to start later in the evening. You can NOT have a big gap between the ceremony and reception with 150 guests with nothing to do, especially when almost half of the guests are from out of town. And since guests don't want to have to change out of wedding clothes and get back in them they will, 1) go back to the hotel and drink and return to the reception after over imbibing, or 2) just be fed up and not come back to the wedding, so the bride's parents are paying for dinners that aren't eaten. If there was even the possibility that folks would be staying in a B&B, I'd be all over this from the innkeeper's perspective. For some reason, the MOB thinks it's OK for people to try to find something to do for about 4 hours. We had to insist on and will be paying for cocktails and apps for a short time as guests arrive at the reception while they're finishing up photos at the church. There's nothing more awkward than hanging around waiting for the wedding party.

Back