Guests of guests?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbirds

Reaction score
A question seeking your collective wisdom:
We had guests in town for a high school reunion last weekend. A full house, all for the same reunion. One guest said "I hope it's ok - we asked a couple of friends to come visit."
As it turned out there were 4 visitors in the house; DW gave an impromptu tour when she found one guy roaming downstairs ("I've always wanted to see the inside of this house...")
More than a case of empty beer bottles upstairs, and they were LOUD.
Does anyone have a "guests of guests" policy?
Thanks!!

Given all of the guests were there for the same reason it seems this time was not a bad situation. We have never had guests ask if anyone could come over, they've just showed up. One day it was little kids running all over. It seemed like there were 50 extra people in the house. NOT what I wanted so I stood right in the entryway and made sure I greeted everyone. And they were just nosy, not staying around.
I don't like the 'guests of guests' because I have no idea who they are and pretty much no recourse if they get out of hand (other than throwing them out, which may be too late).
Luckily, it has not been much of an issue, because I don't have a written policy about it.

It's happened only a few times over many years. I don't have a policy, but it they got roudy I would ask them kindly to take their party somewhere else. If it's something you think will happen more because of your location, then definitely make a policy. Then it's your choice to invite them in or not and the registered guest has no room to gripe (but of course they will).

yes .... i had this policy in place ... because it was a tiny village and there were many weddings and parties (and sometimes funerals) in the area, guests often wanted to socialize with others not staying with me and there was, literally, no place to go.
' We want all our guests to feel welcome here, to relax and feel at home. But we do charge for damages caused by guests or persons brought to our inn by guests or for additional cleanup required due to such visits. For the comfort of our registered guests, we reserve the right to request that persons not staying here (guests of guests) leave by 10 pm.'
if people were quiet i did not barge in on a small, quiet group having tea in the library and ask them to leave. but this policy (yes ANOTHER policy) allowed me that option ... and there was a time, my first year, when rowdy drunk people (my own guests included) gave me my first nightmare. house rules also requested that guests observe quiet time between 10 pm and 8 am.
when people are happy, enjoying one another's company, they often don't realize the noise level and disruption, and/or the mess they leave behind. i always took digital pictures of areas if i was going to enforce my 'damages' policy. i NEVER had an argument over additional charges ... i emailed the pictures immediately to the address given so they could see for themselves what had been left. convincing people they need to be quieter RIGHT NOW was much more difficult.

yes .... i had this policy in place ... because it was a tiny village and there were many weddings and parties (and sometimes funerals) in the area, guests often wanted to socialize with others not staying with me and there was, literally, no place to go.
' We want all our guests to feel welcome here, to relax and feel at home. But we do charge for damages caused by guests or persons brought to our inn by guests or for additional cleanup required due to such visits. For the comfort of our registered guests, we reserve the right to request that persons not staying here (guests of guests) leave by 10 pm.'
if people were quiet i did not barge in on a small, quiet group having tea in the library and ask them to leave. but this policy (yes ANOTHER policy) allowed me that option ... and there was a time, my first year, when rowdy drunk people (my own guests included) gave me my first nightmare. house rules also requested that guests observe quiet time between 10 pm and 8 am.
when people are happy, enjoying one another's company, they often don't realize the noise level and disruption, and/or the mess they leave behind. i always took digital pictures of areas if i was going to enforce my 'damages' policy. i NEVER had an argument over additional charges ... i emailed the pictures immediately to the address given so they could see for themselves what had been left. convincing people they need to be quieter RIGHT NOW was much more difficult..
thanks for the replies thus far...
The guest doing the inviting said upon check-out that she was going to invite her sister and family to come over too, but that there were young children involved. She said "I know the kids are rowdy so I didn't mention it to them."
I thanked her for that!
One guy had the loudest voice / laugh I've ever heard!

YES! No unregistered guests in guest rooms.
They can ask to sit in the grounds or community guest areas.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but having guests of guests is similar to renting out all but one room of your B&B to one family or group. We had guests last night tell us that the previous place they stayed was filled with a family (French speaking) and they were the only non-family guests. It made them very uncomfortable and left out.

Given all of the guests were there for the same reason it seems this time was not a bad situation. We have never had guests ask if anyone could come over, they've just showed up. One day it was little kids running all over. It seemed like there were 50 extra people in the house. NOT what I wanted so I stood right in the entryway and made sure I greeted everyone. And they were just nosy, not staying around.
I don't like the 'guests of guests' because I have no idea who they are and pretty much no recourse if they get out of hand (other than throwing them out, which may be too late).
Luckily, it has not been much of an issue, because I don't have a written policy about it..
Forgot to mention the one time we DID have guests of guests that bothered me...because our guests were no where to be found! I met up with them while I was on my walk. Their friends were parked on my porch, with my wine glasses and my wine buckets while my guests were out shopping.

Better check with your insurance company... some will only cover registered guests. We never allowed any others to come in and party with guests. I had a friend who had this happen after a wedding reception, she called me...in tears....as I was assoc. pres. at the time....asking me what to do...they would not leave and were drunk. I told her to call the police. She did and they left.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but having guests of guests is similar to renting out all but one room of your B&B to one family or group. We had guests last night tell us that the previous place they stayed was filled with a family (French speaking) and they were the only non-family guests. It made them very uncomfortable and left out..
NW BB said:
I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but having guests of guests is similar to renting out all but one room of your B&B to one family or group. We had guests last night tell us that the previous place they stayed was filled with a family (French speaking) and they were the only non-family guests. It made them very uncomfortable and left out.
I concurr. We have had guests here for a wedding and decide the bride and groom would come back HERE and open all their gifts, with all the family in tow. They did not RENT THIS SPACE, sorry. I told them no. We had one room booked from this party and the rest were all paying guests and THAT SPACE belonged to them.

Better check with your insurance company... some will only cover registered guests. We never allowed any others to come in and party with guests. I had a friend who had this happen after a wedding reception, she called me...in tears....as I was assoc. pres. at the time....asking me what to do...they would not leave and were drunk. I told her to call the police. She did and they left..
Only had this problem with guests attending reunions, when the group decides to all come back to the B&B because it is nicer.

Better check with your insurance company... some will only cover registered guests. We never allowed any others to come in and party with guests. I had a friend who had this happen after a wedding reception, she called me...in tears....as I was assoc. pres. at the time....asking me what to do...they would not leave and were drunk. I told her to call the police. She did and they left..
Only had this problem with guests attending reunions, when the group decides to all come back to the B&B because it is nicer.
SweetiePie said:
YES! Common space, they can't all go back to a hotel room.

If they are quietly visiting, I let them in the common area. If they are partying, no. All it takes is for one person to slip and fall. They WILL sue you.
Riki

Insurance issues can and should be considered in this matter. No matter if they are drinking, kids playing in the yard or just simply climbing the stairs all of these extra people do place extra liability on the B&B. It seems that we never think of the possibly of a fall or other accident we are usually just wanting to be accommodating if possible.
I placed a 'registered guest' policy for our guest rooms due after one unregistered guest problem which resulted in damages that I could not recover.
Egoodell said: If they are quietly visiting, I let them in the common area. If they are partying, no.
The problem is how to tell if they are going to 'party' or not, or that it begins simply a nice chat, but then becomes a party.
I do not have a no visitor policy but may consider doing something like what SS has used. It sounds like a good plan. You have to think of ALL your guests, YOUR home and insurance.
Bree - I had remembered your story as soon as this topic appeared...just didn't remember who's story it was.
It takes all kinds to make this world go round, just wish some would go to the other side of the world.

We don't permit unregistered guests on the property, except for special events. If the inn guests want to bring people back, we tell them if they'd like to rent the grounds/inn for their gathering, we're happy to give them our special event rates.
wink_smile.gif

We suggest local restaurants, brewpubs, etc that they can go to to socialize.
While they sign and agree to our policies at check-in, we reiterate the "no smoking, no pets and no registered guests" with every check in.
If they are upset about us saying no, before they've even started, imagine what they'll be like once they start drinking.
Ugg, don't get me started.

I added "Registered guests only in guest rooms" because of a small problem with a group. (I am not a fan of group bookings.) There is no problem with them hanging out in the common areas inside or the porches.

Back